Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inThe Airsoft Sniper

Portaying the GAME !!! ( Long, but please read )

Go down 
+14
Insane Mercc
Lone Wolf
Satan
Omega Lambda
Admin
white wolf
HoboBob
JARHEAD
AFU
M14 double-taps
mgunner564
Spl. Durkee
Jax
slob212
18 posters
AuthorMessage
slob212
slob212

Portaying the GAME !!! ( Long, but please read ) Empty
PostSubject: Portaying the GAME !!! ( Long, but please read )   Portaying the GAME !!! ( Long, but please read ) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 7:02 am

How to Present the Game to the uninformed.

This topic or subject has come up many times in the Forum in many different threads and Topic areas, also after being asked by many Members here, I am going to put my thoughts down, and Invite all to take part by adding their feelings on the Subject.

Depending on where you live, Town, City, State or Country all AS Players have different rules, regulations and Laws that they must adhere to, every Violation not only brings the parties involved into conflict with the Local Authorities, it also Damages the Image of the Hobby/Sport and makes it that much harder for the rest of us to enjoy and further develop the Game that we love.

So how do we as a Community support the Game ?

1, Appearance,( Players )

A; Don磘 go walking around the neighborhood in your Uniform and Kit.

Serious sponsors or Event organizers, specifically state that all players should arrive in Civilian clothes, the reason for this is not to make it hard for the Players or to try to Hide the Party Teams, it is to Keep the Game on a Low Profile.

Keeping the Game on a Low Profile is not being done because the Game is Illegal, it磗 being done because to many uninformed either have no clue or have the wrong idea about the game.

B; When putting your Uniform together, keep your style of play in Mind.

If you are going to be playing Backyard AS ( Mistake ), do you really need to be putting a Kit together that costs 700 to 800 dollars ?

Does it make any sense to go running around your Property with a Gas Mask on ?

Be sensitive to your Local communities thoughts and feeling, Depending on where you live, how would the local population react if you and your Team goes running around dressed up like Soldiers of the Third Reich ? This also includes Patches, Buttons or insignias on your Gear or Uniform, Right wing, Racist, Anti-Religious.

In a perfect World there would be no Politics in AS, but for anybody that has been in the game for a while, we all know that it just isn磘 so.

C; AS Weapons and Weapon Transport.

Most of our Replicas are exact 1:1 copies of the Real Steel models, down to the finest detail.

Even most of the Informed can not tell the difference between a Real Steel and AS Replica when they are placed next to each other, How are the Uninformed going to react?

When going to or from a Game/Event, all AS Guns should be transported in a Gun Bad or Case, preferably one that can be locked. Batteries, Magazines and BB磗 should be transported separately.

If you should be stopped by Local Authorities, tell them what you have in the Case/Bag ! Don磘 try to hide the fact that you have an AS Replica, and tell them what you are doing with it, Going to, Coming from, Taking it to, Give them an honest answer and explanation, even in countries where AS is strictly controlled, don磘 try to talk your way out of a sticky situation with lies and deceit, chances are you will be caught, and you will lose your gun.
Police are People to, they don磘 like having their time wasted, and can磘 stand being lied to.

Make sure you know the Laws in your area concerning AS and Replica Guns.
In most countries AS Guns are looked upon as `` Toys 创, but they do fall under different Firearm Laws. Ensure that your Guns comply with all Local Laws !! This also includes the nice add-ons, Tac-Lights, Lasers, Silencers, Grenade Launchers, Bayonets and so on.
If it is Illegal, then leave it alone !! Having a Laser on your gun may be `` Cool 创, but is it so `` Cool 创, that you are willing to risk losing your Gun and paying a hefty fine ?

D; Playing Field

If you are Playing in a Local Green Strip, State Park, Woods or Forrest, Get Permission !!!

Most local Town and City officials will grant permission for the use of land for AS Teams, sometimes they will require a small fee, but nothing that is going to require you to take out a bank loan.
If the Property is Privately Owned, Get permission, and have a written copy of permission with you during games and events.
Inform Local Law !! Chances are they are going to come out to see just what you are doing, but after a few `` Friendly 创 visits, if you are playing maturely, they will leave you alone.
When they do show up, PUT THE AS GUN DOWN !!
You don磘 know if all Officers got the word about your game. Do not approach the Officer, let him/her come to you, make sure they can see your hands, Stay Calm, Polite and Friendly, but not Butt Kissing Friendly. Do what they tell you, and no matter what, be Honest.

6MM Plastic or Bio, cannot compete with 9MM full metal jacket Lead !!!

When you have a Playing Field, Keep it Clean !!!, this also includes cleaning it before you use it the first time.
This serves a few different purposes,
1, Everybody gets to know the Playing Fields Boundaries, Terrain, Danger Areas ( old Wells, open cellars, dumping pits...).

2, Demonstrates to the Locals, that you are serious and mature about your Hobby/Sport !

Do Not build unless you have written permission, building also means constructing a Trench Network.

What you pack in, you pack out ! Nothing more disturbing that going onto a field, and it is littered with Trash.

Use BIO磗, I know this is going to upset a lot of Players, but..
1, Plastic BB磗 are Dangerous to the local wild life.
2, Plastic BB磗 do damage the Environment.
3, After a few games there will be BB磗 Everywhere, you don磘 want to give anybody a reason for shutting you down.

Now, all the above areas are the EASY part !!

Here comes the hard part

Players Attitudes and Vocabulary.
This is going to cause a small Uproar, but read it and first and think before responding.

A; Attitudes

Be humble,
no matter how good you think you are, there is always somebody better or luckier.
Don磘 think for a minute that you are the `` AS Master 创, you know it all, been there, done that, and have the T-Shirt to prove it, because you havn磘 !
With all the constant Upgrades, new innovations, Modifications, Makes, Models, Custom Guns, Nobody can keep up with them all !

Don磘 be afraid to ask `` The Question 创, regardless of how long that you have been in the Game. If you can afford to buy and test all the Equipment on the Market, then you need to open up your own Company !!
Most of us can磘 afford it, so we ask others. Chances are if you have a question about anything to do with AS, somebody else also does. Forget about having a `` NOOB 创 image, there is no such thing, everybody has to start somewhere.

Be Polite,
be so polite that it hurts ! You will find that it has better benefits than than if you are rude.
Other Players, Smiths, Teams are more willing to assist and offer assistance to the individual Player or Team that is polite, than to the Rude `` Know it alls 创. These type of Players or Teams usually get one chance, then they are left alone as if they are infected with Herpes, even when they come begging for Help.

Offer your Assistance.
Like the saying goes, `` You catch more Flies with Honey than you do with Vinegar 创, this applies to AS as well. If you help others freely, politely and humbly, when you need help, others will be falling over each other to help you out when you need it.

Vocabulary,

This is a subject that is close to the Heart for me, so excuse me if this comes across as preaching, but the Individual Player is responsible for how AirSoft is seen and interpreted by the Uninformed.

When we as a Community talk about going onto the `` Battlefield创, for this weekends `` War创, having so and so many `` Kills创 during a `` Gun Fight 创 resulting in the `` Complete Annihilation 创 of the `` Enemy创, then it is not hard to understand how the General Public views AirSoft as a ``Game for Children创 or for ``Wannabe War Hero磗创.

When we are discussing a game or match amongst ourselves in a closed environment, how we talk about what happened or what was done, dosn磘 matter, but....

When we are in mixed company ( Players/Non-Players ), or in/on an open environment, then we as a community full of Mature and Responsible Players have to pay special attention to how we present our Hobby/Sport.

Given AirSoft is a Military Simulation, no discussion or argument from me there, but if we all want to see the further development and improvements in the Overall Picture of the Game, then we have to take responsibility for how we Present it.

Battlefield-The field where a land battle is or was fought. A general action, fight, or encounter, in which all the divisions of an army are or may be engaged.

Yes this definition applies to AirSoft, but it also gives of the implications of all the terrible things associated with a `` Real 创 war, Dead, Wounded, Pain, Suffering, is that how we want AirSoft to be seen or understood ?

Kill(s)-To put to death; to extinguish the life of.

Sorry this word has absolutely nothing to do with AirSoft, or with describing the Playing of the game.

Operation or OP-a military campaign.

Most times this is used to Name or Describe an Event, again it can apply to AS, but when used openly it is compared to Past or Current Real World ``Wars创 ie. Operation Market Garden, Operation Desert Storm, Operation Urgent Fury, Operation Just Cause and so on.
Personally I like when Events, Matches or Games are titled like, Pine Bluff, Gambit, Golden Horizon, Stiletto, for the People in the `` Know 创, these names say more than when they are given an OP, or Operation name.

Other terms that we should avoid,in open discussion
Knife-Kill
Bayonet Charge
Wounded
Hostages
Assassinate
Bombing
Hostage
P.O.W磗

Here is an example, and I have taken the Liberty of using some of the members here in the Story, if anybody is offended, let me know and I will change it.

( Wrong )
Hey ADMIN,
Dude, you missed a great WAR last weekend !!! Alabama-Sniper, Lone Wolf, sticks, Double-Taps, AFU an Me had to go onto the Battlefield and Rescue some P.O.W磗 ( Soft-HIT, mgunner) from Satan, Tank, NCIS, White Wolf, Killer and Snake Eater had them Hog Tied and locked up in a Bunker !!

Bama and LW attacked from the East, just pumping out hundred of rounds, they were able to keep Satan, Tank and white wolf so busy that sticks and AFU low crawled up behind them and Knife Killed them all before they knew what was going on. Then Snake-Eater jumped out of his Spider Hole and drilled both with Head-Shots right between the eyes.

NCIS and Killer saw what was going on, and started a murderous Fire-Fight with Bama and LW , at the same time Snake-Eater tried to sneak around to the flank, but D-T was waiting and dropped him with a solid Nut shot, we started laughing so hard it was hard to keep from getting shot.

By the time D-T an Me got our heads back into the war, NCIS and Killer had managed to barricade themselves into a really good fighting position, and there was just no way that A-S, L-W and were going to be able to take them out, so we made the Plan that D-T and Me would attempt a Suicide Attack, and maybe be able to draw some fire giving the rest the Chance to wipe them out.

After making all Kinds of Noise, and Putting now some heavy fire on their Position, D-T and Me started out to get them, and it almost worked like a charm, about 5 meters out, NCIS jumps up and lets loose with his 203 and Gives me a full blast right in the face !! As a reward for that, D-T put one right between his Lips now NCIS looks like he belongs in the film Wrong Turn, would fit right in with him missing 2 front teeth, HillBilly Pure, LOL

Well to make a long story short, in all the confusion, A-S and L-W were able to Drop Killer and save the day, we took some heavy losses but the Mission was accomplished.

( Better Description, same Game )

Hi Admin,
You were really missed and needed at last weekends Game, Our team was going up against Satan and his Boys ( Nice Team by the way ).
The Scenario was that they had 2 of our Players in their control ( Soft-Hit and mgunner ), and we had to try and get them back to our side.

Well Bama and LW kept Satan and 2 of his players so occupied that AFU and sticks were able to move up from behind and Tap them out before they had any Idea of what was going on, but they let their guard down, Snake-Eater had a fantastic Hide, he jumped out and with some really well placed Hits sent both AFU and sticks to the Re-Spawn with tears in their eyes and rubbing their foreheads.

Well NCIS and Killer saw what happened and really started putting up a hard defense against Bama and LW, using the opportunity Snake-Eater tried to come up on the flank but was stopped short by a shot to the groin from D-T, it was painful to watch but at the same time funny as heck, D-T and I had to struggle to keep our heads in the game, as a result of us loosing control, NCIS and Killer were able to move into a real good position, and it was going to be impossible to finish the game without some radical action from our side, well after a short discussion we decided that D-T and I would try an Flash Attack on their Position, by using alot of noise and movement we were able to draw their attention away from A-S and L-W, we were able to get within 5 meters of their position but then there were a couple incidents of minimum engagement distance violations ( PM for Details ).

Well to make a long story short, As-and L-w removed the opposition, but we took some heavy losses, better luck next time I guess.
After the Game, both teams got together and talked it over, everybody agrees, mistakes were made on both sides, D-T and I apologized to Snake-Eater for laughing when he got Hit, he understands and also had a good laugh over it, so no hard feelings by anybody involved.

P.S. We should really consider Playing with Satan and his Team more often, they know what they are doing and really put up a Good Game.

Tho the second description may not be as colorful, for people that Play the Game, it says exactly the same as the first but in a more mature fashion, to the Uninformed, I hope it also comes across a a fun activity that they might also like to try.

So now here is the final part and probably the most important,

You have the appropriate Uniform,
You have a Playing Field,
You Transport your AS Replicas correctly,
You are Mature, Polite, Humble and Helpful,
You can describe the Game without scaring the Bejesus out of the General Public,

Now get those that are interested onto the Playing Field !!! Show them the right way to Play !!! Police the Players that are giving the Game a Bad Name !!!

( Sorry this went longer than I wanted )
Back to top Go down
Jax
Corporal
Corporal
Jax

PostSubject: Re: Portaying the GAME !!! ( Long, but please read )   Portaying the GAME !!! ( Long, but please read ) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 10:50 am

Refreshing. Nice job, Slob!
Back to top Go down
Spl. Durkee
General Grade 2
Spl. Durkee

PostSubject: Re: Portaying the GAME !!! ( Long, but please read )   Portaying the GAME !!! ( Long, but please read ) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 5:01 pm

Very well said there, Slob. A vast addition to my latter thread on the same controversial subject.

Airsofters are not warmongers. We're hobbyists and in many cases, reenactors and historians.

Last edited by Spl. Durkee on Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : just trying add a few points.)
Back to top Go down
mgunner564
Colonel
Colonel
mgunner564

PostSubject: Re: Portaying the GAME !!! ( Long, but please read )   Portaying the GAME !!! ( Long, but please read ) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 5:21 pm

make me the hostage!......lol jk Very Happy

very good.....i don't know anyone who could have described it better
Back to top Go down
slob212
slob212

PostSubject: Re: Portaying the GAME !!! ( Long, but please read )   Portaying the GAME !!! ( Long, but please read ) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 5:56 pm

First,

Thank you for taking the time to read it, it really went longer than I wanted, guess I spent to much time reading Stephen King, LOL.

Second,
Thank you for the compliments, and please feel free to add to it, and spread the word.

Sincerely
slob212
Back to top Go down
M14 double-taps
M14 double-taps

PostSubject: Re: Portaying the GAME !!! ( Long, but please read )   Portaying the GAME !!! ( Long, but please read ) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 7:48 pm

One word..... sticky.

Well, okay, I have a few more. Very nice Slob, read the whole thing and was interested all the way through. Hope you wont be offended to know I chuckled quite a few times in reading the conroversial interpretation of the story (It was pretty good Laughing ) And better yet was the re-vamp of the story, the one in which you interpret the story correctly, that was really good. I try to do this, but I still catch myself talking about a long-distance "Snipe" or awesome "kill" from time-to-time. All in all I thought it was a really great read, something every airsofter should read and follow, and we can start by stickying this in a few days when everybody has read it.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
AFU
AFU

PostSubject: Re: Portaying the GAME !!! ( Long, but please read )   Portaying the GAME !!! ( Long, but please read ) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 8:23 pm

Brilliant, this needs to be stickied and made into an announcement!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Salkand
JARHEAD
Colonel
Colonel
JARHEAD

PostSubject: Re: Portaying the GAME !!! ( Long, but please read )   Portaying the GAME !!! ( Long, but please read ) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 11:23 pm

i finally decided to read this and i liked it. Im glad satan and his crew, which im in, were included, thanks.
Back to top Go down
http://www.yupyupyup.com
HoboBob
Major
Major
HoboBob

PostSubject: Re: Portaying the GAME !!! ( Long, but please read )   Portaying the GAME !!! ( Long, but please read ) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 11:39 pm

This is very well presented. It tells you everything that should be done as an airsoft player. Good job Slob Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/recon6
white wolf
General
General
white wolf

PostSubject: Re: Portaying the GAME !!! ( Long, but please read )   Portaying the GAME !!! ( Long, but please read ) Icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2009 9:32 am

I think 100% awe
only thing is I would probably be walking in circles.. somewhat my eye others my mind during battle..... ok not my eye Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Portaying the GAME !!! ( Long, but please read )   Portaying the GAME !!! ( Long, but please read ) Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 3:56 pm

Thank you Slob for this article. Very informative, and I hope everyone takes the time to read through it all. If we can just follow these fairly simple guidelines, we'll be helping the name of the game tremendously, and make it a much more enjoyable experience for all of us. I'm going to go ahead and sticky this in hopes to encourage more forum members (and non-members) to take a gander. Keep up the good work everyone.
Back to top Go down
http://www.theairsoftsniper.com
Omega Lambda
Major
Major
Omega Lambda

PostSubject: Re: Portaying the GAME !!! ( Long, but please read )   Portaying the GAME !!! ( Long, but please read ) Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 4:51 pm

Well written slob, good points! Our team is just starting up, and we should definitely put our best foot forward from now on.
Back to top Go down
Satan
Major
Major
Satan

PostSubject: Re: Portaying the GAME !!! ( Long, but please read )   Portaying the GAME !!! ( Long, but please read ) Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 5:24 pm

Well im flattered Slob Embarassed. Very very well written were trying to get a small local game going and we want to host it on our gunner Speds property but we need to convince his parents and this might just what we need.
Back to top Go down
Lone Wolf
General
General
Lone Wolf

PostSubject: Re: Portaying the GAME !!! ( Long, but please read )   Portaying the GAME !!! ( Long, but please read ) Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 6:56 pm

With the fact I won the game in the little story example...YAY GOOD READ!!!

But on a serious note, I have been a example using a restrained vocab in public and my friends who play ussually follow my terms instead of just saying killed, war, battlezone...etc

For the airsoft field we substitute just field, course, or the name of the field "airdog, SACCOM...etc" that way people around us kind of have a idea what we are talking about.
Back to top Go down
http://ontargetairsoft.com/
Insane Mercc
Colonel
Colonel
Insane Mercc

PostSubject: Re: Portaying the GAME !!! ( Long, but please read )   Portaying the GAME !!! ( Long, but please read ) Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 8:57 pm

But......what if you are a warmonger but is mature about it? eh jocolor
Back to top Go down
ncis
Major
Major

PostSubject: Re: Portaying the GAME !!! ( Long, but please read )   Portaying the GAME !!! ( Long, but please read ) Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 10:14 pm

good job, very mature, it shows a well thought out discussion

it shows you actually care about doing it right instead of brushing of the basics!
Back to top Go down
Sgt. Pepper
Corporal
Corporal

PostSubject: Re: Portaying the GAME !!! ( Long, but please read )   Portaying the GAME !!! ( Long, but please read ) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 11:43 pm

well it would appear that im the first one to comment on this this year. Im new to the forum and somewhat new to airsoft and i will definately keep this very well written guide to presenting airsoft to the "uninformed" on my mind. Excellent work slob
Back to top Go down
Gerber
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Portaying the GAME !!! ( Long, but please read )   Portaying the GAME !!! ( Long, but please read ) Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 3:58 am

I need my friend axel to read this. The other day got stopped about half a mile away from his house by this crazy, freaked out, and drunk Veitnam vetran. This guy apparently started yelling obscenities to him because my friend was walking home with an unloaded airsoft gun. Luckily he texted me and I was able to save him, but you would not believe how much this stuff scares the people who don't know about airsofting. The man got so far into it he broke in tears by the time I got there. But really. Scary.
Back to top Go down
Insane Mercc
Colonel
Colonel
Insane Mercc

PostSubject: Re: Portaying the GAME !!! ( Long, but please read )   Portaying the GAME !!! ( Long, but please read ) Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 4:00 am

YAY You read the Stickies! that doesnt happen often
Back to top Go down
Suudarak
Private
Private
Suudarak

PostSubject: Re: Portaying the GAME !!! ( Long, but please read )   Portaying the GAME !!! ( Long, but please read ) Icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2010 2:21 pm

Nice job slob. I have a couple of friends that could probably take notes on this. Once again tho nice job.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Portaying the GAME !!! ( Long, but please read )   Portaying the GAME !!! ( Long, but please read ) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Portaying the GAME !!! ( Long, but please read )
Page 1 of 1