Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inThe Airsoft Sniper

Painting time!!!!

Go down 
+3
JARHEAD
white wolf
Sgt. Pepper
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Sgt. Pepper
Corporal
Corporal

Painting time!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Painting time!!!!   Painting time!!!! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 4:48 pm

Ok, i just got back and i bought three cans of camo paint. Khaki, olive green and brown. One problem... Its too cold outside to use them and my parents wont allow me to paint in the garage with a heater, so whats the best way to do it while its cold? or should i just wait?
Back to top Go down
white wolf
General
General
white wolf

Painting time!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting time!!!!   Painting time!!!! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 4:56 pm

whats the temp. to be exact?
Back to top Go down
Sgt. Pepper
Corporal
Corporal

Painting time!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting time!!!!   Painting time!!!! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 4:56 pm

its about 25 degrees F right now
Back to top Go down
Sgt. Pepper
Corporal
Corporal

Painting time!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting time!!!!   Painting time!!!! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 5:16 pm

and also, as for painting, what should be covered? should i cover the holes with screws or just the moving parts? and what about the iron sight, should that be covered?
Back to top Go down
JARHEAD
Colonel
Colonel
JARHEAD

Painting time!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting time!!!!   Painting time!!!! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 6:57 pm

just sent the message bout covering, and wait my friend. see if your parents will let you open garage and hang it from like the garage door motor.
Back to top Go down
http://www.yupyupyup.com
Sgt. Pepper
Corporal
Corporal

Painting time!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting time!!!!   Painting time!!!! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 7:08 pm

yea, they probably would do that if only our garage wasn't painted white. They're worried about the spray getting on the walls and the cars, so i suggested moving the cars out to let me do this, but they are still concerned about the walls, so i said i would put up some carboard "shields" around where im painting, but that still leaves temperature, so i think i may be better off just waiting till like spring to do this, but if i do end up doing it soon, i may be back for more help.
Back to top Go down
DrummerBoyz95
General Grade 2
DrummerBoyz95

Painting time!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting time!!!!   Painting time!!!! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 7:11 pm

See if they will let you set up an 8 foot area of taped-down newspapers on the ground. then put your gun on a slab of cardboard bigger than the rifle and paint it there. Trust me, if you're like 5 feet away from the walls and you are spraying downwards, no paint will get on the walls.
Back to top Go down
Sgt. Pepper
Corporal
Corporal

Painting time!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting time!!!!   Painting time!!!! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 7:13 pm

ok, will do, but im not expecting them to allow me to today, so i guess i'll wait till tommorow to try this, cuz if i keep nagging its never gonna happen lol
Back to top Go down
Creed769
Colonel
Colonel
Creed769

Painting time!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting time!!!!   Painting time!!!! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 7:25 pm

Do not paint the moving pieces, and tape off all the holes that lead to the interior, youll f up your gun!
Back to top Go down
http://thetruthaboutairsoft.blogspot.com/
DrummerBoyz95
General Grade 2
DrummerBoyz95

Painting time!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting time!!!!   Painting time!!!! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 7:27 pm

Right hehe forgot to tell you about that. Only use masking tape to secure areas because the adhesives from other kinds of tape will leave a residue on your gun.
Back to top Go down
Sgt. Pepper
Corporal
Corporal

Painting time!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting time!!!!   Painting time!!!! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 7:42 pm

what about painter's tape? thats what im using so far and its not leaving anything behind when i peel it off. And btw the only reason im peeling it off is because i put it on messy so im redoing it. I have all the moving parts covered, and i THINK i have all the holes leading to the inside, i'll check
Back to top Go down
DrummerBoyz95
General Grade 2
DrummerBoyz95

Painting time!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting time!!!!   Painting time!!!! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 8:05 pm

Barrel
'ejection' port
and all the others like the bolt assembly, battery compartment door thingy, etc.
Back to top Go down
Sgt. Pepper
Corporal
Corporal

Painting time!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting time!!!!   Painting time!!!! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 8:06 pm

yea i got all those. is that it?
Back to top Go down
DrummerBoyz95
General Grade 2
DrummerBoyz95

Painting time!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting time!!!!   Painting time!!!! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 8:11 pm

Edit: *In reply to the post below..* Okay good.

After you finished the paint, refer to this:

Quote :
Now, depending on the weather, you will want to wait 20 minutes to 2 hours for the paint to completely dry. (if its hot and sunny outside, carefully take your gun outside, taking care not to touch any painted part, even if it looks dry, and leave it, with its box in the sun for about 20 minutes.) Come back when you\'re sure its dry, and, taking a blade of grass, tap the painted parts of the gun in inconspicuous locations to see if its really dry. Now tap a more prominent area, and one that has more paint. If its dry, lightly tap it with your little finger. If its not sticky, tap it just a little harder. If its still not sticky, lightly rub your fingers over the painted parts. If they feel smooth, then its dry. If its sticky, wait just as long as you waited last time, or you will regret it later. If it is ready, carefully pick it up and take it back to the garage. Now take the same color and go over an missed spots using the same caution. Some parts may take up to 5 times to successfully paint before they look their best. Still do NOT hold the can closer than 8 inches, nor hold it longer. If you hold it longer than 5 seconds on any part at one time, you probably ruined your gun. Congratulations. Leave it to dry for a few days. Make sure its dry where you let it dry (ie: your room). DO NOT remove taped sections or the barrel plugs.
Source - wikiHow.com

Last edited by DrummerBoyz95 on Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:17 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Blah, this kinda got messed up. sorry.)
Back to top Go down
Sgt. Pepper
Corporal
Corporal

Painting time!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting time!!!!   Painting time!!!! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 8:13 pm

yup, got that. Well, actually i put paper towel in the barrel and covered the orange tip with tape, then i lined the mag port with tape and stuffed it with paper towel, which im hoping/ guessing will work just fine. *EDIT* i just taped over the paper towel, because i realized if it got saturated, it could get paint in there, so now if anything gets through the tape, it'll be absorbed by the paper towel.
Back to top Go down
DrummerBoyz95
General Grade 2
DrummerBoyz95

Painting time!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting time!!!!   Painting time!!!! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 8:20 pm

Read my edited post above your last one. I thought I was posting a new one but I was editing, then it said you wrote a new one so I changed it and yeah but READ THAT^^^
Back to top Go down
Sgt. Pepper
Corporal
Corporal

Painting time!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting time!!!!   Painting time!!!! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 8:36 pm

lol, i already read it
Back to top Go down
Sgt. Pepper
Corporal
Corporal

Painting time!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting time!!!!   Painting time!!!! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 8:37 pm

My plan is to apply 1 coat every hour, then when i am done with that side, wait till the next day to flip it and do that side, then let it sit for 2-3 days before i use it or take any tape off.
Back to top Go down
lonesniper24
Colonel
Colonel
lonesniper24

Painting time!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting time!!!!   Painting time!!!! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 4:08 am

paint over the orang tip, then go and get orange paint and spray it back on, it looks weid when it has a perfect line from od to orange or any color, it will make it blend into the gun if it's done right
Back to top Go down
http://airsoftchat.lefora.com/forum/
lonesniper24
Colonel
Colonel
lonesniper24

Painting time!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting time!!!!   Painting time!!!! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 4:16 am

Sorry for double post i can't edit my post above, but if you spray 8 - 12 inches away your gun will dry within 10 minutes which is a lot easier then waiting 1 hour, also id like to mention krylon is chip/sratch resistant after 7 day, so it won't come off, or scrach if you rub it up against something unless you take steel wool and scratch it up
Back to top Go down
http://airsoftchat.lefora.com/forum/
Sgt. Pepper
Corporal
Corporal

Painting time!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting time!!!!   Painting time!!!! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 11:27 am

Ok, thanks. And btw, its about uhhhhh.... 3 degrees farenheit here right now, so im gonna have some problems heating my garage.
Back to top Go down
Sgt. Pepper
Corporal
Corporal

Painting time!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting time!!!!   Painting time!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 10:20 am

Ok, its done, BUT it feels weird. Do i just let it sit and let the paint cure, or do i put on a clear coat?
Back to top Go down
Omega Lambda
Major
Major
Omega Lambda

Painting time!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting time!!!!   Painting time!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 9:55 pm

I'm no expert, so don't go on my word alone, but I think you should put on a clear coat as long as it's not a glossy clear coat.
Back to top Go down
Sgt. Pepper
Corporal
Corporal

Painting time!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting time!!!!   Painting time!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 10:42 pm

thats my plan anyway, but thanks
Back to top Go down
JARHEAD
Colonel
Colonel
JARHEAD

Painting time!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting time!!!!   Painting time!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 10:52 pm

wowowo, wait about a day for the paint to harden and settle before anything else. then do the clear coat.
Back to top Go down
http://www.yupyupyup.com
Sponsored content

Painting time!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting time!!!!   Painting time!!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Painting time!!!!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next