Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inThe Airsoft Sniper

Please answer quickly!!!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
br55ftw
Captain
Captain
br55ftw

Please answer quickly!!! Empty
PostSubject: Please answer quickly!!!   Please answer quickly!!! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 6:56 pm

I'm selling my Woodland BDUs, and the buyer is asking if they are ripstop or not. How do I tell?

BTW, he said that it will look like there are white threads running across the inside. I don't know how distinct these threads are, and I'm still not sure...
Back to top Go down
Spl. Durkee
General Grade 2
Spl. Durkee

PostSubject: Re: Please answer quickly!!!   Please answer quickly!!! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 7:01 pm

Heres a bit of info, skim it and maybe you'll recognize some of the information and match it with your BDU's:

Quote :
Ripstop fabric, sometimes called a sports fabric, is a woven, lightweight, nylon-threaded material that resists tearing and ripping. Ripstop fabric can be water resistant and is commonly used for camping equipment such as tents and the outer shells of sleeping bags. It is also used to make hang glider and parasail wings, parachutes, hot air balloons, sails, kites, flags, banners and sports clothes. The tough beating ripstop fabric can take makes it ideal for any application that requires material that won't fail under stress.

While many people assume ripstop fabric is made of nylon, this is only partially true. Ripstop fabric is made by weaving nylon threads throughout a base material in interlocking patterns. Many fabrics can be used to make ripstop fabric, including cotton, silk, polyester, or polypropylene, with nylon content limited to the crosshatched threads that make the material tear-resistant. Nylon material itself is not ripstop fabric unless it is reinforced with crosshatched threading.

Ripstop fabric is easy to identify because of the obvious interlocking nylon threaded patterns in the material. For example, a plastic tarp made of ripstop material has a slightly raised box pattern throughout, while some ripstop fabric exhibits a diamond pattern. Look closely at any tent bag, car or motorcycle cover, umbrella, diaper bag or shopping bag, and you'll see the telltale pattern of ripstop fabric.

Ripstop fabric is so versatile and tough it is widely used outside the private sector as well. Ripstop fabric made from fireproof Nomex® is used for firefighters, while the military uses ripstop fabric for camouflage clothing, packs, gear bags, canvas equipment covers, and much more.

If you've ever tried to tear ripstop fabric, you know it's impossible to get anywhere. The interlocking thread patterns stop any tear from spreading, yet for all of its durability, ripstop fabric can be thin enough to see through! Breathable ripstop fabric is ideal for clothing, and can be found in running shorts, tank tops and jerseys. Sports uniforms are also often made of ripstop fabric.

don't really know how to tell if it is or not...other than "try to rip it" hahah.
Look closely at the stitching and fabric...if it looks like it's been described above, its probably rip-stop. Where did you buy them?
Back to top Go down
DrummerBoyz95
General Grade 2
DrummerBoyz95

PostSubject: Re: Please answer quickly!!!   Please answer quickly!!! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 7:06 pm

OK OK I got it. If the fabric is ripstop, it will look like this: # and if it's not it will just be parallel lines.

So ripstop: vertical and horizontal threads
Non-ripstop: only vertical or only horizontal
Back to top Go down
br55ftw
Captain
Captain
br55ftw

PostSubject: Re: Please answer quickly!!!   Please answer quickly!!! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 7:20 pm

I'm pretty sure now that it's ripstop, but to answer Durkee's question, it was purchased from Galaxy Army/Navy via Amazon. The problem is, they sell ripstop and non-ripstop, and I don't know which one I bought...

The fabric does look kind of like #, but I want to absolutely sure (don't want a neg rating... 50% Positive would not help...). Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Zane
Major
Major

PostSubject: Re: Please answer quickly!!!   Please answer quickly!!! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 8:03 pm

Check the label on the inside..if it has the Army label it is rip stop..if not most likly not. Not fool proof but its somtihng ^^
Back to top Go down
br55ftw
Captain
Captain
br55ftw

PostSubject: Re: Please answer quickly!!!   Please answer quickly!!! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 8:07 pm

Zane wrote:
Check the label on the inside..if it has the Army label it is rip stop..if not most likly not. Not fool proof but its somtihng ^^

...Army label?...
This is the tag:

MEDIUM REGULAR
--------------------------------
Waist: etc,etc
Inseam: etc, etc
STOCK #: blahblahblah
Back to top Go down
Zane
Major
Major

PostSubject: Re: Please answer quickly!!!   Please answer quickly!!! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 9:09 pm

If it says Nato size below, it is mostl likly the real thing and therfore would have ripstop,
Back to top Go down
br55ftw
Captain
Captain
br55ftw

PostSubject: Re: Please answer quickly!!!   Please answer quickly!!! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 9:19 pm

Nah, it's not surplus. Made by Rotcho, something like "Ultra Force BDU."
Back to top Go down
Spl. Durkee
General Grade 2
Spl. Durkee

PostSubject: Re: Please answer quickly!!!   Please answer quickly!!! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 9:20 pm

br55ftw wrote:
Nah, it's not surplus. Made by Rotcho, something like "Ultra Force BDU."

In that case, they are ripstop and have reenforced seams.

Quote :
•REINFORCED SEATS & KNEES
•ADJUSTABLE WAIST TABS
•DRAWSTRING BOTTOMS
•BUTTON FLY
•100% COTTON RIP-STOP MATERIAL
•SIZES: XS-6XL

Souce:
http://www.harrys.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=33_756&products_id=2086
Back to top Go down
br55ftw
Captain
Captain
br55ftw

PostSubject: Re: Please answer quickly!!!   Please answer quickly!!! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 9:28 pm

Danke schön. I told him that it's ripstop, so hopefully I have a buyer. Thread lock please!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Please answer quickly!!!   Please answer quickly!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Please answer quickly!!!
Page 1 of 1