Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inThe Airsoft Sniper

UAV Update: June 2010

Go down 
+7
DrummerBoyz95
Wertuk
alexkmmll
M14 double-taps
white wolf
Zane
Spl. Durkee
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Spl. Durkee
General Grade 2
Spl. Durkee

UAV Update: June 2010 Empty
PostSubject: UAV Update: June 2010   UAV Update: June 2010 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 4:47 pm

I'm behind schedule due to lack of $$$...but I've gotten some cool DIY stuff done with a budget of $0.
Haven't been doing much with it lately...seems I have better things to spend money on (can't get enough of those Burger King double cheeseburgers! Laughing)

But I have taken a step back towards autonimity...but still not full autonomous flight (I'll leave that to the pros).

There is a new code that just came out for Arduino that will initiate a generic "RTB" sequence, having the craft return to the original flight start point via GPS then land using an ultrasonic altitude sensor and slaved control. This solves all problems I had with the need for a killswitch sequence and parachute/streamer-assisted recovery (<---ALOT of unneeded weight). The RTB sequence will either automatically engage when the craft leaves radio range or upon manual call within radio range. I'm even toying with the idea of giving a RTB killswitch to the opposing team with a directional antenna only...so they have the ability to "shoot down" the UAV (make it RTB). But that's for a later date..."Watch your language", I haven't even gotten a decent prototype in the air yet let alone a fieldable/mass-produceable UAV.

Its tricky, as having a generic RTB sequence means the UAV is blind to trees, buildings, and other structures...so part of it is luck.
But hey, operating on luck is better than definitively losing $600 worth of electronics.

At the moment I've spent $487.54 on the project...and its already looking pretty good.
And no...pictures/videos are not going to be posted until I'm completely done (no idea when that'll happen).

Thats the only thing keeping me going right now... Smile
MWAHAHAAHAHH!!!!!!

Really I have soooo many ideas of things to do...from 3D video to using an Xbox controller or Wii remote to operate the uav...just no money to do anything with Sad

I needz a job...

Anyone have any ideas on things they'd like to see on a squad-portable UAV for airsoft?
Back to top Go down
Zane
Major
Major

PostSubject: Re: UAV Update: June 2010   UAV Update: June 2010 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 4:52 pm

Heh..no money sucks..might have to sell my airsoft and kayaking stuff to pay for my ROTC uniforms ><

It would be realy cool if you could add a mini turret that can fire straight down//or just a simple basket that drops BB's below it.

Oo just as I logged of I thought of this....you could use colored baby powder or chalk dust in a little bucket and it could represent a bio wep...woulod be pretty cool since just like real stuff the wind and all would effect it...dust hits you and your out
Back to top Go down
white wolf
General
General
white wolf

PostSubject: Re: UAV Update: June 2010   UAV Update: June 2010 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 5:03 pm

orrrr.... a dodge ball Shocked

it would be fun for it to be 1/1 scale predator and have some way of simulating a hellfire missile
Back to top Go down
Spl. Durkee
General Grade 2
Spl. Durkee

PostSubject: Re: UAV Update: June 2010   UAV Update: June 2010 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 5:10 pm

Zane wrote:
Oo just as I logged of I thought of this....you could use colored baby powder or chalk dust in a little bucket and it could represent a bio wep...woulod be pretty cool since just like real stuff the wind and all would effect it...dust hits you and your out

I like that idea alot. Just dunno how much of the stuff I'd be able to carry as I'm already running a pretty hefty payload.

But I'll look into it...maybe I should pick up another EasyStar and make it an attack version. If I found a way to make all the electronics self-contained, I could just switch the cameras/telemetry back and forth between the airframes. Or just have some kind of module to attach to the original. Hmmm...interesting.

Never really thought of giving it the ability to kick ass...

EDIT:

Nothing to do with the UAV, but I have been toying with the idea of using hobby rockets to deploy sim munitions over long distances...I figure the average D or E rocket motor with the appropriate body would fly 1500+ ft vertical...so on an arch I could probably get even longer distances. Its just a matter of making it safe and having the ability to carry/deploy a munition...and doing it accurately. The mortars Ive been messing with just don't have the range I like.

But again, this idea will likely never be put into practice outside of my imagination, nor should it ever be Laughing

white wolf wrote:
orrrr.... a dodge ball Shocked

it would be fun for it to be 1/1 scale predator and have some way of simulating a hellfire missile
Im fairly sure a 48 ft 1:1 scale UAV based off an existing and operating military UAV (that operates in my area often) would be legal...hahaha
Back to top Go down
Zane
Major
Major

PostSubject: Re: UAV Update: June 2010   UAV Update: June 2010 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 8:52 pm

It would be an easy thing to make...little bucket attached on the bottom with a lid (small proptrusion wards front that could catch air) The airflow would keep the lid closed while in the air, you then use a servo to tip it, when the airflow catches the lip it would open the lid up and voila!...

The downside is youd have to go pretty low or use a heavy powder otherwise the wind will spread it so you can\'t see it at all
Back to top Go down
Spl. Durkee
General Grade 2
Spl. Durkee

PostSubject: Re: UAV Update: June 2010   UAV Update: June 2010 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 9:03 pm

Back to top Go down
M14 double-taps
M14 double-taps

PostSubject: Re: UAV Update: June 2010   UAV Update: June 2010 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 4:28 pm

Spl. Durkee wrote:

Anyone have any ideas on things they'd like to see on a squad-portable UAV for airsoft?

Durability would seem like the biggest aspect to me.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
alexkmmll
Major
Major
alexkmmll

PostSubject: Re: UAV Update: June 2010   UAV Update: June 2010 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 6:01 pm

Well, we have to remember this is a UAV, I think Durkee is going more for the recon role. don\'t people tend to shoot back at things that shoot at them?

IDEAS:
-Rotating Camera on the bottom (Much like the Predetor, although hard to replicate on a small scale)
-Ablility to drop Streamers, Flares, or colored powder to signal targets, meeting points, etc.
EXPENSIVE IDEA
Use a GPS system hooked up to small interlinked GPS devices given to squad leaders/members, and a laptop using the GPS system already in the UAV, you could fly over objects, and using a camera facing down on the UAV, mark the passing objects you are interested in. Using the laptop, you could name these, and give a brief discription. As the GPS's would be interlinked with the computer, you would send the point out to each one, basicly mapping the battlefield for them. The posiblities would be endless. You could map out roads, bunkers, trench systems, buildings, or even enemy positions. Cost would be a problem though.
Back to top Go down
Spl. Durkee
General Grade 2
Spl. Durkee

PostSubject: Re: UAV Update: June 2010   UAV Update: June 2010 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 8:50 pm

alexkmmll wrote:

IDEAS:
-Rotating Camera on the bottom (Much like the Predetor, although hard to replicate on a small scale)
-Ablility to drop Streamers, Flares, or colored powder to signal targets, meeting points, etc.
EXPENSIVE IDEA
Use a GPS system hooked up to small interlinked GPS devices given to squad leaders/members, and a laptop using the GPS system already in the UAV, you could fly over objects, and using a camera facing down on the UAV, mark the passing objects you are interested in. Using the laptop, you could name these, and give a brief discription. As the GPS's would be interlinked with the computer, you would send the point out to each one, basicly mapping the battlefield for them. The posiblities would be endless. You could map out roads, bunkers, trench systems, buildings, or even enemy positions. Cost would be a problem though.
I'm looking at a pan/tilt system at the moment, would only actually cost about $50 plus the cost of gyro-stabilized servos.
So yes, that is an option. I would need to have autopilot probably for that...don't think I could handle controlling the craft and camera at the same time. But there is the option of the experimental "Fly By Camera"...where the plane will calculate a flight plan to keep the camera on a designated point. Its expensive and not very easy to get my hands on...but it is a distant dream of mine.

Ability to drop streamers/etc...definitely looking into pending weight.

And shared-GPS/camera is also a real option. I could very easily stream video/position from my ground station via 3G internet...so any smartphone or laptop could pick it up with 3G (probably wouldn't be too reliable though...internet isn\'t all that great for this kind of thing). Or the cheaper way would be to just have multiple Tx recievers identical to the one on the ground station recieving video from the UAV...they're only like $60 for the reciever. So maybe thats a real option.

Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming!
Back to top Go down
Spl. Durkee
General Grade 2
Spl. Durkee

PostSubject: Re: UAV Update: June 2010   UAV Update: June 2010 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 27, 2010 6:48 pm

Ok I've gotta admit...this might be kinda cool:
http://www.nitroplanes.com/mq9.html#scProductReviews

Ya thats right...an 8 foot wingspan scale model of the MQ-9...and only $140 for an ARF kit.
Hmm...maybe that can be next year's project.

The onboard mock camera turret could easily be fitted with a camera then gyro-servo'd to move.
Add Ardupilot, GPS, and thermopiles and I've got a real deal giant-scale UAV.

How'd you like to see one of these things circling over your OP? hahah

I'm very strongly thinking of buying it before it goes out of stock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvn1c8htAsM&playnext_from=TL&videos=KbJw8S7-RjI&feature=grec_index
Back to top Go down
Spl. Durkee
General Grade 2
Spl. Durkee

PostSubject: Re: UAV Update: June 2010   UAV Update: June 2010 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2010 9:50 pm

Whoa...Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised

Back to top Go down
Wertuk
Captain
Captain
Wertuk

PostSubject: Re: UAV Update: June 2010   UAV Update: June 2010 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2010 11:28 pm

If you could get yours to "perch" somehow like that in the video, you could have it return back and start charging with a proximity charger.
Back to top Go down
Spl. Durkee
General Grade 2
Spl. Durkee

PostSubject: Re: UAV Update: June 2010   UAV Update: June 2010 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2010 11:33 pm

Wertuk wrote:
If you could get yours to "perch" somehow like that in the video, you could have it return back and start charging with a proximity charger.
Oh ya, there is a Northrop Grumman UAV being developed that can perch itself on power lines and draw electricity.
Thats way out of my range of technology...
Back to top Go down
DrummerBoyz95
General Grade 2
DrummerBoyz95

PostSubject: Re: UAV Update: June 2010   UAV Update: June 2010 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2010 11:35 pm

Dude, that is awesome. It'll scare away the pigeons though Razz

When Wertuk mentioned that I was thinking something like a Powermat charger.
Back to top Go down
Spl. Durkee
General Grade 2
Spl. Durkee

PostSubject: Re: UAV Update: June 2010   UAV Update: June 2010 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2010 11:42 pm

Wertuck if you're interested, heres a good document on powerline perching UAV's.

http://groups.csail.mit.edu/robotics-center/public_papers/Moore09.pdf

Back to top Go down
Wertuk
Captain
Captain
Wertuk

PostSubject: Re: UAV Update: June 2010   UAV Update: June 2010 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2010 11:57 pm

Spl. Durkee wrote:
Wertuck if you're interested, heres a good document on powerline perching UAV's.

http://groups.csail.mit.edu/robotics-center/public_papers/Moore09.pdf

THERE IS NO C IN MY NAME!!!!!!!!!!!!! jk, But thats pretty awesome.
Back to top Go down
Spl. Durkee
General Grade 2
Spl. Durkee

PostSubject: Re: UAV Update: June 2010   UAV Update: June 2010 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 7:45 pm

Back to top Go down
Ksquared
Sergeant
Sergeant
Ksquared

PostSubject: Re: UAV Update: June 2010   UAV Update: June 2010 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 9:30 pm

Amen to the BK double cheesburgers!
Back to top Go down
gentry
Major
Major
gentry

PostSubject: Re: UAV Update: June 2010   UAV Update: June 2010 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 11:29 pm

i want to know this i got an old electric traxxas rustler anyway we can mount a turret or camera to it?
Back to top Go down
http://bwbairsoft.proboards.com/index.cgi
Spl. Durkee
General Grade 2
Spl. Durkee

PostSubject: Re: UAV Update: June 2010   UAV Update: June 2010 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 11:39 pm

gentry wrote:
i want to know this i got an old electric traxxas rustler anyway we can mount a turret or camera to it?
You sure can!

Pan/tilt mechanism (anywhere from $15-$200...depends what you're looking for [Ask if you need a link]).
Camera + telemetry equipment ( http://www.rangevideo.com/ )
Back to top Go down
gentry
Major
Major
gentry

PostSubject: Re: UAV Update: June 2010   UAV Update: June 2010 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 11:59 pm

yeah i need a link for the turret
Back to top Go down
Spl. Durkee
General Grade 2
Spl. Durkee

PostSubject: Re: UAV Update: June 2010   UAV Update: June 2010 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 12:33 am

Well I don't have any personal experience with pan/tilt...but this is where my buddy bought his:

http://fpvpilot.com/AntiVibePanTiltMount.aspx
Back to top Go down
Spl. Durkee
General Grade 2
Spl. Durkee

PostSubject: Re: UAV Update: June 2010   UAV Update: June 2010 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 2:09 am

Mockup for multi-rotor UAV

UAV Update: June 2010 Arduco10
Back to top Go down
SnoSnipe
Colonel
Colonel
SnoSnipe

PostSubject: Re: UAV Update: June 2010   UAV Update: June 2010 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 2:21 am

You should make me one! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
gentry
Major
Major
gentry

PostSubject: Re: UAV Update: June 2010   UAV Update: June 2010 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 3:23 am

im in the process of making a new body to mount a camera to it so glad i bought an offroad one just hope battery doesn't die on me. but that looks like it would be pretty good if you got an are where its building/woodland fly it through a window go around corners yep
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UAV Update: June 2010   UAV Update: June 2010 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

UAV Update: June 2010
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next