Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inThe Airsoft Sniper

Vertical Foregrip Placement Tips

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
NoNeed2Hate
General
General
NoNeed2Hate

Vertical Foregrip Placement Tips Empty
PostSubject: Vertical Foregrip Placement Tips   Vertical Foregrip Placement Tips Icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 2:53 am

So I was watching some VTAC videos on youtube, and I always wondered why they had their vert. foregrip so far in front.

I ended up searching it on youtube under "proper vertical foregrip placement"

as a result i found this: http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/vertical-foregrip-placement

The person who wrote this article makes a lot of good points.

I had a chance to place my foregrip farther up the RIS and did notice a big big big difference.

It was definitely easier to control, sweep, and point and shoot.

Hope this is helpful
Back to top Go down
Spl. Durkee
General Grade 2
Spl. Durkee

PostSubject: Re: Vertical Foregrip Placement Tips   Vertical Foregrip Placement Tips Icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 3:07 am

Ok so I shot my first "real steel" M4 Carbine w/vert grip (first time shooting one that had a vertgrip, that is) the day after thanksgiving (owner is law enforcement, also shot his de-milled tommygun Very Happy). His placement was a little strange to me. It was literally on the end of the very end of the rail closest to the magwell.

When I shot competitively with my AR, I almost always was prone...so I'm kinda new to the idea of vert-grips and standing positions, etc...but it was actually really comfortable to shoot. I felt like I was tucked in alot more, was able to get more leverage on the weapon and my silhouette was smaller than it would be if the grip were forward more. Then again, I have nothing to compare it to...but if he's doing it like that, it must work for some people. I guess it's really just personal preference. Personally, my arm would fall asleep if I was reaching forward for the grip.
Back to top Go down
NoNeed2Hate
General
General
NoNeed2Hate

PostSubject: Re: Vertical Foregrip Placement Tips   Vertical Foregrip Placement Tips Icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 3:13 am

I agree with you, that's why I was skeptical about it. I guess it helps for faster target sweeping. (those vtac guys are really good at that)

In that article I read something about something regarding the center of gravity and why the foregrip needs to be well... at the fore. Reduce muzzle climb etc.

The guy who wrote the article was similar to you before, foregrip back and tight hold.
He tried it out one time, didn't work. Then he tried it again and finally understood why i suppose.

A lot of things that I read definitely made sense in that article.

Then again though this is just airsoft. So it will definitely help you with faster target acquisition which i feel is a big problem.

I went around my house using my m4 with the foregrip all the up front, it felt a lot smoother going around corners and easier to handle
Back to top Go down
Spl. Durkee
General Grade 2
Spl. Durkee

PostSubject: Re: Vertical Foregrip Placement Tips   Vertical Foregrip Placement Tips Icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 3:25 am

NoNeed2Hate wrote:
I agree with you, that's why I was skeptical about it. I guess it helps for faster target sweeping. (those vtac guys are really good at that)

In that article I read something about something regarding the center of gravity and why the foregrip needs to be well... at the fore. Reduce muzzle climb etc.

The guy who wrote the article was similar to you before, foregrip back and tight hold.
He tried it out one time, didn't work. Then he tried it again and finally understood why i suppose.

A lot of things that I read definitely made sense in that article.

Then again though this is just airsoft. So it will definitely help you with faster target acquisition which i feel is a big problem.

I went around my house using my m4 with the foregrip all the up front, it felt a lot smoother going around corners and easier to handle

Ok ya, now I kinda see where the article is coming from.

I did the same (totally tactical'd up my house) and it seems I've been doing it wrong all these years...you're supposed to lead a sweep with your forearm pulling the barrel onto target. I think what I've been doing is twisting and turning my back to put sights on target when I'm in an offhand position. I'll definitely have to keep that in mind.

One thing I have noticed from videos and pictures is that the current firefights in Afghanistan are typically longer range, slow-paced, chess-like endeavors...where movement really isn't the priority. I think that's the style that I learned to shoot with (f***ing frontsight instructors!). I was never really taught how to properly adjust between targets or any CQB whatsoever...was really all just prone/kneeling. This makes me want to get back out on the range!!! (And get a refund on Frontsight!)
Back to top Go down
phredryxun92
Sergeant
Sergeant
phredryxun92

PostSubject: Re: Vertical Foregrip Placement Tips   Vertical Foregrip Placement Tips Icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 9:40 am

Well I personally think for airsoft it is personal preference where you place it and what is most comfortable for the user. But real steel is another story seeing as how I have not had a chance to shoot an AR with a vertical grip on it, but I also think it will depend on the user because they will not want it in a position where it is completely uncomfortable.
Back to top Go down
NoNeed2Hate
General
General
NoNeed2Hate

PostSubject: Re: Vertical Foregrip Placement Tips   Vertical Foregrip Placement Tips Icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 3:16 pm

phredryxun92 wrote:
Well I personally think for airsoft it is personal preference where you place it and what is most comfortable for the user. But real steel is another story seeing as how I have not had a chance to shoot an AR with a vertical grip on it, but I also think it will depend on the user because they will not want it in a position where it is completely uncomfortable.

True there is preference, but that would be less effective. It indeed applies to airsoft, it would definitely improve someones cqb ability.

They can go around corners more easily, sweep target more easily.

I'm all in for preference, but effectiveness is a higher perk to me.
Back to top Go down
phredryxun92
Sergeant
Sergeant
phredryxun92

PostSubject: Re: Vertical Foregrip Placement Tips   Vertical Foregrip Placement Tips Icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 7:23 pm

Well if you think about it, if someone is uncomfortable their effectiveness isn't going to be very good. But if you get used to the positioning it should be more comfortable, therefore more effective.
Back to top Go down
Spl. Durkee
General Grade 2
Spl. Durkee

PostSubject: Re: Vertical Foregrip Placement Tips   Vertical Foregrip Placement Tips Icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 8:08 pm

phredryxun92 wrote:
Well if you think about it, if someone is uncomfortable their effectiveness isn't going to be very good. But if you get used to the positioning it should be more comfortable, therefore more effective.
There is a threshold. As I found, the way I'd been taught (the comfortable way) was not the most effective. The purpose behind vert-grips and other assists are to make the most effective way more comfortable.
Back to top Go down
A. sniper
Major
Major
A. sniper

PostSubject: Re: Vertical Foregrip Placement Tips   Vertical Foregrip Placement Tips Icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 10:29 pm

Spl. Durkee wrote:
phredryxun92 wrote:
There is a threshold. As I found, the way I'd been taught (the comfortable way) was not the most effective. The purpose behind vert-grips and other assists are to make the most effective way more comfortable.
yeah, although you might be more comfortable one way, if the other way offers better tactical advantage, then you should start getting used to it. sure it'll be awkward at first, but then you'll get used to it and that will be comfortable and you will have the grip in the best position possible.
Back to top Go down
NoNeed2Hate
General
General
NoNeed2Hate

PostSubject: Re: Vertical Foregrip Placement Tips   Vertical Foregrip Placement Tips Icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 10:50 pm

A. sniper wrote:
Spl. Durkee wrote:
phredryxun92 wrote:
yeah, although you might be more comfortable one way, if the other way offers better tactical advantage, then you should start getting used to it. sure it'll be awkward at first, but then you'll get used to it and that will be comfortable and you will have the grip in the best position possible.

exactly, it takes some getting used to, but once you get used to it that will make it a lot better. you could even consider the way you used to hold it a bad habit~
Back to top Go down
M14 double-taps
M14 double-taps

PostSubject: Re: Vertical Foregrip Placement Tips   Vertical Foregrip Placement Tips Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 1:42 pm

Spl. Durkee wrote:

you're supposed to lead a sweep with your forearm pulling the barrel onto target. I think what I've been doing is twisting and turning my back to put sights on target when I'm in an offhand position.

BINGO!! A huge problem among many players/shooters, one which was very hard for me to shake. I had such a strong habit for it...but you feel so much smoother, more fluid when you make the fix...
not to mention you perform better Laughing

Great thread NN2H!
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vertical Foregrip Placement Tips   Vertical Foregrip Placement Tips Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Vertical Foregrip Placement Tips
Page 1 of 1