Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inThe Airsoft Sniper

Question involving drop compensation

Go down 
+9
Tasada
TheJim
sticks.13
Alabama_Sniper
Sniper004
killyouno5
.25 Gram Sniper
Lone Wolf
AGM Sniper
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
AGM Sniper
Private
Private
AGM Sniper

Question involving drop compensation Empty
PostSubject: Question involving drop compensation   Question involving drop compensation Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 12:04 am

First off, I'm new here and I'm not really sure where to put this. I figured that there would be a pro out there who could probably answer me though. Heres the question; if you were standing on the top of a tall hill, and your target was at the base of this hill, how would you compensate your drop. I am assuming that you would have to do something different in the way you aim, but I could very possibly be wrong. By this i mean do you aim higher or lower than normal?
To kind of add on, what if you were shooting downward and at an angle. I can't really explain this shot any better, sorry Very Happy
If something to this effect was already posted, sorry in advance.

_AGM Sniper
Back to top Go down
Lone Wolf
General
General
Lone Wolf

PostSubject: Re: Question involving drop compensation   Question involving drop compensation Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 12:06 am

hmm nice question.

knowing a few things though about shootin you just have to aim at your target. when your shooting from the base to the top is when you have to compensate for gravity.
If your target is right at the base you don't need any compensation. however if they were 100 ft. away from the base you may need to rely on target compensation to get a good shot.
Back to top Go down
http://ontargetairsoft.com/
.25 Gram Sniper
Major
Major
.25 Gram Sniper

PostSubject: Re: Question involving drop compensation   Question involving drop compensation Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 12:09 am

Welcome to the forum AGM Sniper. In the first situation I would just aim at the target normally, but that's just me. As for the second situation I can't really help because I don't understand the question. Very Happy

By the way: If somebody was on the top of the hill I would aim a little higher due to gravity and such.
Back to top Go down
http://theairsoftsniper.com
AGM Sniper
Private
Private
AGM Sniper

PostSubject: Re: Question involving drop compensation   Question involving drop compensation Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 12:27 am

Let me try to reword the second question.
Lets say you are on top of the hill, point A. The target in question one, directly below you at the base, is point B. Now add a third target, point C, at the base of the hill but to the extreme left of point B. Basically you are shooting down and left, so would there be an extra amount of right pull on the bb?

haha so much for simplyfing the question Smile hope it somewhat clarified it though
Back to top Go down
killyouno5
Major
Major
killyouno5

PostSubject: Re: Question involving drop compensation   Question involving drop compensation Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 1:44 am

why wouldent you just turn that way you are facing point c and your bb doesnt care where it goes it just goes where you shoot it but lets say there is some wind from that agle that the hill is blocking for point b then yes you would have to compinsate by aiming to the left or right of where the wind is coming from that way the wind will carry the bb to its target. Hopefully that helps.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=567300653
Sniper004
Sergeant
Sergeant
Sniper004

PostSubject: Re: Question involving drop compensation   Question involving drop compensation Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 1:58 am

ur on the hill aming down. on downward shot you aim highier (i don't know why thats just the way it is). sry i couldent be more of a help
Back to top Go down
killyouno5
Major
Major
killyouno5

PostSubject: Re: Question involving drop compensation   Question involving drop compensation Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 2:48 am

i think it is because the bb will stay at its velocity and gravity will pull it down so your fps will stay about the same only the bb will most likely drop some but not as much as if you were shooting straight.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=567300653
Sniper004
Sergeant
Sergeant
Sniper004

PostSubject: Re: Question involving drop compensation   Question involving drop compensation Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 1:42 pm

i was watching top sniper on tv and there was a part when the had to shoot out of a helicopter (downwards) and they specifically stated to aim highier than usual
Back to top Go down
Lone Wolf
General
General
Lone Wolf

PostSubject: Re: Question involving drop compensation   Question involving drop compensation Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 5:33 pm

that makes some sense but of course aiming downwards your bullet will want to fly nose first at 90 degrees into the dirt. so Im guessing yes you would still need to compensate from a high point
Back to top Go down
http://ontargetairsoft.com/
Alabama_Sniper
Colonel
Colonel

PostSubject: Re: Question involving drop compensation   Question involving drop compensation Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 6:58 pm

It just depends on how talle the hill and how far away you are from your target . Not to mention the fps rating of you gun . Also wind and other varibles are key in making this shot count . Could you be more specific .
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/alabamaairsoft
sticks.13

PostSubject: Re: Question involving drop compensation   Question involving drop compensation Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 7:06 pm

I'm agreeing with A_S, also it depends on the hop-up setting.

sticks
Back to top Go down
Alabama_Sniper
Colonel
Colonel

PostSubject: Re: Question involving drop compensation   Question involving drop compensation Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 7:37 pm

Ah good catch sticks I neer even thought of that one .
Back to top Go down
AGM Sniper
Private
Private
AGM Sniper

PostSubject: Re: Question involving drop compensation   Question involving drop compensation Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 9:16 pm

I use an AGM Mp001, lol after much thought i figured that would be the best for me, but thats a topic for another post. It was supposed to arrive today, but UPS screwed something up so i will be getting it tomorrow. Supposedly it shoots 400 out of the box, and thats about as specific as i can get Alabama. Thanks for all the help, i am really starting to like this forum Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Alabama_Sniper
Colonel
Colonel

PostSubject: Re: Question involving drop compensation   Question involving drop compensation Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 9:56 pm

Well tell us ore about the gun whenever you get it and I would love to help you , and about the 400fps rating . Now don't get panicked whenever I say this but , your gun won't shoot that , well probally will but only with 0.12 gram bb's , I suppose that you will get up grades and such in the future .
Back to top Go down
AGM Sniper
Private
Private
AGM Sniper

PostSubject: Re: Question involving drop compensation   Question involving drop compensation Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 10:21 pm

Yeah the website says 350-400 hundred with .20, so i kind of figured it would be lower than that. I just posted a question under the spring mod/upgrade, check it out.
Back to top Go down
Alabama_Sniper
Colonel
Colonel

PostSubject: Re: Question involving drop compensation   Question involving drop compensation Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 10:25 pm

0.28s are about the lowest grade bbs a sniper should use .
Back to top Go down
AGM Sniper
Private
Private
AGM Sniper

PostSubject: Re: Question involving drop compensation   Question involving drop compensation Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 10:27 pm

Are there any stores that carry 2.8's or do i have to buy them offline? sorry if we're getting off topic Very Happy
Back to top Go down
sticks.13

PostSubject: Re: Question involving drop compensation   Question involving drop compensation Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 10:29 pm

You will have to get them online, there plenty of online stores that have them in Bio and Non Bio.
Edit: fixed typo
sticks

Last edited by sticks.13 on Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Alabama_Sniper
Colonel
Colonel

PostSubject: Re: Question involving drop compensation   Question involving drop compensation Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 10:35 pm

Not exactly he can find them online , as a matter of fact due to location that is where I have to get mine .
Back to top Go down
AGM Sniper
Private
Private
AGM Sniper

PostSubject: Re: Question involving drop compensation   Question involving drop compensation Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 11:06 pm

What is the best, in yall's opinion, weight for a 350-400 fps? I don't need a whole lot of range, mainly just consistancy and accuracy.

also, where do you order them? Which online store?
Back to top Go down
sticks.13

PostSubject: Re: Question involving drop compensation   Question involving drop compensation Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 11:11 pm

Well its all personal preference, like as far as I go I want the most accuracy I can get out of my guns. So I would go with a .30 gram BB at 400FPS. Ill be shooting 330ish FPS but the added accuracy is amazing. A good medium for 400FPS ish guns are .25G BB's.

You have to find what fits your playing style the best, A_S may call me crazy for wanting to use .3G BB's in a 400FPS gun, his playing style may require him to use .25's with a 450FPS gun.

Sniping is one of the most expensive roles in airsoft, if you can't spend the time/money on it then I would send your gun back and get an AEG ASAP.

sticks
Back to top Go down
AGM Sniper
Private
Private
AGM Sniper

PostSubject: Re: Question involving drop compensation   Question involving drop compensation Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 11:19 pm

I don't have any problem spending the time on sniping. I'm quite drawn to the whole "spend 4 hours doing nothing but scouting and only take 5 shots" aspect of sniping, and i certainly love the thrill of sneaking up on somebody in my ghillie, but i want to be sure this is really what i want before i drop 500 bucks on a rifle. don't get me wrong, i have nothing against the super-snipers, i just want to master the basics before i upgrade. The way i figure it, you should rely more on your own skills rather than your super upgraded rifle to get you out of situations. Again, nothing against the good guns
Back to top Go down
.25 Gram Sniper
Major
Major
.25 Gram Sniper

PostSubject: Re: Question involving drop compensation   Question involving drop compensation Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 11:59 pm

Congratulations on getting the Mp001. That was my second gun that I bought until I sold it 4 months later for $50. I now have the Well L96.
Back to top Go down
AGM Sniper
Private
Private
AGM Sniper

PostSubject: Re: Question involving drop compensation   Question involving drop compensation Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 3:12 pm

It arrived yesterday, and I have to say it is better than I expected. It may be because I have never used an airsoft sniper rifle before, but the accuracy is amazing. As dumb as it sounds, i let my brother shoot me from twenty yards, just to get a feel for how much it hurts. (Police do this with tazers so the officer doesnt over use it) and it made me bleed and welted. Granted, I only had a tee-shirt on, but it still hurt Shocked
Thanks for all yall's help so far, i can't wait to really start using my rifle
Back to top Go down
.25 Gram Sniper
Major
Major
.25 Gram Sniper

PostSubject: Re: Question involving drop compensation   Question involving drop compensation Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 6:37 pm

Hope you were wearing glasses. Or you could have gotten shot in the eye. cyclops
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question involving drop compensation   Question involving drop compensation Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question involving drop compensation
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next