Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inThe Airsoft Sniper

Radio Comm Etiquette and Jargon

Go down 
+5
Jarhead999 76 65
Zane
Omega Lambda
Insane Mercc
Spl. Durkee
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Spl. Durkee
General Grade 2
Spl. Durkee

Radio Comm Etiquette and Jargon - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio Comm Etiquette and Jargon   Radio Comm Etiquette and Jargon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 11:12 pm

br55ftw wrote:
I have a question also, what is the difference between saying "solid copy" and "roger?" Such as:

"Saber One to Saber Three, over."
"Saber Three here, go ahead."
"Saber Three, we've sighted some possible enemy contacts at your two-o'clock, break. Could you deal with them, we're in kind of a bad position here, over."
"Solid copy, One, we'll get them, out."
OR
"Roger that, One, we'll get them, out."

Solid copy really just means "I recieved that 100%"...
"Solid copy" is to "copy" as "definitely" is to "sure"...

"Good copy", "Roger," "Solid copy," "Good"...are all interchangeable for the most part.
Back to top Go down
sticks.13

PostSubject: Re: Radio Comm Etiquette and Jargon   Radio Comm Etiquette and Jargon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 17, 2010 7:55 pm

Keep in mind Jarhead that you want to keep transmissions as small as possible in MilSIm/real world. If a transmission is to long then you give the enemy the ability to track the radio signal, and or decode the message easier than if it were to include some shorthand.

When you identify who you are speaking to you do not need to keep identifying who you/the other person is. Other transmissions between other people should be nil to non existent after you start speaking. This means you can drop 1 to 2 seconds minimum. This gives you 1-2 seconds more transmitting time to relay info/orders. This may not work on a command net, especially at open plays or non milsim games. But at a more milsim game everyone should know to STFU when two people are transmitting.

Avoid words such as "break, interrogative" and the like. You should say "over" when you are done transmitting. This also drops precious seconds when transmitting. Usually reserve shorthand radio traffic to guys you have played with allot/an experienced CO/XO/RTO. If someone tells you off for shorthand just shrug it off. they have probably watched Generation Kill 1 to many times and get all of their radio knowledge from it or CoD....

sticks
Back to top Go down
br55ftw
Captain
Captain
br55ftw

PostSubject: Re: Radio Comm Etiquette and Jargon   Radio Comm Etiquette and Jargon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 17, 2010 7:59 pm

sticks.13 wrote:
If someone tells you off for shorthand just shrug it off. they have probably watched Generation Kill 1 to many times and get all of their radio knowledge from it or CoD....sticks

Or Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SnoSnipe
Colonel
Colonel
SnoSnipe

PostSubject: Re: Radio Comm Etiquette and Jargon   Radio Comm Etiquette and Jargon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 3:59 pm

I wrote this up for my team, and with a little help from a few websites, and my prior information. I am posting it here because if I wrote anything wrong, I would like it corrected, and I believe that a few of the points covered in this were not previously covered, and therefore can be learned from. I thought this would be the correct way to post this.

Snosnipe wrote:

Basic Radio Etiquette and Jargon
Credit to Mikeg from http://www.wiki.bf2s.com
Credit to the firefighters at www.nifc.gov

Q Signals

Q Signals are used to abbreviate common sentences
QSA: What is the strength of my signal? (1-5)
QRK: The strength of your signal is... (1-5)
“Receiving 5 of 5” indicates that the signal is perfect (100%)
These numbers are to be announced when a radio check is called
A proper radio check would go as follows:
X: “Any Station, this is X. Radio Check, over”
Y: “X, this is Y, roger, over”
X: “Y, this is X, roger, over”
OR
“Y: X, this is Y, Be advised that your transmission is broken and distorted, over”
“X: Y, this is X, roger, out”

Report of Signal Strength (QSA)
5 (Loud) (80%-100%)
Your signal is very strong
4 (Good) (60%-80%)
Your signal is good
3 (Weak) (40%-60%)
Your signal is weak
2 (Very Weak) (20%-40%)
Your signal is very weak
1 (Fading) (1%-20%)
Your signal strength is fading to the extent that continuous reception cannot be relied upon

Report of Readability (QRK)
5 (Clear)
Excellent Quality
4 (Readable)
Quality is satisfactory
3 (Unreadable)
The quality of your transmission is so bad that I cannot read you
2 (Distorted)
Having trouble reading you because your signal is so distorted
1 (With Interference)
Trouble reading due to interference

Basic Understanding of Etiquette

Roger = I have received and understand orders.
Wilco = I have received and understand instructions, and will comply with them
Affirmative = Yes
Negative = No
“OUT” does not always mean end of conversation, it just means that you have heard all that you need to hear, and have said all that you need to say. NEVER say out to a higher rank, as it can be taken as disrespect. It is their decision as to when the conversation ends
BE SURE TO SAY “OVER” AFTER EACH TRANSMISSION
When “SILENCE” is announced (pronounced french like SEE-LONS), all radio communication must cease. This can only be interrupted if a life-or-death situation is occurring
When “SILENCE FINI” is announced (pronounced french like SEE-LONS FEE-NEE) Then silence should be lifted and regular radio commands should resume
Do not swear on radio
Do not say please, it takes too long and is not worth it, and it sounds un-professional
DO NOT SAY HELP UNLESS IT IS A MEDICAL EMERGENCY – SAY ASSISTANCE!!!
Do not call people by their names on a radio- everyone is issued a number. It is a good idea to have everyone's number written down until memorized.

Common Jargon

Go ahead: Pass along transmission (be sure to pay attention after saying this)
Say again: Repeat last transmission
Standby: Transmission received and understood, but am unable to respond at this time
En Route: Headed to destination.
- All destinations are to be named DZ and then a number. This must be understood by all using the radios, and if possible, not by the people not using them. “En Route to DZ-3” is the proper way to say this. “Arrived at DZ-3” is the proper way to announce over radio that you have arrived at the destination, and that you are ready for further orders.
Contact: Contact has been made with enemy and is currently being engaged
- When calling “Contact”, you should also say the nearest DZ to you. For example:
X: “999 (your call-sign), Contact at DZ-6, over”
At this point you can let everyone know if you need assistance
X: “999 (your call-sign), Contact at DZ-6, assistance, over”
Be sure to keep a calm, collective voice when calling anything over radio
Disregard: Ignore last transmission

How to Make Yourself Sound Smarter
Think before you speak
Leave out the “AHs” and “OHs”. These sounds very much alike over radio, and should be avoided whenever possible
Use short words as often as possible, the longer the word, the harder to understand
Remember than anyone can be listening, including the enemy. Try to censor everything you say
Do not shout into radio or put radio too close to your mouth. This is annoying, and also causes more distortion

I also have the phonetic alphabet and the pronunciations of the numbers on a table at the bottom of the real copy. Let me know what you think, as this is my first informative paper I have ever written voluntarily.
Back to top Go down
Spl. Durkee
General Grade 2
Spl. Durkee

PostSubject: Re: Radio Comm Etiquette and Jargon   Radio Comm Etiquette and Jargon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 17, 2010 5:51 pm

/facepalm

Ok...I just want to reiterate..."10-4" is not an appropriate radio comm term...
Ten-codes are LAW ENFORCEMENT...you will never hear a servicemember say "10-4" as "I copy".

Back to top Go down
alexkmmll
Major
Major
alexkmmll

PostSubject: Re: Radio Comm Etiquette and Jargon   Radio Comm Etiquette and Jargon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 10:51 pm

Durkee, also add that the word "Repeat" should never be used over the radio, unless you litterally want artillery to repeat their fire pattern. You may want to make sure they know that it is "Say again" and not "repeat". Just a suggestion
Back to top Go down
Spl. Durkee
General Grade 2
Spl. Durkee

PostSubject: Re: Radio Comm Etiquette and Jargon   Radio Comm Etiquette and Jargon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 11:15 pm

alexkmmll wrote:
Durkee, also add that the word "Repeat" should never be used over the radio, unless you litterally want artillery to repeat their fire pattern. You may want to make sure they know that it is "Say again" and not "repeat". Just a suggestion

HAHAHA that's funny...thanks for that tid-bit, I never knew that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Radio Comm Etiquette and Jargon   Radio Comm Etiquette and Jargon - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Radio Comm Etiquette and Jargon
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2