Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inThe Airsoft Sniper

Accusing snipers for being Designated Marksmen? (long but interesting)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
lonesniper24
Colonel
Colonel
lonesniper24

Accusing snipers for being Designated Marksmen? (long but interesting) Empty
PostSubject: Accusing snipers for being Designated Marksmen? (long but interesting)   Accusing snipers for being Designated Marksmen? (long but interesting) Icon_minitimeSun Dec 13, 2009 3:57 pm

So the other day I didn't want to really go to math so I went to the library instead and watched TV, well they have to put something educational on because of all the rules and what not (you know what I'm talking about) I kinda sat down and just started watching the commercials waiting for the show to come on, well it was the start of a show talking about Designated Marksmen. So I am going to share the info I learned, with you guys.

First and for most I am going to start out what a DM really is. He/she is a regular infantry with a Semi Automatic gun, and a scope. They dress and look like any other infantry, they get trained almost exactly the same way and all that. Their main purpose is to fix the gap between what regular infantry weapons shoot at (M16 shoots 300 Meters) and a Sniper Rifle shoots (1000 Meters +) A DMR shoots at 600 meters and still has take down power. the only thing is a DM stays with the unit, squad where a sniper goes off alone or with a spotter.

So reading that paragraph you can conclude that we have all been telling anybody that has a semi automatic sniper rifle a DMR even though they are still a sniper. I'm also letting you guys know snipers as of today use Semi Automatic rifles.

Vietnam's Effect on Designated Marksmen
Now for the background on a DM. They started back in Vietnam where to many American troops where getting killed because of snipers at a farther distance then what there weapon could reach (remember most m16s could only shoot about 300 meters and be accurate also they didn't have scopes they only had iron sites.),

So the US military wanted to start putting snipers in every unit and use them to keep the troops covered in case of a sniper, as you can imagine it became to much of a hassle because of all the training differences and them being nothing alike. Then they finally figured it out, put a scope on a rifle that has a longer barrel to give it more range and accuracy. Then Vietnam ended before it could get off on to its feet.

Start of the Gulf War
Again the same thing happened troops were getting killed by snipers just this time the military took action much sooner and started training people to use scopes, The two main rifles were either the M14 with a scope on it (not M21 still an M14 I forgot the main difference between them) and the M16a3 with a mounted scope, and put these troops in the units and squads fixed that distance gap. Plus they got trained the same way as a regular infantry and stuff so it caught on very fast.

Okay, thats the difference, a DMR is only considered a DMR if the player is with the squad at all times playing as an anti sniper and fixing the distance gap, if they go out and move alone then they are considered a Sniper with a sniper rifle. So I think we all need to give an appology to every body we told that had a semi automatic sniper rifle, and said they had a DMR.
Back to top Go down
http://airsoftchat.lefora.com/forum/
Spl. Durkee
General Grade 2
Spl. Durkee

PostSubject: Re: Accusing snipers for being Designated Marksmen? (long but interesting)   Accusing snipers for being Designated Marksmen? (long but interesting) Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 3:41 am

Yessur you are quite spot on about all your facts. On another note, however, there are many situations, commonly in urban hide operations, where DM's operate overwatch in support of the primary fire-team. One of the more famous examples took place near the Green Zone in Iraq soon after Baghdad was occupied by US forces. A multitude of insurgents still remained in the city and wreaked havoc on the region. Many branch DMs were broken up from their conventional squads (unofficially) to operated in 2-man fireteams exclusive from the main fighting force. In essence, DMs are simply infantry grunts that scored above average on their marksmanship courses so were given cooler guns Razz
Back to top Go down
Satan
Major
Major
Satan

PostSubject: Re: Accusing snipers for being Designated Marksmen? (long but interesting)   Accusing snipers for being Designated Marksmen? (long but interesting) Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 12:23 am

Lol well that just somes it up right there durkee, but in honesty it really does i mean what DM can not be accused of wandering away from the sqaud once in a while.
Back to top Go down
lonesniper24
Colonel
Colonel
lonesniper24

PostSubject: Re: Accusing snipers for being Designated Marksmen? (long but interesting)   Accusing snipers for being Designated Marksmen? (long but interesting) Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 12:42 am

well im not saying they are stuck with the squad at all times, i mean its not best to only have a semi auto rifle while storming a builing, and for AS rules at most fields say you have to be so far with a rifle that has so much fps, so at small feilds you have to play farther away and go off alone. i watched that part where they were talking about the fireteams, but i was trying to stay on topic of the difference and how many snipers use semi auto rifles.
Back to top Go down
http://airsoftchat.lefora.com/forum/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Accusing snipers for being Designated Marksmen? (long but interesting)   Accusing snipers for being Designated Marksmen? (long but interesting) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Accusing snipers for being Designated Marksmen? (long but interesting)
Page 1 of 1