Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inThe Airsoft Sniper

Are "sniper rifles" good?

Go down 
+3
gentry
mgunner564
Kapurono
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Kapurono
Private
Private

Are "sniper rifles" good? Empty
PostSubject: Are "sniper rifles" good?   Are "sniper rifles" good? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 6:53 am

I am sorry, I am sure this question sounds inherently stupid, but hear me out.

A friend and I recently had a debate over whether "sniper rifles" were at all viable in airsoft battles. I said they were, but he remains convinced that they have NO advantages over standard fully auto assault rifles, as the "projectile is limited by its shape and spin". We are by no means experts on the subject of competitive airsofting, so I thought I would take the discussion here.

So, do "sniper rifles" have any advantages over standard fully automatic AEGs etc.? If so, what are they?
Back to top Go down
mgunner564
Colonel
Colonel
mgunner564

PostSubject: Re: Are "sniper rifles" good?   Are "sniper rifles" good? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 11:42 am

Yes, but with some conditions. If the gun isn't upgraded you have to have above average field craft and be very good at sneaking around. If your gun is upgraded then yes they can compete with AEG's. I have put over $300 and countless hours of tuning into my Bar10 And it is more accurate and has a longer range than any other gun on my field.....

As for Advantages, they are usually much quieter (Unlike mine, which has a SPR %250 spring) than an AEG and re wayyyyy more reliable. They will function in the rain, snow sleet and the occasional rabid squirrel attack. Razz If you good at your job and practice a sniper and his un-upgraded rifle will wreak havoc on the field.
Back to top Go down
gentry
Major
Major
gentry

PostSubject: Re: Are "sniper rifles" good?   Are "sniper rifles" good? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 11:45 am

i upgraded my utg l96 and it is hitting people at 200 feet accurately
Back to top Go down
http://bwbairsoft.proboards.com/index.cgi
Creed769
Colonel
Colonel
Creed769

PostSubject: Re: Are "sniper rifles" good?   Are "sniper rifles" good? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 2:36 pm

They are good, don't get me wrong, but an AEG can do the same stuff.
Back to top Go down
http://thetruthaboutairsoft.blogspot.com/
A. sniper
Major
Major
A. sniper

PostSubject: Re: Are "sniper rifles" good?   Are "sniper rifles" good? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 3:02 pm

Creed769 wrote:
They are good, don't get me wrong, but an AEG can do the same stuff.
not true. an upgraded sniper rifle in the hands of an experienced sniper can hit enemies from a much farther distance than most aegs. also, if the sniper is experienced in camoflauge and field craft then the enemy won't be able to find him because sniper rifles are so quiet. hence, he can pick them off all day and they never even have the chance to fire on him.
Back to top Go down
lonesniper24
Colonel
Colonel
lonesniper24

PostSubject: Re: Are "sniper rifles" good?   Are "sniper rifles" good? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 4:23 pm

Ehh this is kind of hard to explain so I will try my best. The sniper rifles are good no matter how you look at it with upgrades, they give you more range and power and better accuracy at longer distances if you know what your doing.

I personally have come up with the conclusion that these two things are uncompilable. Looking at how airsoft is played Milsimers/Airsofters that own an AEG and like to play more of the assault position tend to make them multi purpose rifles. Meaning they can still use it for mid range and close range while staying within the regulations of the field and or state they live in. Meaning most airsofters that aren't their teams designated marksman or sniper see no point in getting there rifles to shoot 400ft accurate with 550fps.

It makes it impossible for them to use it anywhere except at long distances or fielding so the average player makes there guns shoot at 330fps to 380fps with upgrades to still make them accurate up to maybe 150ft 200 max. While the airsoft snipers and designated marksmen are looking to get every last inch out of the shot. So they can sit and pick people off and confuse distanced targets. These are two very different positions that really can't be compared.

in a summary to what I just said.
Snipers look to get distance, power and accuracy while riflemen look to get multi purposes out of there guns.
Back to top Go down
http://airsoftchat.lefora.com/forum/
Creed769
Colonel
Colonel
Creed769

PostSubject: Re: Are "sniper rifles" good?   Are "sniper rifles" good? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 6:17 pm

Quote :

not true. an upgraded sniper rifle in the hands of an experienced sniper can hit enemies from a much farther distance than most aegs. also, if the sniper is experienced in camoflauge and field craft then the enemy won't be able to find him because sniper rifles are so quiet. hence, he can pick them off all day and they never even have the chance to fire on him.

Maybe, but an upgraded AEG can do that and be full auto. It may be louder, but not much.
Back to top Go down
http://thetruthaboutairsoft.blogspot.com/
Spl. Durkee
General Grade 2
Spl. Durkee

PostSubject: Re: Are "sniper rifles" good?   Are "sniper rifles" good? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 9:35 pm

A. sniper wrote:
not true. an upgraded sniper rifle in the hands of an experienced sniper can hit enemies from a much farther distance than most aegs.

How is that true at all, "a.sniper"?
An "upgraded" pencil sharpener could "hit enemies from a much farther range than most" AEGs, GBBs, or springers...if you "upgrade" it enough.

I'm not understanding where you guys are coming up with these assumptions that springers somehow naturally have longer range and better "accuracy"...
The only difference between an AEG's and springers is instead of your pulling back and releasing the spring...a machine does it for you.

Has absolutely nothing to do with the "accuracy" or range.

"Oh totally dude, snipers kick butt...totally gunna pwn some noobs from 500 feet"
It's a classic newbie mistake to, for one reason or another, believe that airsoft replicas have any performance resemblance to their real-world counterparts.

Simply put.
They. don't.

Kapurono, I'm going to tell you right off that bat...don't get into the "sniper" game.
People go into it thinking they'll be the "badass sniper guy sitting in a hole wearing a ghillie suit picking off bad guys from 200 feet with his 'super totally awesome upgraded sniper rifle of awesomeness'".

I'm going to partially quote your original post when I say:
No. a "sniper rifle" has 0 "advantages over standard fully automatic AEGs".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are "sniper rifles" good?   Are "sniper rifles" good? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Are "sniper rifles" good?
Page 1 of 1