Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inThe Airsoft Sniper

Getting in and out of the Hot Zone

Go down 
+6
slob212
elementfrvr
Lone Wolf
.25 Gram Sniper
pasniper21
TheJim
10 posters
AuthorMessage
TheJim
Sergeant
Sergeant
TheJim

Getting in and out of the Hot Zone Empty
PostSubject: Getting in and out of the Hot Zone   Getting in and out of the Hot Zone Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 7:07 pm

What are your techniques for getting in and out of the Hot Zone?

In this thread I am not looking at a DM's role, but that of a pure sniper, meaning that either one or two people are involved.

My techniques have two different styles that we call 'Hard Movement' and 'Soft Movement' Which one we use differs depending on the game type, season (visibility through foliage, noise underfoot etc.) gameplay area size, likelyhood of being detected.

'Hard Movement'
This is one that I primarily use by myself. It involves travelling light and fast (I will post pictures of my Heavy and Light kits later on, so for now just get a good idea by listening). My light kit consists of:

-BDU light shirt and trousers
-3 colour face paint
-Boonie hat or brimmed beanie in OD since it is less likely to fall off when running. There is usually some artificial foliage in my hat and on my shoulders but NEVER a full ghillie.
-My rifle (1 mag in, 3 mags in the cheek pad pocket giving a total of 120 rounds which is more than enough) Without bipod (too much weight)
-Sometimes (but usually not) my sidearm (G18c AEP by TM)
-One smoke grenade
-Radio
-Very small water bottle and lucozade tablets

Note that there is no tac vest or belt rig, knee or elbow pads or even a dump pouch, allowing me much more mobility than any other sniper or AEG player. It also helps that I have a very high level of fitness and can run quite fast (not 350fps but still Razz )

I use this tactic more in autumn/winter when visibility is much higher due to less vegetation, and is a tactic to be used in games where you will probably not be required to stay in one place for an extended period of time. Shorter games, games where objectives need to be reached and held (even the longer games of this type) etc. and preferably at a site you know well. This will be explained in the next sentence.

Getting in:
The tactic is, as soon as the game begins, sprint as far as you can get before you get to where you believe you will start to come into visual range of anyone on the other team attempting the same thing. At this point, hit the deck in the most sheltered and camouflaged place you can find, make sure you are well hidden and have a clear avenue of escape. Your spot will almost certainly not be the perfect sniper spot in terms of camouflage and of a vantage point, but you should be able to see at least 50 metres in front of you clearly and out to 100 metres be able to see movement. (for those of you in the USA, 30m is 98.4ft Smile )

At this point, you should stay totally still and keep your eyes peeled (don't be looking down your scope until you see movement) and try to get a broad view of your environment. Now you wait and engage or report targets to suit your objective.

Getting out unopposed option 1:
If the objectives for the game have been completed, or the enemy have diverted, or even not taken the route that your position was overlooking, simply stand up cautiously, look around slowly and move position. Try to make sure you make a long, sweeping curve back towards friendly territory so you know you won't be taken by surprise by enemies who have outflanked your main force. REMEMBER to radio ahead your direction of approach so you don't get Blue-on-Blue'd! You can now try either rejoining your team as a DM moving with the main force or making a long sweeping curve to the flank, making sure you put some distance between yourself and your enemies so you are not detected. Move fast, but not as fast, and use caution.

Getting out unopposed option 2:

If the objectives for the game have been completed, or the enemy have diverted, or even not taken the route that your position was overlooking, simply stand up cautiously, look around slowly and move position. You will now delve deeper into enemy territory. Still move fast, but not as fast, and more cautious, in long sweeping curves around your enemy's flank to launch another attack or set up an OP and spot for your team.

Getting out when opposed:

If your position has been compromised, or is likely to be compromised i.e. when the enemy get to within 50 metres, you will probably not be able to rely on your camouflage to protect you, so letting them walk past is not really an option, It is better to pre-empt a withdrawal than gamble on not being seen. The best way to to this is to fire a well aimed shots followed by some more shots (don't take long to get these perfect) This should get them on the deck. As you see them get into covered positions and become more static while they work out where you are, let off the smoke grenade and, if you have a sidearm, spam rounds at them randomly as the smoke thickens while backing up. Then SPRINT away back toward your team. The enemy will be taking cover and most likely on the deck, carrying heavier equipment and having hopefully taken a casualty or two if you're lucky or a very good shot. You will be on your feet and moving very fast away, already at max AEG distance and covered by smoke. There should be no way that you will get hit, and they will most likely not follow you if they have any sense.

'Soft Movement'
This is more often used with a spotter but can be used on your own. It depends of your style of play with regard to how you weigh the advantages and disadvantages of having a spotter that will affect your decision. For this I use my Heavy Kit:

-BDU Jacket and trousers often accompanied by a ghillie depending on season and site
-3 colour face paint
-Boonie hat if not using a ghillie, otherwise a ghillie hood.
-Camelback filled with water (don't put ice in it, the cold will cause tension in your muscles and make your aim and movement less comfortable and less precise. It may not taste as refreshing but it is just as hydrating which is what matters
-Rifle with bipod for stability on long ops
-Sidearm
-Belt kit consisting of:
+ 1 Medium utility pouches holding magazines and ammunition for rifle and sidearm
+ 1 Medium utility pouch for use as a dump pouch and for carrying tools, site map, chocolate and other general bits and pieces
+ Radio pouch with Cobra MT800 radio (PTT)
+ Grenade pouch with 2 smokes and 3 bangs (bangs at my local site kill everyone within 5 metres who isn't behind solid cover)
-Lucozade tablets and sometimes a bottle of poweraid
-Insect repellant

My spotter's loadout (if he's with me)
-BDU's
-Camo basebeall cap or ghillie hood if we're wearing ghillie's
-Camelback
-M4 S-System with scope, silencer, bipod
-Tac-vest with spare mags, radio and grenades
-Whatever else he has with him (it's not entirely my responsibility)

I/We use this tactic when there is more vegetation and/or a less familiar site, or for longer games that are more milsim oriented and slower paced.

Getting in:
Make sure you know exactly where you are required to be. Set off at a fast walking pace or slow jog to get to within 200 metres of your target area. Now slow down. The best way to move is for one of you to stay still and use hand signals to draw the other slowly forwards. Both of you should have maximum awareness of your surroundings. Then the number two stops, crouched or prone, and signals the number one to move up. Overlapping like this means that you move stealthily yet steadily towards your target area. If you see enemy movement it is best to remain still and prone, observing where the enemy is going. Depending on your current situation and level of ghillie, you can decide whether you would be prepared to let them walk past you, confident that you won't be seen. If you are not confident, make sure you set a distance of how close you will allow them to get before you open fire. If they come within this distance, take them out, if not, it's best to let them walk past, then radio their position to the main force.

If you if you encounter no opposition or you have let them walk past, proceed to your target area. Remember to have a route of escape from your target area, that it is well covered and a good vantage point. Once you're at your target area, complete whatever objectives are appropriate (observe, take out key targets, report back to base, generally disrupt enemy or harrass targets etc..)

Getting Out unopposed:
Cautiously get up and move to your next objective using the aforementioned overlapping technique. Make sure your movements are fluid and slow. Make sure you stop at shorter intervals and wait for longer periods between moving if you are moving deeper into enemy territory, and allow yourself to span a larger distance and shorter times between overlaps if you are moving back towards friendly territory.

Soft movement in this way is the best way of slipping through an enemy's fingers, remaining undetected. Myself and my spotter have used this technique to sneak past an enemy position only 20 metres away. Admittedly moving the 50 metres to dense cover was whilst prone, ghillied and took about 15 minutes.

Getting out when opposed:
If you see enemy approaching your position, first assess several things; are they likely to walk directly towards you? How many are there? How well armed are they? how well hidden are you by the foliage and your ghillie? How much firepower do you have? Is your position easily defended? Do your objectives ahead take presedence over taking out these guys?

If they are likely to walk directly at you, then no amount of camo will let you remain undetected (them stepping on you would be a giveaway lol). In which case you have two options; if it is a small force (up to 4) then it will probably be best to let them get into maximum distance of a likeley hit (usually 50 metres) then open fire on them with both your rifle and your spotter's AEG, and you'll have a very good chance of taking them all out since you took them totally by surprise. Of course you'll definately have to relocate now since they will be back after respawn with a vengeance, and telling your team that they will most likely attack from that side again (which is now undefended) is essential.

If it's a medium sized group (4-6) then it's best to take out as many as possible before they start returning fire, then follow the 'Hard Movement' procedure of grenades and AEG fire from both you and your spotter coupled with a smokescreen to escape.

If it's a large group (7+), follow to the letter the 'Hard Movement' procedure at maximum range, before they get within accurate AEG range.

If they are unlikely to walk directly onto your position, and more likely to walk past you, assess whether taking out these targets would benefit your team more than completing your primary objective. If it's a team of up to 5, wait for them to go past then shoot them in the back as they reach the limit of your MED. Obviously it would be unwise to press on now with the primary objective unless they were on the opposite side to the direction you're headed since they will regen and come after you, so in this instance move position slightly and defend this route, applying the above tactics as appropriate. If it's a group larger than 5, let them pass and radio ahead the warning to your team. Make sure that you are aware of your back now since they might go past you as they go to regen.

If your primary objective takes precedence, then let them pass even if it's a small squad.

Hope this helped. Remember these are not set in stone, you can mix them up depending on what needs doing. You can go in Soft, get out Hard or go in Hard, Get out Soft (ROFL at that last one)

Jim out.
Back to top Go down
TheJim
Sergeant
Sergeant
TheJim

PostSubject: Re: Getting in and out of the Hot Zone   Getting in and out of the Hot Zone Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 1:08 pm

Feedback would be appreciated, this took me a WHILE lol

Jim
Back to top Go down
pasniper21
Sergeant
Sergeant
pasniper21

PostSubject: Re: Getting in and out of the Hot Zone   Getting in and out of the Hot Zone Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 3:02 pm

Lol great post very helpful to a newbie like myself.
Back to top Go down
.25 Gram Sniper
Major
Major
.25 Gram Sniper

PostSubject: Re: Getting in and out of the Hot Zone   Getting in and out of the Hot Zone Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 7:03 pm

Very good post and I LOL'd at the end when you said "Get out Soft". One question is "If there would be a hill or something would it be used for a sniper spot?" scratch
Back to top Go down
http://theairsoftsniper.com
TheJim
Sergeant
Sergeant
TheJim

PostSubject: Re: Getting in and out of the Hot Zone   Getting in and out of the Hot Zone Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 5:16 pm

Well It depends. Is the hill easily defended? Is it a good lookout spot? Is it in a good place to see the objective? How close can you see enemies approaching and most importantly- is it somewhere where the enemy might look for a sniper?

Jim
Back to top Go down
Lone Wolf
General
General
Lone Wolf

PostSubject: Re: Getting in and out of the Hot Zone   Getting in and out of the Hot Zone Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 7:08 pm

nice guide jim. printing///
Back to top Go down
http://ontargetairsoft.com/
.25 Gram Sniper
Major
Major
.25 Gram Sniper

PostSubject: Re: Getting in and out of the Hot Zone   Getting in and out of the Hot Zone Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 7:17 pm

Well, TheJim you answered my question by just questioning me....That's weird... Laughing
Back to top Go down
TheJim
Sergeant
Sergeant
TheJim

PostSubject: Re: Getting in and out of the Hot Zone   Getting in and out of the Hot Zone Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 7:26 pm

Haha thx for the feedback guys
Back to top Go down
.25 Gram Sniper
Major
Major
.25 Gram Sniper

PostSubject: Re: Getting in and out of the Hot Zone   Getting in and out of the Hot Zone Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 7:35 pm

Quote :
Haha thx for the feedback guys

Anytime man! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
elementfrvr
Captain
Captain
elementfrvr

PostSubject: Re: Getting in and out of the Hot Zone   Getting in and out of the Hot Zone Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2008 6:22 pm

Great post you covered all of the bases. Shocked
Back to top Go down
slob212
slob212

PostSubject: Re: Getting in and out of the Hot Zone   Getting in and out of the Hot Zone Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2008 10:32 am

@ TheJim

Great Post !!!!! cheers

I Like how you included the flexability to each method and how easily the tactic can be adjusted depending on the opposing players.
Back to top Go down
TheJim
Sergeant
Sergeant
TheJim

PostSubject: Re: Getting in and out of the Hot Zone   Getting in and out of the Hot Zone Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 4:57 pm

Lol thx. Thats the main thing that I dislike about people having very precise tactics- they are often inflexible Of course tactics have to be well thought out, but you need to be able to mix it up if something goes wrong.
Back to top Go down
STAT
Corporal
Corporal
STAT

PostSubject: Re: Getting in and out of the Hot Zone   Getting in and out of the Hot Zone Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 6:03 pm

nice post, bound and cover take high ground if there, form a fire line if you can Smile
GOOD POST did i say that?
Back to top Go down
http://www.smtactical.com http://www.tango-5.com
GeneralMDBK
Private
Private
GeneralMDBK

PostSubject: Re: Getting in and out of the Hot Zone   Getting in and out of the Hot Zone Icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2008 3:41 am

great post! i generally prefer the tatic "getting out when opposed' because when i snipe my cousin is generally a spotter for me and when the opposing team realizes what area im generally in he will flank 10yds to the left or right in a curve and draw fire. if done correctly i will startle the team making them hit the deck and depending on the size of the force i can take out a good number of them before retreating or just get out perfectly safe and be able to report.
Back to top Go down
bboy.snow
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Getting in and out of the Hot Zone   Getting in and out of the Hot Zone Icon_minitimeFri Apr 16, 2010 5:56 am

you could do anyone of those things but my way is do attach a lighter to the end of my gun and i attached that to a preshure switch and i light smoke bombs and throw them in every direction then run for it, then i prone in the spot i want to snipe from (i do the same to get out) (and a carry a back pack full of them so i don't run out)
smoke bombs attract alot of attention!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
diablo@sdm
Private
Private
diablo@sdm

PostSubject: Re: Getting in and out of the Hot Zone   Getting in and out of the Hot Zone Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 2:35 pm

In regards to the soft movement with a two person sniper team it isn\'t a good idea to engage a force bigger than your own as you exfil. Especially elevating yourself from soft to hard by engageing enemies and throwing grenades and using smoke. You minus well pop a flare and say here we are lol. Its always better to retreat the same quiet way that you came in. Its not like the movies where you engage everything in sight. Snipers are not assaulters and are not equipped to be either. It is not uncommon in a combat zone for a sniper team to not fire a single shot mission after mission. There missions are surveillance, observation and reconnaissance.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting in and out of the Hot Zone   Getting in and out of the Hot Zone Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Getting in and out of the Hot Zone
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Sniper's Nest :: Tactics-
Jump to: