Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inThe Airsoft Sniper

So - is it an M4 or an M16? (Squeemish first post that could be in the wrong spot...)

Go down 
+4
Lone Wolf
iliveforthis99
slob212
TechGeek001
8 posters
AuthorMessage
TechGeek001
Private
Private
TechGeek001

So - is it an M4 or an M16? (Squeemish first post that could be in the wrong spot...) Empty
PostSubject: So - is it an M4 or an M16? (Squeemish first post that could be in the wrong spot...)   So - is it an M4 or an M16? (Squeemish first post that could be in the wrong spot...) Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 6:07 am

Hi all,
My latest purchase (which should be showing up in a few days) is a rifle that I can only identify as an American weapon.
So - is it an M4 or an M16? (Squeemish first post that could be in the wrong spot...) AEG_GG_016_R4_lg
As you can see, it's a carbine (about 150mm shorter than an M16 by the same company) but it does indeed have a full stock. This leads me to question exactly what makes an M4 what it is, versus an M16. The only conclusion I've drawn is that the difference is the stock - is this the case? ...does an M16 Carbine even exist?
Back to top Go down
http://www.projectxenon.org
slob212
slob212

So - is it an M4 or an M16? (Squeemish first post that could be in the wrong spot...) Empty
PostSubject: Re: So - is it an M4 or an M16? (Squeemish first post that could be in the wrong spot...)   So - is it an M4 or an M16? (Squeemish first post that could be in the wrong spot...) Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 8:33 am

The M-16 has a 20 inch barrel and a hard plastic stock.
The M-4 has(military version) has a 14.5 inch barrel and a hard plastic 6 position collapsible stock.
The M-16 tends to be more accurate at long range than the M-4.
The M-16 tends to be more reliable due to the longer barrel allowing more gas pressure to cycle the bolt a bit more reliably.
The M-4 is easier to handle in confined spaces due to the shorter barrel.Beyond that they are basically the same gun.

Just a note: The M-4 and the M-16a2 are the military versions of the AR-15 family of rifles.They are select fire which means that they have the ability to fire both semi-automatically and in 3 round burst. The M-16a1 was full automatic.
The Reciever Parts ( Upper and Lower ) are identical ( minus the Carrying Handle of course ), it is the additional attachments that turn an M16 into an M4.
Back to top Go down
iliveforthis99
Colonel
Colonel
iliveforthis99

PostSubject: Re: So - is it an M4 or an M16? (Squeemish first post that could be in the wrong spot...)   So - is it an M4 or an M16? (Squeemish first post that could be in the wrong spot...) Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 12:47 pm

To be exact M4 Carbines are semi and 3 round burst while M4A1's replaced burst with full auto. M16A1's were semi and full, A2's and A4's replaced full auto with burst, while the A3 is again full auto and semi. Both the A3 and A4 have removable sight/carrying handles like standard M4A1's.

Now as for your gun there i don't think it actually exists as a military rifle, never seen an M4 with a solid stock in use before. It takes away part of the carbine design of the M4. I want to say i've seen civilian AR15's with solid stocks but i can't recall exactly, i'm sure there are though since there's only a few differences. Basically though as an airsoft gun, the solid stock just lets the gun be wired to the back making installing and taking out the battery a little easier then if it was in the handguards. You can also fit larger batteries in it as well.
Back to top Go down
http://cvaa.webs.com
TechGeek001
Private
Private
TechGeek001

PostSubject: Re: So - is it an M4 or an M16? (Squeemish first post that could be in the wrong spot...)   So - is it an M4 or an M16? (Squeemish first post that could be in the wrong spot...) Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 11:35 pm

So, should I just call it an M16 carbine and move on?
Back to top Go down
http://www.projectxenon.org
Lone Wolf
General
General
Lone Wolf

PostSubject: Re: So - is it an M4 or an M16? (Squeemish first post that could be in the wrong spot...)   So - is it an M4 or an M16? (Squeemish first post that could be in the wrong spot...) Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 11:38 pm

Yea even G&G calls that model the GR16 for a reason.

The one thing that is not standard is the shortened RIS system.
Back to top Go down
http://ontargetairsoft.com/
SCcrusaders
Private
Private
SCcrusaders

PostSubject: Re: So - is it an M4 or an M16? (Squeemish first post that could be in the wrong spot...)   So - is it an M4 or an M16? (Squeemish first post that could be in the wrong spot...) Icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2009 3:06 am

That looks similar to an AR-15.
Back to top Go down
Omega Lambda
Major
Major
Omega Lambda

PostSubject: Re: So - is it an M4 or an M16? (Squeemish first post that could be in the wrong spot...)   So - is it an M4 or an M16? (Squeemish first post that could be in the wrong spot...) Icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2009 4:36 am

Idk what to call her, but she's got a mean rate of fire. Very fun to shoot.
Back to top Go down
iliveforthis99
Colonel
Colonel
iliveforthis99

PostSubject: Re: So - is it an M4 or an M16? (Squeemish first post that could be in the wrong spot...)   So - is it an M4 or an M16? (Squeemish first post that could be in the wrong spot...) Icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2009 12:37 pm

SCcrusaders wrote:
That looks similar to an AR-15.

That's because the AR15 is the civilian version of the M4.
Back to top Go down
http://cvaa.webs.com
sticks.13

PostSubject: Re: So - is it an M4 or an M16? (Squeemish first post that could be in the wrong spot...)   So - is it an M4 or an M16? (Squeemish first post that could be in the wrong spot...) Icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Its just a M4 with a full sized stock.

If you guys want to get technical, a M16 carbine could be any of the following. XM177(e1,e2), M733, M933, CAR15, etc etc.

My brother has the CA version and loves it. Personally I'm not a fan of the bulk the stock adds to the M4.

sticks
Back to top Go down
SCcrusaders
Private
Private
SCcrusaders

PostSubject: Re: So - is it an M4 or an M16? (Squeemish first post that could be in the wrong spot...)   So - is it an M4 or an M16? (Squeemish first post that could be in the wrong spot...) Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 1:32 am

iliveforthis99 wrote:

Ya true there. But i know a friends dad who owns a M4 Assult Rifle...
Is that illegal? Just wondeirng.
Back to top Go down
Spl. Durkee
General Grade 2
Spl. Durkee

PostSubject: Re: So - is it an M4 or an M16? (Squeemish first post that could be in the wrong spot...)   So - is it an M4 or an M16? (Squeemish first post that could be in the wrong spot...) Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 1:33 am

SCcrusaders wrote:
iliveforthis99 wrote:

Ya true there. But i know a friends dad who owns a M4 Assult Rifle...
Is that illegal? Just wondeirng.

Not legal in California even with a "Class C" dealer license. Depends really when he bought it and exact specs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So - is it an M4 or an M16? (Squeemish first post that could be in the wrong spot...)   So - is it an M4 or an M16? (Squeemish first post that could be in the wrong spot...) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So - is it an M4 or an M16? (Squeemish first post that could be in the wrong spot...)
Page 1 of 1