Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inThe Airsoft Sniper

Need suggestions on a rifle...

Go down 
+7
Undertaker
DrummerBoyz95
elementfrvr
iliveforthis99
Zane
Lone Wolf
M14 double-taps
11 posters
AuthorMessage
M14 double-taps
M14 double-taps

Need suggestions on a rifle... Empty
PostSubject: Need suggestions on a rifle...   Need suggestions on a rifle... Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 3:49 pm

So, this year for my birthday, I didn't get much, but was told by my dad that I can pick out a rifle in the coming weeks for myself...and I'm TAKING ADVANTAGE OF IT!! Twisted Evil
Any suggestions?
~I will be hunting with it
~Don't let a big price tag scare you, I'm open for all suggestions
~Preferrably Bolt Action, but definately not limited to.
~Not my first firarm by any means, so don't suggest some dinky youth training rifle!! Razz
~We love .30-06's
I was looking at a $1200 M1, but I didn't think it would be the best to hunt with.
Let's hear it fellas!!
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Lone Wolf
General
General
Lone Wolf

PostSubject: Re: Need suggestions on a rifle...   Need suggestions on a rifle... Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 3:56 pm

I would look at Savages then. .30-06 is great, but I prefer .308 for hunting.
Back to top Go down
http://ontargetairsoft.com/
Zane
Major
Major

PostSubject: Re: Need suggestions on a rifle...   Need suggestions on a rifle... Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 4:25 pm

I would recomend the Remington model 700 SPS stainless, its what I use for hunting (.308 win) I have nothing but [raise for it, if you like the .30-06 more you might want to look at the model 700 Alaskan TI, if I had the money I would buy this its a beutifull rifle and weights only 6 pounds.

Need suggestions on a rifle... 700SPS-SS
Link to description.

Need suggestions on a rifle... 700alaskanti-prod
Link to description.
Back to top Go down
iliveforthis99
Colonel
Colonel
iliveforthis99

PostSubject: Re: Need suggestions on a rifle...   Need suggestions on a rifle... Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 7:19 pm

R700s are nice and would be on my list of great bolt-action rifles. Friend of mine has a hunting version R700 and he really likes it.

Another one i'd recommend would be like an M38 or M44 Mosin-Nagant. Never hunted with one before but they are loads of run to shoot. The ammo has similar power of a 30-06 and i believe it's cheaper as well.
Back to top Go down
http://cvaa.webs.com
elementfrvr
Captain
Captain
elementfrvr

PostSubject: Re: Need suggestions on a rifle...   Need suggestions on a rifle... Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 7:45 pm

My vote goes to the .30-06 winchester model 70, aka Carlos "White Feather" Hathcock's rifle.
Back to top Go down
DrummerBoyz95
General Grade 2
DrummerBoyz95

PostSubject: Re: Need suggestions on a rifle...   Need suggestions on a rifle... Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 8:50 pm

Mosin-Nagants at the local Big5 Sporting Goods go for under $200, and I've seen deals that bring it down to $90. I'm not even joking, $90 for a Yugoslavian model of a Nagant. Of course there are better rifles if you have a no-limit price, but I just thought I'd put that out there..
Back to top Go down
Undertaker
Corporal
Corporal
Undertaker

PostSubject: Re: Need suggestions on a rifle...   Need suggestions on a rifle... Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 8:52 pm

If you want something truly unique there is always the Colt AR-15. It is the M4 without being fully automatic. Here is a link, http://www.ar15pro.com/item/60757_Colt_Rifles_Shotguns_COLT_M4_CARBINE_5_56_16_.aspx
It will run you about $1300, but it would be something truly unique
Back to top Go down
DrummerBoyz95
General Grade 2
DrummerBoyz95

PostSubject: Re: Need suggestions on a rifle...   Need suggestions on a rifle... Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 8:58 pm

Oh ya, https://www.youtube.com/tnoutdoors9
This guy uses a Bushmaster Varminter AR15 that seems real nice. Check out his scopecam videos they're pretty cool.
Back to top Go down
mgunner564
Colonel
Colonel
mgunner564

PostSubject: Re: Need suggestions on a rifle...   Need suggestions on a rifle... Icon_minitimeFri Dec 25, 2009 6:12 am

if you do most of your hunting on the woods use a 44 mag carbine or a 12 G. slug gun. i use the 44 and my dad uses the slug gun.....it'll make a deer do a frontflip XD
Back to top Go down
aveenvp
Major
Major
aveenvp

PostSubject: Re: Need suggestions on a rifle...   Need suggestions on a rifle... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 3:28 pm

Back to top Go down
Spl. Durkee
General Grade 2
Spl. Durkee

PostSubject: Re: Need suggestions on a rifle...   Need suggestions on a rifle... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 3:40 pm

Geeze, what happened to good old fashion black pouder 50 cal muzzle loaders? You get extended hunting seasons if hunting with BP and its so much more rewarding. Nothing like staring down the sights at a nice buck...squeezing the trigger...and having to wait for a couple minute for the smoke to clear to see if you hit anything Razz The one I have now uses regular 9mm primers rather then the ever-so-elusive blasting caps, which cuts cost and chance of malunction.

Last edited by Spl. Durkee on Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
sticks.13

PostSubject: Re: Need suggestions on a rifle...   Need suggestions on a rifle... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 3:47 pm

Go with a M1a if you have the money. Not only could you kill multiple dear at the same time! But its a great country defense tool!

jk

For a deer/elk/anythinglargerthanasquirle rifle I personally would go with savage 10fp in 30-06 or .338 lapua. The lapua would be best if you have the money, this would be a badass rifle for distance/comp shooting. However if your family has a bunch of other 30-06 rifles then why stray away from a great round? The reason I would go with the 10fp is because of that badass trigger system they have. Go to a guns tore and dry fire the 10fp and a remmy 700 side by side, you will notice a difference. Also, don't forget to top her off with some great glass, why pay for a great shooter and mount glass that can't hold a zero?

sticks
Back to top Go down
M14 double-taps
M14 double-taps

PostSubject: Re: Need suggestions on a rifle...   Need suggestions on a rifle... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 6:57 pm

All great suggetions so far, but I guess I should've put in the description that I'm looking for something.....unique Three of my friends have Savages, And Remington is a great maker Zane, love em, but those two rifles are just so....plain, nothing unique about them. Also, I prefer Iron sights.

About the Mosin-Nagant, I'm buying one with my own dough for $150, if I can't talk him down more than that.
I've also got my eye on an old S&W revolver, a=which will also be bought with my own money.
Back to top Go down
mgunner564
Colonel
Colonel
mgunner564

PostSubject: Re: Need suggestions on a rifle...   Need suggestions on a rifle... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 7:50 pm

a 44mag carbine is unique
Back to top Go down
Zane
Major
Major

PostSubject: Re: Need suggestions on a rifle...   Need suggestions on a rifle... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 8:09 pm

The problem with unique is usualy it's crap, not always becouse of quility but becouse of maintenance and other issues, honestly in my opinion only a idiot hunts with a AR-15. AK-47, and 44 mags ( In the US, there is notihng big enough to need that) ect.

If your goal is to be unique for yourself get a good .308 and get into PALMA shooting, it takes great skill, dedivation, and hours of hard work. In case you didnt know PALMA is a shooting discipline where a shooter lies in a prone position. Rifle caliber is limited to .308 and the marksman shoots out to distances of 1000 yards using iron sights.

Theres nothing more unique then being able to accuratly shoot at a distance like that.

If you are looking for somthing like that tho why not the Dragonov SVD, they can be ordered at any gun smith and is one of the more interesting looking rifles imo.
Back to top Go down
aveenvp
Major
Major
aveenvp

PostSubject: Re: Need suggestions on a rifle...   Need suggestions on a rifle... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 9:52 pm

you could go with a smaller round and get a marlin lever action. Thats pretty unique IMO.
Back to top Go down
Spl. Durkee
General Grade 2
Spl. Durkee

PostSubject: Re: Need suggestions on a rifle...   Need suggestions on a rifle... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 11:36 pm

If you want something unique...get into muzzle-loaders.
Back to top Go down
mgunner564
Colonel
Colonel
mgunner564

PostSubject: Re: Need suggestions on a rifle...   Need suggestions on a rifle... Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2009 12:08 am

i would but i like my RoF to be more than 1 RPM XD

a Thompson Center pistol with interchangeable barrels are sweet. they have (off the top of my head) 44.mag and 4.10

from wiki-pedia

The range of calibers available for the Contender were limited, stopping just short of the .308 Winchester class cartridges. However, most any cartridge from .22 Long Rifle up to the .30-30 Winchester was acceptable, as long as the peak pressure of 48,000 CUP, or less, was placed upon the receiver. This flexibility prompted a boom in the development of wildcat cartridges suitable for the Contender, such as the 7-30 Waters and .357 Herrett and the various TCU cartridges, most of which were commonly derived on either the widely-available .30-30 Winchester or .223 Remington cases. The largest factory caliber offered for the Contender was the .45-70, which although being a much larger case that the .308, was still feasible because of the relatively low cartridge pressure of the original black powder round relative to the bolt face of the Contender receiver. Custom gun makers also added to the selection, such as the J. D. Jones line of JDJ cartridges, based on the .225 Winchester and .444 Marlin. Other barrel makers pushed beyond the limits the factory set, and did chamber Contender barrels in lighter .308 class cartridges like the .243 Winchester. The Contender could also fire .410 bore shotgun shells, either through the .45 Colt/.410 barrel or through a special 21-inch (530 mm) smoothbore shotgun barrel. A ported, rifled, .44 Magnum barrel was also made available for use with shot shell cartridges in a removable choke .44 Magnum barrel, with the choke being used to unspin the shot from the barrel rifling, or, by removing the choke, for use with standard .44 Magnum cartridges. The degree of flexibility provided by the Contender design is unique for experimenting with new cartridges, barrel lengths, and shot shells.
Back to top Go down
M14 double-taps
M14 double-taps

PostSubject: Re: Need suggestions on a rifle...   Need suggestions on a rifle... Icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 6:10 pm

Good stuff Zane, and Durkee, muzzle loaders have always seemed interesting to me, but not this Rome around. All good suggestions though boys. What would you guys say about the practicality of getting an M1 Garand?
Back to top Go down
DrummerBoyz95
General Grade 2
DrummerBoyz95

PostSubject: Re: Need suggestions on a rifle...   Need suggestions on a rifle... Icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 11:18 pm

Every time your clip ejects you're going to scare all the animals back to Mama Earth, with the "Watch your language" bell going off every time.

Ehh wait, there's gunshots going off anyways.. hehe so go ahead mate, get a Garand if that's what you want.
Back to top Go down
Zane
Major
Major

PostSubject: Re: Need suggestions on a rifle...   Need suggestions on a rifle... Icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 11:47 pm

M1 is a nice rifle, not to bad for hunting so yeah go for it. Just take good care of it since most of them are old eh. You can also mod the M1 for PALMA shooting if you ever feel up for it, but meh its not my favorate..probly somthing to do with countless hours of drill practice with em ><
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need suggestions on a rifle...   Need suggestions on a rifle... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need suggestions on a rifle...
Page 1 of 1