Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inThe Airsoft Sniper

Taking away citizenship

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Zane
Major
Major

Taking away citizenship Empty
PostSubject: Taking away citizenship   Taking away citizenship Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 8:44 pm

Saw this today... thought some of you might find this interesting

new bill that would permit the State Department to strip Americans of their citizenship if they support terror networks has drawn a cool reaction from the White House, even as Secretary of State Hillary Clinton appeared to embrace the measure.

"I have not heard anybody inside the administration that's been supportive of that idea," White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs told reporters Thursday.

But Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said the administration would take "a hard look" at the measure, the New York Times reported. "United States citizenship is a privilege," she told the Times. "It is not a right. People who are serving foreign powers — or in this case, foreign terrorists — are clearly in violation, in my personal opinion, of that oath which they swore when they became citizens."

The proposed Terrorist Expatriation Act, introduced by Senate Homeland Security Committee Chairman Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.) and Sen. Scott Brown (R-Mass.), seeks to update a federal statue that outlines seven infractions that can result in Americans losing their citizenship. The measure would add to the list "actively engaging in hostilities against the United States or its allies" and "providing material support or resources" to a federally designated terrorist organization.

"For example," Lieberman said in a statement, "if a U.S. citizen travels to Somalia to train with and fight for [the Somali Islamist group] al-Shabaab — as more than 20 young men have done over the past several years — the State Department will now have the authority to revoke their citizenship so that they cannot return here to carry out an attack. If, in some way, they do, and are then captured, they will not enjoy the rights and privileges of American citizenship in the legal proceedings against them."

But the measure has hit some resistance in Congress as well as the White House. House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio), for example, has expressed concern that the move would be unconstitutional — putting him in the very unusual position of agreeing with Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), who also opposes the bill.

"If they're a U.S. citizen, until they're convicted of some crime, I don't know how you would attempt to take their citizenship away," Boehner said. "It would be pretty difficult under the U.S. Constitution."

The bill dovetails with another recent debate over the legal standing of terror suspects: the question of whether — regardless of their citizenship — they should be read their Miranda rights when they are taken into custody. Some Republicans attacked the Obama administration for Mirandizing terror suspect Faisal Shahzad, arguing it makes suspects less likely to give up valuable information. Attorney General Eric Holder says that Shahzad has been cooperating with authorities, and that Mirandizing terror suspects does not deter them from cooperating.
Back to top Go down
DrummerBoyz95
General Grade 2
DrummerBoyz95

PostSubject: Re: Taking away citizenship   Taking away citizenship Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 9:23 pm

Zane wrote:
are clearly in violation, in my personal opinion, of that oath which they swore when they became citizens.

Wtf I didn't have to swear an oath when I was born to become a citizen... Weird.

And the guy's name is Boehner hehehe... couldn't help chuckling at that
Back to top Go down
Zane
Major
Major

PostSubject: Re: Taking away citizenship   Taking away citizenship Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 9:44 pm

Well, if you are not born here you take the oath.. here it is.

Quote :
I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me Don't use the Lord's name in vain..

Last edited by Zane on Sat May 08, 2010 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Lone Wolf
General
General
Lone Wolf

PostSubject: Re: Taking away citizenship   Taking away citizenship Icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 4:34 pm

This law sounds so republican... >..>
Back to top Go down
http://ontargetairsoft.com/
Creed769
Colonel
Colonel
Creed769

PostSubject: Re: Taking away citizenship   Taking away citizenship Icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 3:35 am

Then why is it that "dems" are supporting it?
I think it's good, I mean, come on!
If you are supporting Terrorists (killed alot of OUR people) should you be here?
And believe it or not, there is a contract with the oath in it that everyone has to "sign" when they are born.
Back to top Go down
http://thetruthaboutairsoft.blogspot.com/
DrummerBoyz95
General Grade 2
DrummerBoyz95

PostSubject: Re: Taking away citizenship   Taking away citizenship Icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 3:44 am

I don't see how taking away citizenship will make anything better. If they killed or aided in the killing of a person[s], I think they should face life in prison or the death penalty.
Back to top Go down
Zane
Major
Major

PostSubject: Re: Taking away citizenship   Taking away citizenship Icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 9:00 am

By taking away thier citizenship they are not owed the same rights and privalages as a citizen, in effect it makes them stateless, without the protection provided by thier countries laws.

The problem as I see it with this law is that it can be used in erm..not so good ways, and if it can be used it will be used.

As for the politicians? Thier a bunch of flip flopping morons who choose thier "platform" on what the current hot topic is, eg the the person that proposed this..a week ago he was all for rights of criminals (see quatanamno bay..sorry for spelling)

And an even better example is the dem that wants to block all of shore drilling now..2 weeks ago he demanded they open it.

Pretty much a bunch of hipocrats that just seize the moment

...and if I may rant for a sec here...if it offends ill take it away emd just tell me. But people need to pick a stance and stick with it..yeah you the voters. don't demand ofshore drilling one week and tommorow you say OMG!! WERE WER DAH REGULATIONS!!! BAD GOVT!! MORE REG!!! NOAWWWWWWWWW!!!!!! Of shore drilling is dangerous..it can destroy the entire coast...you know the risks..when the "Watch your language" hits the fan don't flip flop and blame your leaders YOU WANTED IT!!

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Lone Wolf
General
General
Lone Wolf

PostSubject: Re: Taking away citizenship   Taking away citizenship Icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 10:14 am

Kind of like V for Vendetta...whoever opposed the gov't was automatically called a terrorist. I see your point Zane.
Back to top Go down
http://ontargetairsoft.com/
Creed769
Colonel
Colonel
Creed769

PostSubject: Re: Taking away citizenship   Taking away citizenship Icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 12:59 pm

Exactly, but I don't think that were that corrupt yet... Oh wait, who was the person who stood up to clinton and the IRS nailed him?
Back to top Go down
Zane
Major
Major

PostSubject: Re: Taking away citizenship   Taking away citizenship Icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 2:58 pm

Yeah...all that aside tho, stop flip floping on your points (demanding no reg, but when theres a crisis you want heads to roll ---airport security----)

And don't demand new regulations in hysteria..becouse hey, whats to stop em from being used agianst the good guys?
Back to top Go down
Creed769
Colonel
Colonel
Creed769

PostSubject: Re: Taking away citizenship   Taking away citizenship Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 3:34 am

I'll tell you, there aint nothing stoppin 'em.
Imma move to sealand
Back to top Go down
slob212
slob212

PostSubject: Re: Taking away citizenship   Taking away citizenship Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 5:21 am

Actualy this proposal is redundant, there are laws on the books that make it quite easy to strip somebody of thier citizenship, thus removing the protections guarenteed by the Bill of Rights and the Constitution.

It appears as if this proposal is just trying to bring the laws up to date with the terms, termenology, and actions of todays hostile groups, and those engaged in hostilities against America and its Citizens.

Some of the easiest ways to be stripped are detailed in Chapter 8 USC 1481:

•Becoming naturalized in another country ( America does not allow for Dual Citizenship )
•Swearing an oath of allegiance to another country
•Serving in the armed forces of a nation at war with the U.S., or if you are an officer in that force
•Working for the government of another nation if doing so requires that you become naturalized or that you swear an oath of allegiance
•Formally renouncing citizenship at a U.S. consular office
•Formally renouncing citizenship to the U.S. Attorney General
•By being convicted of committing treason

Something to think about, Once it´s gone, It´s gone, no getting it back, do not pass go, do not collect 200 $, you lose, so sad, to bad.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Taking away citizenship   Taking away citizenship Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Taking away citizenship
Page 1 of 1