Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inThe Airsoft Sniper

anyone willing to explain to a noob?

Go down 
+5
c0mr4d3
br55ftw
Warsawwarrior9
Spl. Durkee
A. sniper
9 posters
AuthorMessage
A. sniper
Major
Major
A. sniper

anyone willing to explain to a noob? Empty
PostSubject: anyone willing to explain to a noob?   anyone willing to explain to a noob? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 2:24 pm

okay, this question is really gonna make me sound like a noob, but what exactly does the hop up do to a bb to make it fly correctly?
Back to top Go down
Spl. Durkee
General Grade 2
Spl. Durkee

PostSubject: Re: anyone willing to explain to a noob?   anyone willing to explain to a noob? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 3:08 pm

I'm no tech, nor do I claim to know anything about AEG's other than how to shoot them...
...but I believe the hopup puts a backspin on the bb.
Back to top Go down
Warsawwarrior9
Major
Major
Warsawwarrior9

PostSubject: Re: anyone willing to explain to a noob?   anyone willing to explain to a noob? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 3:47 pm

Hmm durkee I thought you'd know alot more about those.. Well, a hop up is a unit that is composed of usually 3 gears and a little lever, inside the hop up there is a hole which the lever can push down into, with the hop up bucking (the rubber thing on the end of your barrel) and the small hole in your barrel. The lever pushes on the bucking which creates a small bump in the barrel that your bb passes under, when that happens, the bb has backspin put on it before it exits the barrel thus letting your bb fly farther.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/dancsbt
br55ftw
Captain
Captain
br55ftw

PostSubject: Re: anyone willing to explain to a noob?   anyone willing to explain to a noob? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 4:03 pm

Warsawwarrior9 wrote:
Hmm durkee I thought you'd know alot more about those.. Well, a hop up is a unit that is composed of usually 3 gears and a little lever, inside the hop up there is a hole which the lever can push down into, with the hop up bucking (the rubber thing on the end of your barrel) and the small hole in your barrel. The lever pushes on the bucking which creates a small bump in the barrel that your bb passes under, when that happens, the bb has backspin put on it before it exits the barrel thus letting your bb fly farther.

That's what I thought. And Durkee, I'm surprised that you didn't know that! Shocked
Back to top Go down
A. sniper
Major
Major
A. sniper

PostSubject: Re: anyone willing to explain to a noob?   anyone willing to explain to a noob? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 4:59 pm

thanks for the help warsaw, I appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
c0mr4d3
Sergeant
Sergeant
c0mr4d3

PostSubject: Re: anyone willing to explain to a noob?   anyone willing to explain to a noob? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 5:45 pm

When it creates back spin it fights gravity and pulls upward. The right amount of hop will allow you to shoot long distances longer than if you didnt have it. But you have to calibrate it right or else it will climb to high and thus missing all together.
Back to top Go down
slob212
slob212

PostSubject: Re: anyone willing to explain to a noob?   anyone willing to explain to a noob? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 5:20 am

A main principle that relates to hop-up is Bernoulli's Principle. Bernoulli's Principle states that "in an ideal fluid (includes air), with no work being performed on the fluid, an increase in velocity occurs simultaneously with decrease in pressure or a change in the fluid's gravitational potential energy." How does this apply to airsoft? Well, if you read the definition, pressure is inversely proportional to velocity, in that lower pressure equals higher velocity. A spinless pellet will have equal pressure all around it, so the only thing determining its distance is the FPS. The next part is quite complicated, but simply, backspin creates a difference in pressure on opposite sides of the BB, and this difference makes the pellet go further. Another interesting thing is the Magnus effect. Pellets have thin layers of non-moving air on top of them, and when spin is applied, the air pushes off the pellet at a downward angle, and by Newton's law, then pushes the pellet up, giving it lift. In a non-spinning ball, the air would all go off at the same angle, so there would be no difference in trajectory due to that.

Hope it helps.
Back to top Go down
killyouno5
Major
Major
killyouno5

PostSubject: Re: anyone willing to explain to a noob?   anyone willing to explain to a noob? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 5:11 am

Put it this way, a football thrown with a spiral with go further that one thrown with a wobble under the same amount of force. Its all about how the air travels over the projectile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=567300653
gurkboll
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: anyone willing to explain to a noob?   anyone willing to explain to a noob? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 8:18 am

The hop-up does not make the bb fly "correctly", it makes it fly up. The hop-up is a small rubber piece in the roof of the barrel, when a bb i fired it slows the top of the bb down while the bottom keeps the same speed, this makes it spin backwards.

When a bb spins backwards it spins agains the wind at the bottom and with the wind at the top, this creates higher air pressure on the bottom and thus lifting the bb. This can neutrolize the bullet trop for a while and increase the range of your gun without having to add more power.

All explained in this image
anyone willing to explain to a noob? Airsoft-HopUp
Back to top Go down
Spl. Durkee
General Grade 2
Spl. Durkee

PostSubject: Re: anyone willing to explain to a noob?   anyone willing to explain to a noob? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 3:37 pm

Ooh nice graphic. Thanks for posting.
Back to top Go down
Breckton
Sergeant
Sergeant
Breckton

PostSubject: Re: anyone willing to explain to a noob?   anyone willing to explain to a noob? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 9:09 pm

Where did you get that?
Back to top Go down
gurkboll
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: anyone willing to explain to a noob?   anyone willing to explain to a noob? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 9:03 am

I just googled "Hop Up" or something like that =)
Back to top Go down
A. sniper
Major
Major
A. sniper

PostSubject: Re: anyone willing to explain to a noob?   anyone willing to explain to a noob? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 4:36 pm

wow, I thought this one was done and over with a long time ago. lol! I appreciate everyone bein so helpfull though. Razz
Back to top Go down
Breckton
Sergeant
Sergeant
Breckton

PostSubject: Re: anyone willing to explain to a noob?   anyone willing to explain to a noob? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 11:58 pm

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I was like, "Dude... didn't he ask about that a lllloooonnnnngggg time ago?"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: anyone willing to explain to a noob?   anyone willing to explain to a noob? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

anyone willing to explain to a noob?
Page 1 of 1