Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inThe Airsoft Sniper

Tight Bore Truth

Go down 
+5
Omega Lambda
sniper_32
SnoSnipe
Warsawwarrior9
lonesniper24
9 posters
AuthorMessage
lonesniper24
Colonel
Colonel
lonesniper24

Tight Bore Truth Empty
PostSubject: Tight Bore Truth   Tight Bore Truth Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 8:36 pm

Okay so I was skimming ASF and ran across a thread and one of the members was saying a 6.03mm to 6.05mm was better for people shooting over 150ft, and 6.01mm was better for anything under 150ft I am not sure I have never heard that myself.

I kind of think it is true in ways because if the BB's bouncing less it can come out at a higher distance if the hop up is up. But like I said I am not sure maybe he doesn't know diddly squat about it.

From what he was saying though he has 6.01mm TBB's in most of his replicas and was 6/10 people at 200ft, but the 6.03 was hitting 8/10 at 200ft. There was nobody else that could vouch for him though or that posted vouching for him so I want to bring it here where it's in more of a calm environment and I won't get shot outta the water.

Please only post if you know for a fact though I don't want assumptions going through here and confusing me and other members.

If somebody has both a .01 and .03 could you maybe test it out for us all barrel switching isn't hard but it would be up to you.
Back to top Go down
http://airsoftchat.lefora.com/forum/
Warsawwarrior9
Major
Major
Warsawwarrior9

Tight Bore Truth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tight Bore Truth   Tight Bore Truth Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 9:51 pm

I have shot a 6.03 and a 6.01, only difference in the barrels other than that was that the length of the 6.01 was 550mm and the 6.03 was 363mm. But I can assure you, I found a much better grouping with the 6.01 at 185 than my 6.03, the 6.03 would miss the target I was shooting at around 5/10 times. While the 6.01 was hitting 8-9 out of 10 pending on wind. With the 6.01, I knew I could hit the target with a single shot, 6.03, I would want to put it on full auto to make sure. It is a big difference.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/dancsbt
SnoSnipe
Colonel
Colonel
SnoSnipe

Tight Bore Truth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tight Bore Truth   Tight Bore Truth Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 4:54 am

The tighter it is, the more accurate it is. That is from my, and MAN- MANY friends/teammate's experiences.
Back to top Go down
sniper_32
Colonel
Colonel
sniper_32

Tight Bore Truth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tight Bore Truth   Tight Bore Truth Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 3:09 pm

6.01 all the way
gotta have it for DMR's, or field guns in my opinion.
6.03 is best for CQB guns
Back to top Go down
Omega Lambda
Major
Major
Omega Lambda

Tight Bore Truth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tight Bore Truth   Tight Bore Truth Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 3:55 pm

I can see one huge problem with the test this guy did. SAMPLE SIZE! Out of 10 shots, you're going to be testing shooter error rather than barrel accuracy. I can't be sure of how well this guy set up his test, but another thing to take into account is CONSTANTS. Ideally, for this test, it would be done in an indoor shooting range with the same gun and the same type of hopup and bucking, if not the same hopup and bucking. Were I to do this test (which I may eventually do just to clear things up) I would do 100 shots with each barrel. The difference between 6/10 and 8/10 is negligible to the point of being useless. If it turned out to be 60/100 and 80/100, that would be far more convincing.

Another thing to take into account is arcing. Is this guy really making point-of-aim = point-of-impact shots at 150 feet? Or is he lobbing them at his target? If he's lobbing them, then his BBs will be guided more by air currents than they would if he made straight shots.

Always stay focused on the scientific process if you want to make a test like this valid.
Back to top Go down
AFU
AFU

Tight Bore Truth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tight Bore Truth   Tight Bore Truth Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 4:46 pm

@Omega Lambda Also consider getting a rifle stand for this test. If you can eliminate the actual need to re-aim the rifle in question, that should give getter results, as each shot in theory should be the exact same.

~AFU
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Salkand
DrummerBoyz95
General Grade 2
DrummerBoyz95

Tight Bore Truth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tight Bore Truth   Tight Bore Truth Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 4:57 pm

Big 5 has rifle clamps for like $30
Back to top Go down
Omega Lambda
Major
Major
Omega Lambda

Tight Bore Truth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tight Bore Truth   Tight Bore Truth Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 5:27 pm

Thanks, I'll be sure and pick up something to steady my replica if I do end up doing this test.
Back to top Go down
sticks.13

Tight Bore Truth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tight Bore Truth   Tight Bore Truth Icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 8:05 am

If you believe in the theory of bb bounce(which I do), then STBB such as 6.00, 6.01 and 6.02 barrels are really only useful in smaller barreled rifles. This is due to the fact that the bb bounce is reduced marginally by the tighter spaces. In rifles greater than an M4 length 6.01 barrels actually hurt the accuracy more than they help; compared to after market large bore barrels at least. This is due to the greater friction known as barrel scrub, which basically means the BB is "rubbing" the barrel to much, so it just reduced the affect of the hop-up. PDI actually markets its 6.08 barrel as the most accurate in the series! TM could have made all of their guns come with 6.01 barrels, but they chose a 6.08... I wonder why... Very Happy

Here is a whole article on the effects of barrel scrub and long length STBB's.(ehh can't find it, i'll keep looking though).

Found it: http://forums.airsoftmechanics.com/index.php?topic=842.0 Shows theres a heck of allot more to better accuracy than just a TBB. There should be some good tips in there for you guys(teflon, barrel polish etc).

sticks
Back to top Go down
lonesniper24
Colonel
Colonel
lonesniper24

Tight Bore Truth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tight Bore Truth   Tight Bore Truth Icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2010 4:46 pm

Okay so I have been PMing snipers all over ASF I know I know but there aren't many here that have fully upgraded rifles. And many of them are saying they have 6.03mm in there replicas because it seems to do a lot better then the 6.01mm.

And what sicks posted is pretty much what all them are saying, 6.03mm and up seem to be better for longer rifles.

Back to top Go down
sticks.13

Tight Bore Truth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tight Bore Truth   Tight Bore Truth Icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 4:48 pm

Keep in mind that you guys can GREATLY increase your accuracy by reducing the vibrations in the barrel. If you have a BAR or similar sniper rifle you can fill the space between the inner and outer barrel with cotton balls or something similar. This will do more than you can imagine. Another thing to look into is polishing your barrel, I made a guide awhile back. I still do this with all my rifles and all my barrels.... It doesn't matter if its a 6.03 or a stock 6.08....

sticks
Back to top Go down
M14 double-taps
M14 double-taps

Tight Bore Truth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tight Bore Truth   Tight Bore Truth Icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 7:11 pm

sticks.13 wrote:
Keep in mind that you guys can GREATLY increase your accuracy by reducing the vibrations in the barrel. If you have a BAR or similar sniper rifle you can fill the space between the inner and outer barrel with cotton balls or something similar.

sticks

I just aquired a BAR 10 in a trade....how would I do this??
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
sticks.13

Tight Bore Truth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tight Bore Truth   Tight Bore Truth Icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 11:06 pm

Barrel polishing guide: http://www.airsoftallies.com/share-your-knowledge-advice-and-faq-f40/barrel-improvements-t1261.htm

For the vibrations, you literally just stuff cotton balls into the outer barrel evenly....

sticks
Back to top Go down
lonesniper24
Colonel
Colonel
lonesniper24

Tight Bore Truth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tight Bore Truth   Tight Bore Truth Icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 11:30 pm

BTW M14 the bar has a 6.04mm barrel stock, if that helps anybody.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tight Bore Truth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tight Bore Truth   Tight Bore Truth Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tight Bore Truth
Page 1 of 1