Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inThe Airsoft Sniper

Is cold weather bad for AEGs?

Go down 
+5
Slacker
Roamer
Sentinel
sticks.13
Admin
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Is cold weather bad for AEGs? Empty
PostSubject: Is cold weather bad for AEGs?   Is cold weather bad for AEGs? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2008 1:38 pm

I have a question I'd like to hear your ideas/experiences with. Does cold weather (here it's around 20 degrees F) have the potential to hurt AEGs? I assume pump/bolt action guns aren't affected too much, and gas guns would have a harder time working due to the already low temperatures the gun works at. But what about AEGs, with their sometimes delicate gearboxes and all the moving parts? Are some gearboxes more fragile in the cold than others? Or does it not even matter? Just wanting to hear your ideas/experiences. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
http://www.theairsoftsniper.com
sticks.13

PostSubject: Re: Is cold weather bad for AEGs?   Is cold weather bad for AEGs? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2008 5:01 pm

I don't think cold weather is bad for AEG's. i haven't seen anything that would say that it is so far. i do know with my limited knowledge of batteries that you will need a NiCd battery, as opposed to a NiMh. I assumed most of you knew this already though. but again i have herd nothing about cold weather hurting your gun. I assume that it isn't the best thing for it though.

hope i helped

sticks
Back to top Go down
Sentinel
Private
Private
Sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Is cold weather bad for AEGs?   Is cold weather bad for AEGs? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2008 5:33 pm

As long as you dont leave it sitting outside, the movement of the gears should keep the parts working fine.
Back to top Go down
Roamer
Captain
Captain
Roamer

PostSubject: Re: Is cold weather bad for AEGs?   Is cold weather bad for AEGs? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 3:24 am

actually, I have went to work an eight hour shift before and planned to play airsoft after... Me thinking taking my gun inside a populated store being a bad idea, I resolved to leave my baby in the car Sad I was worried about this same thing.
Back to top Go down
http://theairsoftsniper.com
Slacker
Private
Private
Slacker

PostSubject: Re: Is cold weather bad for AEGs?   Is cold weather bad for AEGs? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 12:41 am

Ok here is a electronics lesson for today

1. the coldness will interact with the chemical combinations in the battery causing adverse effects. As the chemicals react to the conditions the electons move about (and I know that in general particals move slower when colder...like a polar bear) But this is a chemical reaction not at the atomic level. the movement to equlibrium in the chemicals is why the charge is dissapated before you have a chance to do that yourself.

and why my old batterys work terrible in the cold.
Back to top Go down
Slacker
Private
Private
Slacker

PostSubject: Re: Is cold weather bad for AEGs?   Is cold weather bad for AEGs? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 12:43 am

Ohh and the reason that gas powered side arms don't fuction in the cold is because of the gaseous expansion does not occure as rapidly/violently in weather below about 50. Also in warm weather the gun shoots faster due to the rapid expansion of the gas in a more gaseous state.
Back to top Go down
stormtrupr
Private
Private
stormtrupr

PostSubject: Re: Is cold weather bad for AEGs?   Is cold weather bad for AEGs? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 12:50 am

Slacker wrote:
the gas in a more gaseous state.

lol! truly said in slacker form:)

it is a less violent reaction however so you are right good buddy.
Back to top Go down
https://ohio.facebook.com/profile.php?id=606815017
Roamer
Captain
Captain
Roamer

PostSubject: Re: Is cold weather bad for AEGs?   Is cold weather bad for AEGs? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 6:07 pm

Yeah, it really just boils down (pun intended) to the temperature of the gas. There is a direct correlation between the temperature and the preformance of both gas and the chemicals in the batteries. This direct correlation is explained in large part by intermolecular forces (IMF). As the temperature increases, the molecules have a higher average kenetic energy. This higher energy is translated into molecular movement that stresses the bonds holding the molecules together, the intermolecular forces. As the bonds are weakened, by higher average kenetic energy states, chemical reactions can be preformed more easily (such as the reduction and oxidation reactions occuring in your batteries).
With gas, higher kenetic energy levels (higher temperatures) mean (in a container with a constant volume) that you will have a higher pressure... higher pressure = more force put on bb with pull of trigger. More force translates into a higher velocity. With the higher velocities, you'll obviously have a higher momentum... and when we change that high momentum to 0 (when we shoot somebody in the face) that is called an impulse... with the higher temperature this impulse (or change in momentum) will be greater than at lower temperatures.
Back to top Go down
Seabass_9000
Seabass_9000

PostSubject: Re: Is cold weather bad for AEGs?   Is cold weather bad for AEGs? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 6:15 pm

You guys are lame... if its cold the gun wont shoot as well or the source wont last as long! There that only took up like 1 line. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Is cold weather bad for AEGs?   Is cold weather bad for AEGs? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 6:23 pm

lol. You guys are ridiculous. Thanks for taking the time for the explanations though. Very good stuff to know... unless your Seabass. In which case you have to dumb it down a little, so here goes:

COLD = BAD

Wink
Back to top Go down
Alabama_Sniper
Colonel
Colonel

PostSubject: Re: Is cold weather bad for AEGs?   Is cold weather bad for AEGs? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 1:56 am

You guys are nuts, and nuts being in a good way. Being too cold is not a problem down here, but a friend of mine left a battery to his AEG in a car in 102 degrees Fahrenheit weather in the car and in direct sun light the battery blew up and battery acid went every where and all over the seat. Good thing they had seat covers and he had a back up battery .
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/alabamaairsoft
sticks.13

PostSubject: Re: Is cold weather bad for AEGs?   Is cold weather bad for AEGs? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 1:47 pm

ye watch out for gas cans being left anywhere in a car/in sunlight if its above 90*f. theres some really cool picks of what was left of some guys trunk/rear fender after a can of blue gas(134A) exploded in his trunk.

sticks
Back to top Go down
Roamer
Captain
Captain
Roamer

PostSubject: Re: Is cold weather bad for AEGs?   Is cold weather bad for AEGs? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2008 10:04 am

car left in the sun during summer = oven
Back to top Go down
Alabama_Sniper
Colonel
Colonel

PostSubject: Re: Is cold weather bad for AEGs?   Is cold weather bad for AEGs? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2008 12:29 pm

No battery left in car in summer = mess .
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/alabamaairsoft
Roamer
Captain
Captain
Roamer

PostSubject: Re: Is cold weather bad for AEGs?   Is cold weather bad for AEGs? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2008 10:16 am

I just had a battery completely blow up on me. I am not so sure what happened. It was on the gun and while I was putting the cover on it got so hot it melted some electrical tape I had on it. It snapped like a bowl of rice crispies and then sizzled, hissed, blew into two pieces while I tore it away from my gun and threw it on the ground. It was quite nerve racking, but it did not touch my 30A fuse!
Back to top Go down
SniperL96
Corporal
Corporal
SniperL96

PostSubject: Re: Is cold weather bad for AEGs?   Is cold weather bad for AEGs? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 12:00 pm

Cold weather isn't bad for the gun it's self, just make sure when it's below freezing(32 degrees F) that you make sure to keep water off it, AND, this is a BIG and, keep the battery warm.When temperatures drop below freezing, batteries lose the ability to hold a charge. If you put the battery through that and/or colder weather, you can accidentally harm your battery.As far as stuff like the gear box, you should be fine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is cold weather bad for AEGs?   Is cold weather bad for AEGs? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is cold weather bad for AEGs?
Page 1 of 1