Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inThe Airsoft Sniper

newbie needing advice

Go down 
+2
djstasevich
madmike600
6 posters
AuthorMessage
madmike600
Private
Private

newbie needing advice Empty
PostSubject: newbie needing advice   newbie needing advice Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2008 6:14 am

ok, newbie here, just starting out...

big question... difference between gas and electric in terms of cost/performance?? remember i am in scotland with generally cold climate...

any help will be great!!! bounce
Back to top Go down
djstasevich
Major
Major
djstasevich

PostSubject: Re: newbie needing advice   newbie needing advice Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2008 9:41 am

I would recommend a gas weapon because of the simpler mechanics and better power for less money.
Back to top Go down
http://statairsoft.weebly.com/index.html
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: newbie needing advice   newbie needing advice Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2008 10:04 am

Are we talking about between gas and electric pistols, or rifles? In pistols it makes all the difference. Electric pistols from my experience are almost useless. They're low-powered and cheaply made. There might be a few exceptions, but good luck finding them. Gas is pretty much the only way to go with a pistol (whether Co2 or Green-gas powered). As for rifles, it's hard to come across gas powered rifles. I know there was a recent company that came out with a gas blow-back M4, and I've heard good things about it, but a gas powered rifle of any sort is hard to come across. Besides that m4 and gas powered sniper rifles (bolt action - except the KJW MKII) the only gas powered rifles are the Classic Rifles (like JAC). Classic rifles are no longer manufactured and are hard to find parts for. They're also not sold by regular retailers - you're pretty much limited to private sellers.

So there really isn't much of a debate between gas and electric - Gas dominates the pistol sector and electric dominates the rifle sector. If you're going with a rifle, then go with battery. The parts are typically plentiful, they have great longevity (if you buy a nice one), and they're not nearly as affected by cold weather (like gas is).
Back to top Go down
http://www.theairsoftsniper.com
kkoerber
Major
Major
kkoerber

PostSubject: Re: newbie needing advice   newbie needing advice Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2008 11:52 am

i also would recommend gas. green gas isn't that expensive and C02 is pretty cheap. and i think that electric guns break easy unless you get an expensive one.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: newbie needing advice   newbie needing advice Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2008 12:19 pm

I think before we can make any judgements on which is better for him, we need to know what he's looking for. If it's a pistol, then of course gas is better - even though it'll be challenging with the cold weather his area experiences. However, I think to say he should go with a gas-powered rifle over an AEG would be absurd.

He'd be too limited to his weapon selection.

The gas would quickly freeze up for the extended shooting he'd require (unlike that of a sidearm/pistol).

Gas guns may be more simple, but AEGs aren't exactly so complex they're impossible to work with. Besides, AEGs are much more upgradeable, and gas guns often shoot at too high of speeds allowed in his country.
Back to top Go down
M14 double-taps
M14 double-taps

PostSubject: Re: newbie needing advice   newbie needing advice Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2008 1:14 pm

Admin wrote:
. Besides that m4 and gas powered sniper rifles (bolt action - except the KJW MKII) the only gas powered rifles are the Classic Rifles (like JAC). Classic rifles are no longer manufactured and are hard to find parts for. They're also not sold by regular retailers - you're pretty much limited to private sellers.

I don't know ADMIN, I mean I know you know your stuff better than I do, but what about Marushin? The have a whole line of Gas-powered rifles, however they are very expensive. AEX carries a fairly good ammount of them:

http://www.airsoftextreme.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=366_186

There are mostly handguns on that page, but there are a few rifles and SMGs, including that M4 you were talking about.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: newbie needing advice   newbie needing advice Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2008 1:29 pm

Yeah, I was mainly talking about Classic Rifles like those from JAC being so rare and hard to find parts for. However, I do stand corrected about there being more gas rifles - although not many. I see four primary rifles on that page you linked to. And the fact that gas primaries are rare wasn't my main point. My main point was that gas rifles don't make much sense for a person living in a colder region of the world. Why go for a gas when you can get a nice AEG with many more models to choose from? With AEGs you get:
- longer playing time b/c nothing freezes up in them like you can get with gas-powered.
- you don't have to carry an extra gas canister around with you (less realistic to do so)
- you don't have to fill magazines up with gas every time you reload a mag

Although there are some advantages to gas powered rifles, I think, especially in his case, that AEGs make more sense.

And just so you know, I may know a bit about airsoft and a lot of the products dealing with the sport - but I'm far from knowing all. I still slip-up and need corrected (respectfully, please Smile) from time to time.
Back to top Go down
M14 double-taps
M14 double-taps

PostSubject: Re: newbie needing advice   newbie needing advice Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2008 1:47 pm

Admin wrote:
Yeah, I was mainly talking about Classic Rifles like those from JAC being so rare and hard to find parts for. However, I do stand corrected about there being more gas rifles - although not many. I see four primary rifles on that page you linked to. And the fact that gas primaries are rare wasn't my main point. My main point was that gas rifles don't make much sense for a person living in a colder region of the world. Why go for a gas when you can get a nice AEG with many more models to choose from? With AEGs you get:
- longer playing time b/c nothing freezes up in them like you can get with gas-powered.
- you don't have to carry an extra gas canister around with you (less realistic to do so)
- you don't have to fill magazines up with gas every time you reload a mag

Although there are some advantages to gas powered rifles, I think, especially in his case, that AEGs make more sense.

You make alot of good points, and I agree with you. I also prefer AEGs over gas, as long as were talking about rifles. Smile
And I also I do realize you were talking about Classic Airsofts and even WITH the link I gave, there still aren't very many out there.....so yeah pretty much you were correct. tongue But I put the link up to show that they ARE out there, and there are also a few sites whom have quite a few Marushin products. But ANYWAYS, yeah as stated before by ADMIN, If were talking handguns, go gas. If were talking rifles, go Electric. Exclamation JUST MAKE SURE WHATEVER YOUR'E GETTING IS QUALITY!!! Exclamation
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
sticks.13

PostSubject: Re: newbie needing advice   newbie needing advice Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2008 8:29 pm

Has everyone forgotten Tanaka?!?!?!

As far as pistols go I'm going to agree with ADMIN. Even in the cold a GBB will shoot as far as an AEP. If you live in Scotland and your looking into the best secondary you can buy, go with a TM Mk23 Socom. Don't be fooled by the Y&Pversion, it's a little over rated(by a little I mean it will break in 6months).

sticks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: newbie needing advice   newbie needing advice Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

newbie needing advice
Page 1 of 1