Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inThe Airsoft Sniper

Is this for real? PSG-1

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Is this for real? PSG-1 Empty
PostSubject: Is this for real? PSG-1   Is this for real? PSG-1 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 12:37 am

Hey everyone. I was just doing some updates for theairsoftsniper.com, and doing some research on the TM PSG-1 when I found the model for sale at cobraguns.com. I was reading over the specs and read this: "Capacity 15 Rds, 11 usable. Turn the gun upside down to shoot remaining 4 rounds." HA. Is that for real?! They're not going to push too many of these $450 guns with telling buyers that to fire the last four rounds of their 15 round magazines they have to turn the gun upside down. Is this true with PSG-1s and their standard mags? I would hope that for only having 15 rounds they could all be fired without turning the thing upside down. Also, come on, I realize it's only 4 rounds, but you're selling a top-of-the line airsoft sniper rifle for $450 and you can't make the magazines feed all the BBs...? Am I missing something? Anyway, I just thought it was funny that they included this in the specs. Maybe I'm overreacting Smile

Is this for real? PSG-1 Screen10

Is this for real? PSG-1 Screen11
Back to top Go down
http://www.theairsoftsniper.com
Sentinel
Private
Private
Sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Is this for real? PSG-1   Is this for real? PSG-1 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 2:51 am

Wow.. 450 for a gun that's mags only hold 15, and only shoot 11.. nty, the TM VSR is much much hotter
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Is this for real? PSG-1   Is this for real? PSG-1 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 3:07 am

Sentinel wrote:
Wow.. 450 for a gun that's mags only hold 15, and only shoot 11.. nty, the TM VSR is much much hotter

I agree with you completely. Don't get me wrong, the PSG-1 looks great, and I've heard some pretty interesting things about it that I really liked, but I'm just not that impressed. I refuse to purchase a gun that for the last four BBs I need to be holding my gun upside down. lol. I know, I know.. just reload after eleven or try and find an aftermarket magazine that doesn't do that (if one exists), but I would at least hope that after paying that much you would get a magazine that feeds all the BBs. I paid $130 for my L96 and all of its BBs feed. Oh, and love the TM VSR - good choice Smile
Back to top Go down
sticks.13

PostSubject: Re: Is this for real? PSG-1   Is this for real? PSG-1 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 2:17 pm

no you don't have to hold the gun upside down to shoot the last 4BB's. it is a nice replica if you want to spend 300$ ish on getting up to Competitive play Rolling Eyes

personally i don't even like the look of the thing. it reminds me of Rouge Spear. ahhh what a bunch of wasted summer days that was.

sticks
Back to top Go down
Fox13
Corporal
Corporal
Fox13

PostSubject: Re: Is this for real? PSG-1   Is this for real? PSG-1 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2008 2:13 am

Sentinel wrote:

OK why is the VSR any better? They both will cost hundreds of dollars to upgrade to "sniper" capability. And even though it doesn't shoot all of its BB's it is still semi- auto. And semi- auto beats bolt action any day. If you are worried about ammo count just buy more mags. And the only reason some one would buy the PSG-1 is to be different and if they had a lot of cash. So I don't think price is a problem to the airsoft fanatics (myself included) who are looking for a replica that isn't just what everyone else has.

True bolt action has that awesomeness to it but why is it better.
Back to top Go down
Seabass_9000
Seabass_9000

PostSubject: Re: Is this for real? PSG-1   Is this for real? PSG-1 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2008 2:50 am

I have to be honest, after holding one... I think the TM PSG-1 is way over priced. The CA8 in my opinion feels way more solid and I am sure it is just as accurate.

For some reason, I thought to myself that the PSG-1 would be this amazing replica because its priced higher than most. It had to be one of the biggest let downs I have come accross in Airsoft. As soon as I touched the thing it was squeeking and just felt really cheap and plasticy. I am sure it shoots great like all other TM's, but I was definitely not convinced it is worth the money.

Fox, it depends on semi is better than bolt... if you take more time to aim and hit your target on the first or second shot, the bolt action would be my pick. Another thing is that a mechbox with a bunch of upgrades will make a lot more noise than a bolt action, so there is a chance the person might not even hear your first shot... so if you are in cover, you should be able to take more than one before they see you. At our last practice this happend to me. I came up against 2 bolt actions from about 30 yards, all I remember was hearing something wizzing by my head and then noticed the Admin shooting at me after it happend. I did get him out, but the CA M24 nailed me in the side of the head and I had no idea where he was until I stood up and took a closer look.
Of course you also have to look at it this way: bolt actions can shoot up to 600fps, semi auto AEG's can only go up to 450fps (I think its 450fps, maybe its 500fps, anyways...), and when you start putting a bunch of pressure on your internals the bolt action is going to be way more reliable than the AEG.

Just my 2 cents. Smile
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Is this for real? PSG-1   Is this for real? PSG-1 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2008 2:54 am

I'm not sure if he was saying it was better in general, maybe just better for him. Besides, bolt actions give much more consistent shots, are more reliable (as there are much less things to go wrong internally), are easier to upgrade to higher fps, and have that awesome feel of using a bolt action! BUT, the Electric sniper rifle offers an obvious much higher ROF, more flexibility (can switch roles if needed to a regular rifleman), and can still be deadly accurate. It's all really based on your style of fighting that makes one of the two types better for YOU. I, on the other hand, couldn't make up my mind, so I bought the L96 and CA8-2 Smile
Back to top Go down
sticks.13

PostSubject: Re: Is this for real? PSG-1   Is this for real? PSG-1 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2008 4:15 pm

Admin wrote:
Besides, bolt actions give much more consistent shots, are more reliable (as there are much less things to go wrong internally), are easier to upgrade to higher fps,

^ i think that the statement above is incorect for several reasons.
1: "bolt actions give much more consistant shots: i whole hartily disagree with this because there are SO many things that can be done to an AEG that can make it as consistant if not More consistant than a bolt action(i assume your talking about a spring sniper). it just depends on how much research someone puts into their parts before they buy them, what BB's they use, Barrel lenth, you get the point.

2: "are more reliable than AEG's" : unfortunantly that is a misunderstood fact also. the reason people think this is because there are more moving parts in an AEG. < their are more moving parts but sometimes this can be a good thing (i dont want to get to indepth about this because it would take several posts and a couple of pages). i was talking to my Science teacher(coolest dude you will ever meet) and he was explaning to me why moving parts in most cases are their for functional, but sometimes they are their for fluididty(to keep it short). this is expressed in some of the parts of an AEG(shims,and the pinion gear[i think, havent taken one apart in awile] thats all i can think of at the moment but give me time and i will think of more Smile )

3: "and are easier to upgrade to higher FPS": < lol you guys are lucky that you came into airsoft now. when i started out (3 years ago for competitive) the cheapest guns were Marui's, and those had just had a price drop from the $300 range to the $250 range. now their are so many Clone (make the catholic cross) companies that there are so many companies with crappy parts that look like they are as good enough as the higher quality companies. technically i could upgrade my AEG to shoot 450ish FPS with only $150 worth of parts. now i could take a VSR and it would take me arouns 200ish worth parts to get it up to 450ish FPS (the killer is the zero trigger system @ $120). < i used no "clone" parts in my findings.

k im done

sticks

(note: i took ADMIN's words out of context. i have no beef with what ADMIN said before and after this statement, and i dont have Beef with ADMIN.)
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Is this for real? PSG-1   Is this for real? PSG-1 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2008 5:19 pm

I honestly don't know how to respond to that. Saying that AEGs can have as consistent shots as a spring bolt action replica is absurd. About as absurd as saying AEGs are as reliable as spring bolt actions. If we're comparing a $60 bolt action from Hobbytron vs. a TM PSG-1 with $250 in upgrades, then okay. But looking at comparable upgrades with a comparable gun of value, there's no comparison. I've just shot too many AEGs and bolt actions as well as looked at the internals to say that they're comparable. And I'm not biased, I own nice guns on both sides.

I would take on a $400 AEG with my $130 bolt action L96 any day in a consistency and reliability test. Mine will always come out on top. And whether in rain, sleet, snow, or being dropped, slammed against a tree, etc., my L96 would win in a reliability test.

I also have no beef with you Sticks, and you're a great asset to the forum, but I completely disagree with you as well Wink

P.S. You are absolutely right about people not doing their research in upgrades/BBs/barrels/etc. not making the best decisions on how to make their AEGs as effective as possible. I've seen it way too many times. I'll even admit I used to be that way until I started looking at forums, asking for advice, or simply "outsourcing" my upgrade work Wink
Back to top Go down
Seabass_9000
Seabass_9000

PostSubject: Re: Is this for real? PSG-1   Is this for real? PSG-1 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2008 5:50 pm

Actually if you think Airsoft is bad, you need to check out the paintball scene... my last paintball gun cost $500 and it wasnt even considered that great of a gun. There are cheaper guns, but you cant compete with a $200 gun... especially against $900 Angel's, Shocker's, etc... there is no comparison other than they both shoot paint.
I bought a tank for my paintball gun that cost $220, a loader that cost $130 and a barrel that cost $200... so if you think upgrading an airsoft gun is expensive... try out paintball and see what I mean. Not to mention BB's = $15 for about 2500 high grade BB's... when I first got into paintball 10 years ago a 2500rd case of paintballs was $70.
You do the math.

Now on to the subject, I would say as with everything else, the more moving parts can = more things to break. In an AEG you have a motor, battery, gears, spring, piston, tappet plate, etc... these parts are all subject to wear and also possibly failing. Due to the fact that it runs on battery alone is something you have to take into consideration as you can run out of battery, fuse can blow, wires can come off contact points, selector plate can get fried, etc...
In a bolt action there are only so many components such as a spring, piston, etc... the only thing that might wear down is the trigger sear depending on mods. In theory since you pull the spring back to the same spot and it is released exactly the same every time, it should produce extremely consistent shots.

Once I recieve my JG Bar in the mail I will do a test comparing it to a mostly stock Echo 1. From my experience of building up a semi auto sniper, I would have to say once you get over 400 fps you are looking at things wearing out much faster and things breaking a lot more often.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is this for real? PSG-1   Is this for real? PSG-1 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is this for real? PSG-1
Page 1 of 1