Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inThe Airsoft Sniper

Pulse Jet Engines

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
alexkmmll
Major
Major
alexkmmll

Pulse Jet Engines Empty
PostSubject: Pulse Jet Engines   Pulse Jet Engines Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 1:29 am

This is a project Ive started researching, and am planning on continuing in the upcoming months. Its on something called Pulse Jet Engines. Pulse Jet Engines are jet engines that use vaccums and cycles to create thrust. I will briefly explain how they do this:
A pulse jet engine is basically a combustion chamber, with a one-way (Also known as a reed valve) on one end, which supplies your fuel/air mixture, and a long tube on the other end. After igniting the mix in the combustion chamber, it begins to expand. Because the only way out is down the tube (due to the reed valve), the expansion and gases head that way. As they continue down the pipe, they expand. This is called Combustion. Because the gases have mass (Because they are a gas) They also have momentum, which means that the gases want to continue down the pipe. This causes a high-pressure zone, or a vaccum inside the combustion chamber, and forces more fuel mixture to be brought into the combustion chamber via the reed valve. It also forces the remainder of the hot gases left in the pipe back into the combustion chamber, and therefor lighting the new fuel mixture. This cycle repeats over and over again, hundreds of times a second, and gives a pulse jet a distinctive 'buzzing' sound (Pulse Jet Engines were used in V1 rockets, or 'flying bombs', and were commonly referred to by the britts as 'buzz bombs' from the distinctive buzzing). Now, you can build a small Pulse Jet Engine for a minimum of $20. It will only have about 8 pounds of thrust, but heck, thats enough to power a model aircraft.
Im pretty much investing my time and money into this project because its frankly cool, and I would love to be able to stick one onto a model aircraft or two.
Comments, Questions, Help, Wanna build your own? Reply to this. I just thought I'd share.
Back to top Go down
Spl. Durkee
General Grade 2
Spl. Durkee

Pulse Jet Engines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulse Jet Engines   Pulse Jet Engines Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 1:48 am

The thing about pulse jets is that they are inefficient in small scale. The amount of fuel needed to sustain burn for extended periods would require alot of extra weight.

I'm sure there are ways though Very Happy Just don't expect to be able to fly a small scale around for longer than a minute or two. Not to mention the fire hazard Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DrummerBoyz95
General Grade 2
DrummerBoyz95

Pulse Jet Engines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulse Jet Engines   Pulse Jet Engines Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 2:16 am

TL;DR -__-

Speaking of aircraft engines, Y'ALL NEED TO DO A FEGGIN FSX FLIGHT
Back to top Go down
Spl. Durkee
General Grade 2
Spl. Durkee

Pulse Jet Engines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulse Jet Engines   Pulse Jet Engines Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 2:33 am

DrummerBoyz95 wrote:
TL;DR -__-

Speaking of aircraft engines, Y'ALL NEED TO DO A FEGGIN FSX FLIGHT
Lol you schedule it
Back to top Go down
white wolf
General
General
white wolf

Pulse Jet Engines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulse Jet Engines   Pulse Jet Engines Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 7:20 pm

hawkeye has done quite a few pulse jets
if you don't do them right, you'll blow something up Rolling Eyes <this guy just test fired his Very Happy
but they're fum to build (YES ITS FUM FUM IS THE NEW FUN!) scratch
Back to top Go down
alexkmmll
Major
Major
alexkmmll

Pulse Jet Engines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulse Jet Engines   Pulse Jet Engines Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 10:54 pm

yeah pretty much... that or they don't light. hehe
Back to top Go down
white wolf
General
General
white wolf

Pulse Jet Engines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulse Jet Engines   Pulse Jet Engines Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 11:14 pm

so a 1/3 theoretical probability, my brothers was around a 1/20 radio so 5% of his attempts worked without explosion or not working Very Happy
HAVE FUN Laughing
and can I have your eyebrows when they melt
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pulse Jet Engines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulse Jet Engines   Pulse Jet Engines Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pulse Jet Engines
Page 1 of 1