Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inThe Airsoft Sniper

Title?

Go down 
+9
Lone Wolf
DOA Draven
killyouno5
sticks.13
Seabass_9000
Roamer
Sentinel
Admin
Fox13
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Fox13
Corporal
Corporal
Fox13

Title? Empty
PostSubject: Title?   Title? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 11:37 pm

I was wondering what you guys thought about the front page to TheAirsoftSniper.com. It says "giving much deserved credit back to the unseen soldier."

I like that sub-title but it doesn't seen right. I think it is the sniper is the most recognized position. And it is totally over rated. Every one thinks that its all about one shot one kill but it isn't. And everyone wants to be one. They don't think about the long hot hours spent crawling in your ghillie, not covering more than 100 feet. Or the time spent on upgrading and practicing with your weapon. Now I am NOT being a sniper hatter, I am a sniper. But I just thought that this should be revised. THX for your opinions.

tongue
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Title? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Title?   Title? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 1:25 am

"Snipers are sooo incredibly c00l.... not."

"The issue is everyone wants to be, even though they aren't even that serious about it."

"Snipers in airsoft, on the other hand, bother me far less than, well, I get more bothered by my underwear riding up my crack. No wait, I enjoy that...."

"If they're bolt action sniping I can guarantee I can get a knife kill on them."

"But hey if they want to be frustrated and a non-factor in the game, let em learn the hard way ($)."

These quotes are just from a single topic about the ineffectiveness of snipers from a popular airsoft forum. These are everywhere! So yeah, snipers get a lot of attention, but a lot of negative attention! So I'm trying to shed light on the sniper once again, and bring some respect back to the role. How do I plan on doing this with TASS? The best ways I know how, educating up-and-coming snipers on tactics/weapons/gear/etc., showing each sniper respect (you treat them w/respect, they'll return the favor), and giving snipers a chance to talk amongst themselves in either the chatroom or this forum (sniper's section).

And trust me, not everyone wants to be one. Not even close, actually. It's true that many people new to the sport will often start off wanting a sniper rifle (b/c they have an illusion of the role and they see the high fps on cheaper models), but it usually quickly changes to more of a support/heavy gunner role with an M4/SAW/G36/etc. Sure you hear a lot about snipers on places like online forums, but at tournaments and airsoft fields you're going to see 95% AEG users and the remaining 5% snipers and other roles....

Sniping is not overrated. It's the 13 year old sniper with a $50 sniper rifle running around in neighborhoods with their guns and talking a lot of nonsense on online forums who make the role seem overrated. Does that make sense?

My 2 cents

Admin
Back to top Go down
http://www.theairsoftsniper.com
Fox13
Corporal
Corporal
Fox13

Title? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Title?   Title? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 8:23 pm

Right I see what you are saying.

(But are you implying that I am a "13 year old sniper with a $50 sniper rifle running around in neighborhoods with their guns and talking a lot of nonsense on online forums who make the role seem overrated." Yet, you are right, there is a lot of people like that.)
Back to top Go down
Sentinel
Private
Private
Sentinel

Title? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Title?   Title? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 11:56 pm

Haha yah i actually know a 12 year old with a sniper that shoots around 350 fps. A couple times he has played with me and my friends, and no lie 50% of the time he doesn't have his scope on the gun.....
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Title? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Title?   Title? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 2:22 am

Fox13 wrote:
Right I see what you are saying.

(But are you implying that I am a "13 year old sniper with a $50 sniper rifle running around in neighborhoods with their guns and talking a lot of nonsense on online forums who make the role seem overrated." Yet, you are right, there is a lot of people like that.)

No no Fox13! Ha. Not at all was I implying that. I'm sorry it came off that way. I can tell from your level of maturity already that you're not one of those airsoft players. That didn't even cross my mind. I apologize if I made it seem like that... I really do. Though there may be numerous people out there who do act in this manner, I didn't mean that you were one of them. I hope you understand that. I haven't seen anyone yet, in fact, on theairsoftsniper.com or this forum who I'd put in that category (thank goodness). But I'm sure at some point we'll come across some. And the best we can do for them is steer them in the right direction and hope they follow Wink

Thanks for helping clear that up. And, just for future reference, keep your eyes peeled on the website for any other things you see a problem with. I, unfortunately, don't have time to review the material as often as I'd like. I actually have an editor who goes through and reviews it all for me, but she sometimes can miss things as well (we're all human lol). I appreciate any and all help you or anyone else can offer on the site!
Back to top Go down
Roamer
Captain
Captain
Roamer

Title? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Title?   Title? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 10:24 am

I think the "giving the much deserved credit back" is refering to AIRSOFT not the hollywood interpretation of the sniper..
Otherwise I agree with you on this one Fox.13, through movies and other medias the sniper has been blown out of proportion. I am sure the military doesn't share this view, but now is it no doubt popular opinion.
In the case of airsoft though, I have heard so many people, even some juggernauts, dispute whether or not a sniper and his spotter is of any use for a team. I think for the majority of airsofters I have spoken to, they view a sniper as a waste of a team member. I think what ADMIN is trying to say is that you CAN be an affective sniper with hard work and you CAN change the course of the game. Nice points!!
Back to top Go down
http://theairsoftsniper.com
Fox13
Corporal
Corporal
Fox13

Title? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Title?   Title? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 7:45 pm

Thanks for clearing that up. I just wasn't sure what you were implying. And yes Roamer you make a good point about how the media has blown it out of proportion. It bugs me that kids hear the word "sniper" and immediately think "50 cal." or "one shot one kill."
Back to top Go down
Seabass_9000
Seabass_9000

Title? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Title?   Title? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 8:01 pm

Well, in real life a 50 cal should be one shot one kill... even if it just barely misses the target it should still make the person implode, but I think I know what you mean. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Roamer
Captain
Captain
Roamer

Title? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Title?   Title? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 9:32 pm

hey, I LOVE shooter, its a great movie that just makes me want to go shoot my friends Twisted Evil .... I am sure thats not healthy lol

but the media does blow everything in combat out of proportion...

Just take the typicall shotgun victim in hollywood for example. There is NO WAY a guy is going to spotaneously fly backwards about 3 feet after taking a shutgun blow in the stomach. Sorry, simple physics... it's just never gonna happen.

Movies these days Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
http://theairsoftsniper.com
Seabass_9000
Seabass_9000

Title? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Title?   Title? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 10:15 pm

Well I havent ever shot somebody point blank with a shotgun, but I bet it wouldnt be a pretty sight. Smile

My personal favorite is the new Rambo... that 50 cal blowing people sideways like 10 feet. Very Happy It was actually a little on the disgusting side, but honestly I would imagine a 50 cal would make a persons body move a bit... they have a tremendous amount of velocity and the impact would be crazy.
I guess what I am trying to say is: they use them to take out armored cars... so obviously shooting a person with it would do some serious damage.
Back to top Go down
Sentinel
Private
Private
Sentinel

Title? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Title?   Title? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 10:26 pm

I think a sniper that shoots someone with a 50 cal is getting distracted from his mission Neutral
Back to top Go down
sticks.13

Title? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Title?   Title? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 11:27 pm

i think he was referring to the scene where he had the M2(the 50cal on the Humvees today).
but yes i agree if a sniper is shooting people from 10ft away he is either very stupid or very desperate.

[QUOTE Sentinel] and no lie 50% of the time he doesn't have his scope on the gun..... [/QUOTE]

not to sound mean but you don't have to have a scope to be a sniper. in fact in WW2 the top finish sniper(400 something kills) only used his iron sights because when he was fighting the Russians he found that using his iron sights was alot more effective than using his scope (scope freezes in the cold winters of Finland). even though he didn't use a scope because of the cold it still shows that you can be effective without a scope (if you consider over 400kills effective Laughing ).

as far as the whole sniper thing goes yeh i totally agree with the above statements. a sniper may not be as noticeable as say a SAW, but they can be just as effective(if not more). they reason most people think that snipers arnt effective is because of the N00Bs that dont heed everyones warning and buy the 50$ "133t" "SUPER SNIPER". i appreciate the attempt(cant be effective just yet) to give back the term of the REAL airsoft sniper, not the 13yr old cannon fodder that claims the sacred title of Sniper.

just my thoughts

sticks
Back to top Go down
Fox13
Corporal
Corporal
Fox13

Title? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Title?   Title? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 11:31 pm

Well said. Ya seriously they don't just shoot people with 50 cals. to take them out, although if you think about it would work. tongue
Back to top Go down
Sentinel
Private
Private
Sentinel

Title? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Title?   Title? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2008 11:51 pm

sticks.13 wrote:
i think he was referring to the scene where he had the M2(the 50cal on the Humvees today).
but yes i agree if a sniper is shooting people from 10ft away he is either very stupid or very desperate.

[QUOTE Sentinel] and no lie 50% of the time he doesn't have his scope on the gun.....

not to sound mean but you don't have to have a scope to be a sniper. in fact in WW2 the top finish sniper(400 something kills) only used his iron sights because when he was fighting the Russians he found that using his iron sights was alot more effective than using his scope (scope freezes in the cold winters of Finland). even though he didn't use a scope because of the cold it still shows that you can be effective without a scope (if you consider over 400kills effective Laughing ).

just my thoughts

sticks[/quote]

True true, but I dont know anyone who plays airsoft thats as talented as a military sniper, none the less a sniper with the most recorded kills. And nowadays I'm not sure who holds the most sniper kills, or how many, but i did hear that the farthest recorded sniper shot was over 1.5 miles. Try that with iron sights Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Seabass_9000
Seabass_9000

Title? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Title?   Title? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2008 12:13 am

Its wierd, but I recall seeing some videos online of a 50 cal Barrett sniping some Iraq soldiers.

Also, if you guys watch the Military channel any, they developed a new round for the Barrett that is actually a bit smaller and is extremely accurate at really long range (cant remember the exact distance, but I remember it being way more accurate than the 50 cal version Barrett at the same distance).

If it shoots a projectile at extremely long range and can take out enemy V.I.P.'s I would say it an effective sniper rifle.

Just my thoughts. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sentinel
Private
Private
Sentinel

Title? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Title?   Title? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2008 6:40 pm

I dont think i get the military channel, is it on basic cable?
Back to top Go down
killyouno5
Major
Major
killyouno5

Title? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Title?   Title? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2008 3:27 am

Lol there is a video online that I saw a long time ago can't remember the site but a sniper with a 50 cal was shooting insergents and all they did was blow up!!!!..... It looked as if they where squirls getting shot with a 30 cal hunting rifle. Oh and if you watch mithbusters they did a special on people getting shot with guns and getting blown back. They showed that in order for the person to fly back the shooter would have to also fly back the same amount of distance.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=567300653
DOA Draven
Private
Private
DOA Draven

Title? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Title?   Title? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2008 9:52 am

An airsoft sniper can still be a force multiplyer.

Often a two man team can pin down a mob with AEGs long enough for a radio call for back up on the attacked flank.

A sniper, well concealed can keep the bunker defence heads down, with a few well placed shots, long enough to assists an assulting force.

Even the sight of a ghillied sniper team before a game starts, will put off Joe Airsofter from bimbbling through the undergrowth.
Back to top Go down
Lone Wolf
General
General
Lone Wolf

Title? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Title?   Title? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2008 10:41 am

Nicely put, but wouldn't a semi automatic sniper rifle be more useful in this case. Im just thinking about other variables here.

To get the full impact of the ghilli, it has to homemade because that is what joe airsofter would call hardcore. lol
Back to top Go down
http://ontargetairsoft.com/
DOA Draven
Private
Private
DOA Draven

Title? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Title?   Title? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2008 4:58 pm

There are all sorts of variables here;

A semi auto would help, only in the rate of fire it can deliver over the BA advantage

The BA of course would have the range advantage.

I use an AEG for sniping [yes - shock horror Shocked ], heavy rate of fire if required at short range, but rely on concealment and silence [very silent AEG] advantage

But when working as spotter for my number 1, then there is the unbeatable combienation of BA and AEG.

You have to make the best of the situation you find yourself in, with the tools and resources you have at hand. A skill the real world Snipers have to have, resourcefulness and adaptability, you and your spotter if you have one, is all you have. You will never find yourself in the 'ideal' position, though you try your best in an ambush situation of course, but more often than not a compromise is required.
Back to top Go down
silent--likethenight
Private
Private
silent--likethenight

Title? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Title?   Title? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 7:28 pm

Not to take away from 50 cal.s but yeah i think that snipers get a bad image. there always shown as cowardly and sneaky.
Back to top Go down
slob212
slob212

Title? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Title?   Title? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 5:44 am

Admin at the start of the post hit the nail right on the Head,
Snipers loose thier reputation on the field because of the immature players that constantly state that they can pull off absolutly insane shots, go into the fantasy world describing how they TooK out an entire Team.

If you really listen and read the Posts from established Snipers itīs quite easy to identify the actual good players. In my experiance the Snipers that are reserved and Humble in thier comments and descriptions of what the accomplish on the field, these are the players that know what they are doing, have invested the time into researching how to do the job correctly, have the disipline to go the extra distance to be successful on the Field.

The Kiddie that goes into describing how he was able to take out the opposing squad by using the Wind to twist the shot to Bank off a Tree and hit each player right between the eyes, can be ignored. Its just a shame that with the wild stories, he/she is just damaging the Reputation of the rest.

Reguarding the .50 Cal,
This is going to ruffle some feathers,
I do not consider this gun to be a true Sniper Rifle, because of the flat trajectory, the enormous power and the insanly powerful scopes available to this Gun, anybody who has even the most basic of shooting skills can use this gun. I place this gun in the catagorie, Realy nice to have, because everybody can use it. The M2HB, was originaly designed as a single shot Sniper rifle for Trench Warfare, it was later modified for single and automatic firing. The M2 is more of a Sniper rifle than todays M82.

Just my thoughts.
Back to top Go down
silent--likethenight
Private
Private
silent--likethenight

Title? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Title?   Title? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 6:30 pm

i whole heartedly agree! nice point
Back to top Go down
p51dmustang
Corporal
Corporal
p51dmustang

Title? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Title?   Title? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2008 6:47 pm

Hey I thought the coast gaurd had a 50 cal. sniper, and its main purpose was to take out boat engines, so couldn't a 50 cal sniper rifle be an anti armour rifle at the same time
Back to top Go down
Lone Wolf
General
General
Lone Wolf

Title? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Title?   Title? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2008 8:19 pm

wtf...the hull of a ship is going to be 1'-2' thick not to mention the chances of a armor peircing round not making its hit inside the room
you also have the water, and at those speeds it becomes like solid concrete. If any of you kiddies watch that show mythbusters where they shot the barret into a pool...the round never made the bottom. It incinerated 2 ft. in The reason why I am making this point is because the engine deck on most civillian craft is a foot under.

It would only be effective against small craft and sail boats.

if the intended to make a kill tho, to minimize unwanted cassualties, they would just blow away the boat or put it under supressive fire.
Back to top Go down
http://ontargetairsoft.com/
Sponsored content

Title? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Title?   Title? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Title?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next