Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inThe Airsoft Sniper

Semi Auto vs Bolt Action

Go down 
+4
Seabass_9000
Cenasbiggest
Sentinel
sticks.13
8 posters

Semi or Bolt?
Semi Auto
Semi Auto vs Bolt Action Vote_lcap19%Semi Auto vs Bolt Action Vote_rcap
 19% [ 3 ]
Bolt Action
Semi Auto vs Bolt Action Vote_lcap81%Semi Auto vs Bolt Action Vote_rcap
 81% [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 16

AuthorMessage
sticks.13

Semi Auto vs Bolt Action Empty
PostSubject: Semi Auto vs Bolt Action   Semi Auto vs Bolt Action Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 9:00 pm

many of you have noticed that in the PSG thread there is a disagreement about witch is better (functionally) a semi auto or a bolt action. now im not asking for Looks (wouldn't be frowned upon though), or what is more classic, etc. i would like to hear what you all say about functional(which functions better), reliability, and upgrade ability.

have fun with this one Twisted Evil

sticks
Back to top Go down
Sentinel
Private
Private
Sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Semi Auto vs Bolt Action   Semi Auto vs Bolt Action Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 10:07 pm

A semi auto like admin's m14, could be used as either a rifleman or DMR role. But if your gonna be a super sneaky sniper, a bolt action is better in my opinion because they are a little less noisy, and you can upgrade them until the accuracy and power is the best a replica can offer. In the end, it would depend on the mission, the skill of your spotter (if he can keep your team aware so you wont get flanked, support fire, etc.), and the skill of your opponents (how many shots could you take before they find where you are).
Back to top Go down
Cenasbiggest
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Semi Auto vs Bolt Action   Semi Auto vs Bolt Action Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 7:52 pm

Definately Bolt Action. My first airsoft was bolt action and it works to this day.You can always change the spring to increase FPS and tends to quiter than a semi auto. My next gun will be a bolt action, the gun after that will be a bolt action and then i'll probably get a SAW. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Seabass_9000
Seabass_9000

PostSubject: Re: Semi Auto vs Bolt Action   Semi Auto vs Bolt Action Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2008 1:21 pm

As far as function goes, it depends on several factors...
-What is your FPS goal?
-Are you a lonewolf?
-Do you want to be effective at long range?
-How much money do you have?

With AEG's you are often limited to 450-500fps depending on where you play and once you go over 400fps you have to have your replica's full auto permanently disabled, just for those that dont know this.
If your goal is 450fps or less, I would say a semi auto AEG is the way to go... as it is obtainable with most mid-high end replica's. However, I would not attempt it with a low end replica as they generally use weaker gearbox shells that will crack under the pressure.
If you desire high fps, lets say 500-600fps then your only option is a bolt action... as in Ohio Airsoft rules bolt actions are limited to 600fps, which is the highest fps limit on a replica. So that kinda makes it an easy decision.
In terms of reliability, I would say just look at the mechanics involved in both... a gearbox in an AEG uses electric so the process is like this --> pull trigger, electric connection is made, which spins a motor, which in turns spins 3 gears that pull back a piston to a certain point at which it is released and pushes air through the air nozzle to propel the BB. In a bolt action, you pull back on a lever which pulls the piston back in the cylinder, it catches on a trigger sear, once the trigger is pulled the piston is released and it goes forward pushing air through the air nozzle. In an AEG - gears, piston, gearbox shell, cylinder head, motor, electrical connections are all subject to wear. In a bolt action - piston, cylinder head, and trigger sear are subject to wear.

I guess in my opinion, a sniper is an individual that can effectively take out targets at long range. So my pick for a sniper replica would be a bolt action that is shooting around 550fps. Obviously you are going to have more range than most due to this. Also you will be able to use a heavy BB and achieve excellent accuracy. An AEG semi auto sniper that is shooting 450fps isnt going to be much different than a 450fps SAW that is full auto. So is it really an effective sniper setup?
I guess you will have to answer that for yourself. I have several full auto replica's that shoot right at 400fps and I am happy to take on semi auto snipers that are shooting 430-450fps. They generally dont have that much more range and I have more firepower. Generally I win. Smile

If you have a lot of money to blow, then go ahead and try to build up a good semi auto sniper. I would however recommend getting a bolt action and carrying a good sidearm as well.

Just my 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
http://www.theairsoftsniper.com
Ace
Corporal
Corporal
Ace

PostSubject: Re: Semi Auto vs Bolt Action   Semi Auto vs Bolt Action Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2008 6:04 pm

I know I am not a sniper or will ever be one (that is not my style), but I will have to agree with Seabass.

I saw him clip Mr. Roamer on the nose from about 50+ yards this past weekend. Not to many AEG could do that.

Last edited by Ace on Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://theairsoftsniper.com
sticks.13

PostSubject: Re: Semi Auto vs Bolt Action   Semi Auto vs Bolt Action Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2008 6:12 pm

actually yes ive seen some crazy good AEG's most of them have been M14's or G36 varients. but i did see a really cool M16 with a 650mm inner barrel. but um ye alot of AEG's if upgraded properly can do that. was a nice shot though!

sticks
Back to top Go down
Ace
Corporal
Corporal
Ace

PostSubject: Re: Semi Auto vs Bolt Action   Semi Auto vs Bolt Action Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2008 6:15 pm

sticks.13 wrote:
actually yes ive seen some crazy good AEG's most of them have been M14's or G36 varients. but i did see a really cool M16 with a 650mm inner barrel. but um ye alot of AEG's if upgraded properly can do that. was a nice shot though!

sticks

I'm glad you have seen some sticks. Thanks for also reminding me that Seabass not only has the bolt action, but a great G36 that could do that as well.
Back to top Go down
sticks.13

PostSubject: Re: Semi Auto vs Bolt Action   Semi Auto vs Bolt Action Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2008 7:08 pm

lol i hope i didnt sound mean when i said that. AEG's are amazing tools

sticks
Back to top Go down
Seabass_9000
Seabass_9000

PostSubject: Re: Semi Auto vs Bolt Action   Semi Auto vs Bolt Action Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2008 7:48 pm

Actually I have to admit, even as amazing as the CA36 is, I doubt I would have made the same shot with it as I did with the Bar 10... As I only had about a 3" window to put the BB through at 50+ yards and even if I would have got one through there, it would have taken several shots where it only took me 2 shots with the Bar 10.

Not to sound like I dont believe you Sticks, but I would like to see any M14 that is shooting 450fps reliably and as accurately as my Bar 10. Knowing what I know now, I wouldnt EVER get an M14 as a DMR / Sniper project again due to the gearbox design. No bore up kit = hard to get high fps. Maybe the CA and TM models are easier to achieve higher FPS, but I know now that Echo 1 M14's werent meant to go over 380fps.

If I were going to do a DMR / Sniper build up with an AEG I would choose to use an M16 platform, CA8, or G3 variant as you can actually get them to shoot 450fps without much of a problem. Plus they are probably lighter. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.theairsoftsniper.com
.25 Gram Sniper
Major
Major
.25 Gram Sniper

PostSubject: Re: Semi Auto vs Bolt Action   Semi Auto vs Bolt Action Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 7:44 pm

I use bolt action because that increases the feel to it and makes me better about the term "One Shot One Kill". I also head that bolt actions are more accurate and bigger fps then semi autos.
Back to top Go down
TheJim
Sergeant
Sergeant
TheJim

PostSubject: Re: Semi Auto vs Bolt Action   Semi Auto vs Bolt Action Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 8:06 pm

Bolt action ftw

Semi auto rifles such as my M14 are great for urban events (400fps limit for sniper rifles, 328 for AEGs) as you have more rapid fire than a bolt action and can engage multiple targets in quick succession, but Bolt action will always reign supreme as you will get max power and accuraccy out of them

Jim
Back to top Go down
djstasevich
Major
Major
djstasevich

PostSubject: Re: Semi Auto vs Bolt Action   Semi Auto vs Bolt Action Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 9:42 pm

I love my vsr 10 bolt action because far a sniper it will be much more quiet. Unfortunately I am only shooting 435 fps but I am hopeing I can do the free mod like the jg bar 10 on this forum, teflon tape, and tightbore barrel to increase my acuracy and range.
Back to top Go down
http://statairsoft.weebly.com/index.html
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Semi Auto vs Bolt Action   Semi Auto vs Bolt Action Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Semi Auto vs Bolt Action
Page 1 of 1