Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inThe Airsoft Sniper

TO ALL AIRSOFTERS: General Education on the sport of airsoft

Go down 
+10
TheCrazyAirsoft
Creed769
Lone Wolf
Alabama_Sniper
S.T.O.R.M. Airsoft
madwolf24
white wolf
Tryris80
Spl. Durkee
Admin
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

TO ALL AIRSOFTERS: General Education on the sport of airsoft Empty
PostSubject: TO ALL AIRSOFTERS: General Education on the sport of airsoft   TO ALL AIRSOFTERS: General Education on the sport of airsoft Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 12:59 pm

Warning: This thread is a long one, but an important one as well. You can skip through it if you'd prefer, or not read it at all, but I think we all have something to gain through this. I wrote this directing it towards those just starting out in airsoft - so if you know anyone (on any forum) who's considering it, please send them to this thread. It's something that I feel every airsofter needs to read. If you don't want someone you send to it to read the entire thing, then I've taken the liberty to separate the thread into sections and numbers. So if you want to point a specific part to them, simply tell them the section, then number within that section. (Ex. Section 2, #4). Here goes:

Section 1: To those of you who are just beginning airsoft and have yet to play in a serious event and/or are not 100% sure the sport (or hobby) is for you, then follow these guidelines:
1 – Are you sure this is for you? I hope that it is, because airsoft is a rewarding sport to be involved in, but there are some setbacks as well. First of all, there are physical dangers involved. These can be greatly reduced by following safe practices, but the risk is still always there. Also, it can get costly. Ask any airsofter – you make your first purchase and tell yourself that it’ll be your last for a long time. Then a new model comes out or you find a rifle or sidearm that you always thought looked cool and you just have to have it. It’s part of the airsofter’s struggle to not go broke upgrading their arsenal! On top of new guns you have big investments needed for upgrades, gear, and accessories. Make sure you’ll be able to handle the investment!
2 – Start off small. Many airsofters start off with a cheap airsoft gun from places like Wal-Mart or Dick’s Sporting Goods. That’s nothing to be ashamed of! Don’t expect to get compliments on them and NEVER brag about them on airsoft forums (you’ll be humiliated, trust me), but still, don’t be embarrassed to start off with a cheap pistol or shotgun from a place like these. This recommendation is for the younger crowd of course that doesn’t have the money to test if they like airsoft by purchasing a $150+ gun from the start.
3 – The best thing you can do is to find a local field, team, or group of people who play airsoft and find someone to let you borrow one of their guns for the day. See what it’s like to play in a real game with the types of players and guns you’ll see when you get more serious into airsoft. Does playing with these people/guns make you more interested or less? If more, then the sport may just be for you.
4 – Be humble. Don’t be afraid to ask questions to other airsofters. Some may be rude or not care about you and your question, but who cares? There will always be elitists no matter what hobby you’re interested in so don’t let them discourage you. However, make sure you know a little of what you’re talking about before joining a forum/conversation. First take a look around airsoft sites/forums. Read past content and learn some of the lingo and etiquette before joining in on the fun. Trust me, you’ll be much more welcomed, and much more respected as an airsofter – no matter your age.
5 - Looking for players around your area? Don’t freak out because you fear no-one else plays airsoft around where you live. Also, don’t be intimidated if it seems like everyone’s playing paintball and then there’s you by yourself holding an airsoft rifle. You’re not alone! Here’s what you do:
A: Google search something like “airsoft (insert your state) forum.” More than likely an abundance of airsoft forums based out of your state filled with people just like you that live near you will be there. You’ll find local fields, players, and events.
B: Start asking around. Talk to friends and fellow classmates if they’re interested in getting involved. If they ask what it is, then give them a standard, simple response, and ask them to join you in a game sometime. I’ve found the best way to get people involved is to show them my collection, allow them to shoot a few rounds, and then invite them to a game. With the help of a few good friends, we’ve aided in growing the number of airsoft players in our small town from 3 to about 20. On top of this, we have found other teams nearby who’ve done the same thing and we see them often at events and invite them to our practices regularly. It really can make a difference!

Section 2: To those who have played airsoft before and know how the game works, what it requires, and are serious about being in active involvement with the sport, here is my recommendation for you:
1 – Don’t even think about getting a springer to start off with. By “springer” I mean replicas that you have to pump before each and every shot (this of course excludes bolt action sniper rifles and nice pump shotguns). These are fun guns to start off with when you’re young and looking for something to plink around with, but in no way should you invest your money into them if you’re looking for a serious primary rifle to take onto the field with you. It'd also probably be in your best interest to not even ask questions about them on forums. People will instantly lose respect for you and most likely make fun of you.
Examples of guns NOT to mention on airsoft forums:
http://www.hobbytron.com/AirsoftSniperAssaultRifleGunSpringDRVB71692.html
http://www.hobbytron.com/AEGElectricM4RifleM203GrenadeLauncherSkullAirsoftGun.html
http://www.hobbytron.com/AirsoftSniperRifleGunSpringSDUA314.html

2 – I do not recommend you start off with a sniper rifle. This is for several reasons. The first being sniping is a very costly role to play. Sure you can find a nice bolt-action for a low price, but don’t expect great results from it. The last thing this sport needs is more newbies buying Super 9s and cheap L96 clones and going to events bragging about their gun that shoots “300 feet” at 460-500 FPS. If you go with the sniper role, do not expect to be highly respected or feared during an event. The only ways you’re going to receive respect or be feared is by showing other players respect first, remaining humble, and by performing well on the field. These are the only ways!! On top of all this, if you’re purchasing a quality rifle like a TM VSR-10 or a CA M24, then expect to put plenty of upgrades into it. On top of all these you’ll need scope rings, a scope, quality BDUs or a ghillie suit, and plenty of other investments into making your setup “sniper-worthy.” My point is, when first getting serious about airsoft, your first investment should probably be an AEG. This brings me to next point.
3 – Expect to pay a decent amount on any airsoft replica you purchase. It’s pretty foolish to think you can get away with spending anything under $115 on your gun alone. Your best bet, if you’re looking to spend in the $220 or less category, is to go with Echo 1. Echo 1 has made a great name for itself in the past few years, and has some quality rifles out. JG may also need to be considered if you’re on a very tight budget. You’ll hear people argue constantly about the difference between JG and Echo 1 – ignore them (even my arguments, if you please). Echo 1 is your best bet, but not by a whole lot, so if you’re unable to pay for one, go with JG. Due to a recent price hike by Echo 1, JGs may be your only option. Beyond Echo 1, when you start getting into higher-end manufacturers like Classic Army, Tokyo Marui, Systema, G&G, etc., you start running into high costs. Are they worth the higher cost as opposed to purchasing an Echo 1? That depends. If you have the money, sure it’s worth it. Most of the guns manufactured by these companies come with very well made bodies and quality internals; however you’ll pretty much be forced to buy internal upgrades from the start as most of them are firing between 280-320 FPS stock. This, for the most part, won’t be satisfactory for most airsofters. So expect not only to pay for the gun itself, but also internal upgrades (that can get expensive). Which manufacturers are better among these high-end makers? It’s debatable. Just know that you typically get what you pay for – but this is far from true in ALL cases. Just look around! Check forums, customer reviews, ask friends, etc. about specific guns. They vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. For example, I’d prefer an Echo 1 Vector Arms Mp5 over a Tokyo Marui Mp5. However, I’d rather have a Tokyo Marui M4 over an Echo 1 M4 anyday. And that’s nothing against either manufacturer or that specific model made by them, it’s just my own personal preference based on my experience and that of other airsofters. But I’m sure many would disagree with me as well.
4 – On top of paying the money for an airsoft gun, you’ll need to also consider future purchases of gear and accessories. Some examples include:
A: batteries $30+ each
B: a smart charger to prevent burnout of batteries $30+
C: BDUs $50+
D: Goggles $30+
E: Gloves $10+
F: Boots $45+
G: BBs $20+ per bag
H: Vest $45+
I: Hydration Pack $40+
J: Pouches $30+
K: Lubricant for internals of rifle $10+
These are obviously estimates, and not all required, but this is just to give you an idea of what you’re in for.
5 – (as repeated from #5 of the first section) Looking for players around your area? Don’t freak out because you fear no-one else plays airsoft around where you live. Also, don’t be intimidated if it seems like everyone’s playing paintball and there’s you by yourself holding an airsoft rifle. You’re not alone! Here’s what you do:
A: Google search something like “airsoft (insert your state) forum.” More than likely an abundance of airsoft forums based out of your state filled with people just like you that live near you will be there. You’ll find local fields, players, and events.
B: Start asking around. Talk to friends and fellow classmates if they’re interested in getting involved. If they ask what it is, then give them a standard, simple response, and ask them to join you in a game sometime. I’ve found the best way to get people involved is to show them my collection, allow them to shoot a few rounds, and then asking them to a game. With the help of a few good friends, we’ve aided in growing the number of airsoft players in our small town from 3 to about 20. On top of this, we have found other teams nearby who’ve done the same thing and we see them often at events and invite them to our practices regularly. It really can make a difference!

Section 3: And finally my common sense moment, dedicated to all new (and some veteran) airsofters. I don’t mean to step on anyone’s toes, but here goes:
#1 – Try to be humble. Don’t think because you may have a high-fps rifle, started a big airsoft team, have been playing for several years, or have a high-end gun, that you have the right to be disrespectful to other players. Realize that we all start off somewhere (some with a cheap, clear plastic gun), and that there will always be someone with a better gun or more experience. Treat every other player with respect. When someone refuses to show you respect, try your hardest to move on and get over it. Usually they’re so insecure with themselves it doesn’t really matter what you say to them, they’re not budging on their opinions.
#2 – This goes along with #1, but I must put more focus on it. If you are a sniper, please keep your mouth shut. I personally was a sniper for about a year and a half, which I now switch from my role of designated marksmen to return to from time to time (b/c I miss it), and the one thing I’ve learned is that sniper’s have really given themselves a bad name. Let me clarify that – SOME snipers have given ALL snipers a bad name. If you have a Super 9, L96 clone, JG Bar-10 (although I love this gun), or any other budget sniper, please don’t brag about it. In fact, unless it’s asked or entirely appropriate, don’t even mention your “amazing” rifle and it’s high FPS abilities. You’re not impressing anyone. Lots of rifles are shooting that fast. Besides, your gun may be shooting fast but it doesn’t mean it’s shooting accurately. Snipers are meant to fly below radar and be more support for AEG carriers than anything else. So don’t expect some glorified role with tons of kills. Don’t brag. Don’t expect a ton of respect. And show other airsofters the respect that they deserve as well. I promise if you follow these guidelines you’ll have a much better experience being a sniper. Oh, and one more thing - although I hate to be picky, to prevent you from looking bad on a forum, a "sniper" is the person carrying the rifle and a "sniper RIFLE" is the gun itself. Please don't say "I'm looking into buying a $200 sniper from AirsoftExtreme.com. What do you all think?" First of all, it's a dumb question. Second of all, unless AirsoftExtreme.com is selling human beings that are in the role of being a sniper for $200, then you're using the terms wrong. Please know the difference between a "sniper" and a "sniper rifle." Thank you.
#3 – Do your research, please! Don’t get on a forum and ask a question like “how fast does an Echo 1 M4 shoot?” or “What’s a good retailer to buy a gun from?” These questions have been answered a million times over on just about every forum. The airsofter’s best tool: GOOGLE! Try using a search engine like Google to find your answer first. You can also use a forum’s search tool to find your answers. When all else fails you can ask your question on a forum or PM a member on it you trust to answer correctly.

Okay, enough of my rantings. Thanks for listening everyone. I’ll keep this updated as I go along to make sure I didn’t miss anything in it. Feel free to redirect newbies who have a ton of questions to this thread. I think everyone would appreciate it! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
http://www.theairsoftsniper.com
Spl. Durkee
General Grade 2
Spl. Durkee

PostSubject: Re: TO ALL AIRSOFTERS: General Education on the sport of airsoft   TO ALL AIRSOFTERS: General Education on the sport of airsoft Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 10:08 pm

Great post. I'll refer new guys to dis.
Back to top Go down
Tryris80
Private
Private
Tryris80

PostSubject: Re: TO ALL AIRSOFTERS: General Education on the sport of airsoft   TO ALL AIRSOFTERS: General Education on the sport of airsoft Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 7:58 pm

Wish I found this earlier.
Back to top Go down
white wolf
General
General
white wolf

PostSubject: Re: TO ALL AIRSOFTERS: General Education on the sport of airsoft   TO ALL AIRSOFTERS: General Education on the sport of airsoft Icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2009 9:05 pm

WOW yeah same here

first gun m324s.... he he he
and the next one a cyma mp5 for $40 baught for $4
hoping for a echo 1
Back to top Go down
madwolf24
Private
Private
madwolf24

PostSubject: Re: TO ALL AIRSOFTERS: General Education on the sport of airsoft   TO ALL AIRSOFTERS: General Education on the sport of airsoft Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 10:07 pm

Very well writen post.
A question I want to know is will Ski Goggles work as eye protection? I think they will but I need some expert advice.
Back to top Go down
Spl. Durkee
General Grade 2
Spl. Durkee

PostSubject: Re: TO ALL AIRSOFTERS: General Education on the sport of airsoft   TO ALL AIRSOFTERS: General Education on the sport of airsoft Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 11:38 pm

No ski goggles do not work. They aren't ballistic certified and could cause eye damage.
Back to top Go down
S.T.O.R.M. Airsoft
Major
Major
S.T.O.R.M. Airsoft

PostSubject: Re: TO ALL AIRSOFTERS: General Education on the sport of airsoft   TO ALL AIRSOFTERS: General Education on the sport of airsoft Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 3:28 pm

Or you could lose your and be blind.... Get something thats sold on airsoft websites.

http://www.airsoftgi.com/index.php?cPath=28_99
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/STORMAIRSOFT1
white wolf
General
General
white wolf

PostSubject: Re: TO ALL AIRSOFTERS: General Education on the sport of airsoft   TO ALL AIRSOFTERS: General Education on the sport of airsoft Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 5:26 pm

and having 1 eye really helps that get into your head

but yeah I got classic army goggles that fit around glasses if that is what you are looking for I can get the link
Back to top Go down
Alabama_Sniper
Colonel
Colonel

PostSubject: Re: TO ALL AIRSOFTERS: General Education on the sport of airsoft   TO ALL AIRSOFTERS: General Education on the sport of airsoft Icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Always test them though before use you know just to make sure just in case . It doesnt matter what you pay for them or how cool they look if you don't test them first even if they did cost thirty or forty dollars if they break while your testing them it is better than them breaking while you are playing inside of a game . By the way by testing them I mean shooting them with your airsoft gun repeten y for a couple of times just to see how they hold up
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/alabamaairsoft
Lone Wolf
General
General
Lone Wolf

PostSubject: Re: TO ALL AIRSOFTERS: General Education on the sport of airsoft   TO ALL AIRSOFTERS: General Education on the sport of airsoft Icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2009 5:52 pm

Test them within MED. Or test them pointblank if you don't have MED's
Back to top Go down
http://ontargetairsoft.com/
Creed769
Colonel
Colonel
Creed769

PostSubject: Re: TO ALL AIRSOFTERS: General Education on the sport of airsoft   TO ALL AIRSOFTERS: General Education on the sport of airsoft Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 12:59 pm

I wear a paintball mask, there is nothing I hate more than getting shot in the face!
Back to top Go down
http://thetruthaboutairsoft.blogspot.com/
TheCrazyAirsoft
Private
Private
TheCrazyAirsoft

PostSubject: Re: TO ALL AIRSOFTERS: General Education on the sport of airsoft   TO ALL AIRSOFTERS: General Education on the sport of airsoft Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 7:02 pm

Great Post! Wish I had seen this before I bought my first airsoft gun from HobbyTron...
Back to top Go down
http://crazyairsoft.weebly.com/
Johnny V
Private
Private
Johnny V

PostSubject: Re: TO ALL AIRSOFTERS: General Education on the sport of airsoft   TO ALL AIRSOFTERS: General Education on the sport of airsoft Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 4:51 pm

thank you and great post
Back to top Go down
http://hobbyofairsoft.weebly.com/
c0mr4d3
Sergeant
Sergeant
c0mr4d3

PostSubject: Re: TO ALL AIRSOFTERS: General Education on the sport of airsoft   TO ALL AIRSOFTERS: General Education on the sport of airsoft Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 6:22 pm

This is very well thought out you obviously know a "Watch your language" of alot about airsoft and I like the humble thing all airsofters should just have a general love for the sport and respect for any and all of its players.
Back to top Go down
ura4
Private
Private

PostSubject: my   TO ALL AIRSOFTERS: General Education on the sport of airsoft Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 9:16 am

good post bounce
Back to top Go down
http://customcollegeessays.com/persuasive-essays.php
Breckton
Sergeant
Sergeant
Breckton

PostSubject: Re: TO ALL AIRSOFTERS: General Education on the sport of airsoft   TO ALL AIRSOFTERS: General Education on the sport of airsoft Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 2:05 pm

ura4 wrote:
good post bounce
cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TO ALL AIRSOFTERS: General Education on the sport of airsoft   TO ALL AIRSOFTERS: General Education on the sport of airsoft Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TO ALL AIRSOFTERS: General Education on the sport of airsoft
Page 1 of 1