Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inThe Airsoft Sniper

Basic/Intermediate vs. Paramedic

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Spl. Durkee
General Grade 2
Spl. Durkee

Basic/Intermediate vs. Paramedic  Empty
PostSubject: Basic/Intermediate vs. Paramedic    Basic/Intermediate vs. Paramedic  Icon_minitimeWed Feb 02, 2011 8:52 pm

Hoping to start doing course work toward EMT-1 CERT and was asked the question: do I want to go basic, intermediate, or paramedic?

1) I don't plan on making EMS a career, rather a long-term job until a nursing career gets underway, would basic be a more practical option?
2) I live in a suburban area, isn't ALS primarily for rural areas where access to hospitals is restricted?
3) For most private ambulance service or hospital EMT, is intermediate required?

Edits:
-Title Edited
Long day, give me a break hahaha. I'm a newb at this.

Basic/Intermediate vs. Paramedic  Tumblr_l98plzGLFU1qbipv3o1_400
Back to top Go down
alexkmmll
Major
Major
alexkmmll

PostSubject: Re: Basic/Intermediate vs. Paramedic    Basic/Intermediate vs. Paramedic  Icon_minitimeWed Feb 02, 2011 9:59 pm

Hmm, I'd just go paramedic. It'd look good to any Hospital once you become a nurse, as well as give you 'on the job experience.' Oh, and it probably pays pretty well.
Here's a question for you... should I take MedOc as a freshman? I have half a credit left to do something with.
Back to top Go down
sticks.13

PostSubject: Re: Basic/Intermediate vs. Paramedic    Basic/Intermediate vs. Paramedic  Icon_minitimeWed Feb 02, 2011 11:30 pm

Most of your questions vary from state to state. But I agree, full paramedic licensing would give you more experience to make you a better nurse. Here in Ohio, Columbus was the first city that required all of its ems/fire to be fully licensed paramedics(actually in the country too). The rest of the state is following suit soon. I don't know what the situation is over there in cali but the more certified you are can. Make you look allot better when job hunting. Also you need emt-B/I to get your medic cert. So why not just go all the way. Most of the guys I know going through school are working partime as Intermediates' outside of the city propper while going to school. Just another rout you could go.

Either way goodluck. Mom just graduated with her RN. Its not easy. Of you smoke, stop before yhou start the degree Laughing .

sticks
Back to top Go down
slob212
slob212

PostSubject: Re: Basic/Intermediate vs. Paramedic    Basic/Intermediate vs. Paramedic  Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 10:15 am

I would go the Paramedic route, as an EMT you are basicly a High Speed/Low Drag first responder, either way all other schooling is stair steps on the way to your nursing degree.

Regardless of what you choose, I wish you all the best, Nursing is one of the most under rated, unapreciated and most Honorable of Professions that I can think of.

Last edited by slob212 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sanguinary Angel
Sergeant
Sergeant
Sanguinary Angel

PostSubject: Re: Basic/Intermediate vs. Paramedic    Basic/Intermediate vs. Paramedic  Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 6:41 pm

Paramedic would be the wisest of the choices my friend
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Basic/Intermediate vs. Paramedic    Basic/Intermediate vs. Paramedic  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Basic/Intermediate vs. Paramedic
Page 1 of 1