Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inThe Airsoft Sniper

cutting down a tightbore

Go down 
+2
Fox13
Dark Knight
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Dark Knight
Corporal
Corporal
Dark Knight

cutting down a tightbore Empty
PostSubject: cutting down a tightbore   cutting down a tightbore Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2008 9:04 pm

i'm looking to put a tightbore in the M4. I've found some deals on barrels longer than the 300mm i'm looking for. Does anyone have any experiance cutting down a barrel. I'm a little worried i'll jack it up somehow. Any knowledge would be helpful.

DK
Back to top Go down
Fox13
Corporal
Corporal
Fox13

PostSubject: Re: cutting down a tightbore   cutting down a tightbore Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2008 9:14 pm

If the barrel you are getting is longer than the stock one you will need a bore up kit. Other wise the longer barrel will create a suction as the BB exits, significantly lowering FPS.
Back to top Go down
sticks.13

PostSubject: Re: cutting down a tightbore   cutting down a tightbore Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2008 9:30 pm

thats not totaly true. you will not need a bore up kit unless you have a cylinder set that is completely stock. all a bore up kit does is it increases the FPS by 40-60fps so that a gun can get the nessecary FPS to push the bb out the barrel. in essence it does the same thing as a spring upgrade.

if you have a normal M4 then your stock barrel length is 365mm not 300. if you have a CQB kit then you will need an Mp5 barrel or something about that length

hope that helps

sticks
Back to top Go down
Dark Knight
Corporal
Corporal
Dark Knight

PostSubject: Re: cutting down a tightbore   cutting down a tightbore Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2008 10:07 pm

It's a commando length so it's shorter than 365. I've been told the commando is 300mm, and because it's 300mm not quite as popular.

DK
Back to top Go down
sticks.13

PostSubject: Re: cutting down a tightbore   cutting down a tightbore Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2008 10:15 pm

if the comando is the same as an M733 (i think thats what i herd) then youll need one of these. http://www.airsoftsmith.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=39_45&products_id=150
unless you specifically using your gun for CQB the i would add a silencer and then increase the barrel length. somthing like this: http://www.airsoftsmith.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=30_81&products_id=145
ive seen a silencer as long as this on an M733 and it looked pretty good: http://www.airsoftsmith.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=30_81&products_id=146

then you could use the larger tight bores such as this for the first silencer: http://www.airsoftsmith.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=39_45&products_id=149

and this for the second: http://www.airsoftsmith.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=39_45&products_id=549

if you have a larger barrel you WILL notice a huge difference in your accuracy.

hope that helps

sticks
Back to top Go down
Dark Knight
Corporal
Corporal
Dark Knight

PostSubject: Re: cutting down a tightbore   cutting down a tightbore Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2008 10:31 pm

My accuracy isn't that bad with everything stock, i was just looking for a little tighter grouping.
I really don't want to increase the length at all. i love the CQ aspect of it(why i went with commando Smile ). the 733 is 300mm. I'd love to find a 6.04 that can be the same length as the one i'm taking out.

DK
Back to top Go down
sticks.13

PostSubject: Re: cutting down a tightbore   cutting down a tightbore Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2008 10:51 pm

i would double check the length but if your determined to find a 300mm length barrel then you will need a thompson lenth barrel.

sticks
Back to top Go down
Seabass_9000
Seabass_9000

PostSubject: Re: cutting down a tightbore   cutting down a tightbore Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Actually it really isnt very hard to cut down a barrel... basically you cut down the barrel. Very Happy

Ok, seriously though, just figure out what length you want (I would recommend as long as you can go with still looking good). Then cut off the excess barrel with whatever cutting device you choose. Then sand down the tip of the barrel just a bit, what works really good is to get a sharp razor and lightly shave away pieces to make it sort of a cone shape going into the barrel (like a standard barrel would have at the tip).

If you want a 300mm you could get a Madbull like this one:
http://www.precisionairsoft.net/Mad-Bull-6-03mm-Tight-Bore-Barrel-300mm-p/mad086.htm
-It is basically the only 300mm barrel that I could find in stock anywhere. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.theairsoftsniper.com
Beer.N.Gin
Private
Private
Beer.N.Gin

PostSubject: Re: cutting down a tightbore   cutting down a tightbore Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2008 8:57 pm

I wouldn't suggest cutting! Jamming can happen if it's done wrong! The barrel could be pinched or deformed after cutting.

But if you have to, have a metal shop do it for you. Also, if you can, use a pipe cutter. Also, use a drummel to carve out the end of the barrel to have that concave look.

Or, Call DB Customs, they do custom barrels. Their barrels are very good! I have been using them for a while now. Their inner barrel diameter is 6.01, so your accuracy goes up! Here's their website, they don't do online orders though, so call them.

www.deescustoms.com

Here's their phone number: 1.509.248.1709

Or, you could just get a longer barrel, and add a barrel extension or silencer.

Either way, your choice man!
Back to top Go down
mercenary
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: cutting down a tightbore   cutting down a tightbore Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 10:51 am

there are two ways you can do this by yourself.

1. You will need a vice/clamp, the one attached on a table (not a vice grip), when attaching the barrel make sure that it is wrapped by a cloth as the vice will definitely scratch the outer barrel.

2. Use a hacksaw (make sure you use the right blade) but there is a risk that the cut may not turn out straight.

OPTION B:

1. same as above

2. purchase a tube/pipe cutter at hardware store. This is a small device that would fit on your hands. Usually color red. It has a circular blade. Once the barrel is secure in the clamp, you attach the cutting device and rotate it while slowld tightening it so the blade cuts it gradually. The result would be a clean cut.. After the cut deburr the end by using a grit 1000 sandpaper.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: cutting down a tightbore   cutting down a tightbore Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

cutting down a tightbore
Page 1 of 1