Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inThe Airsoft Sniper

Posting for rank

Go down 
+5
Spl. Durkee
Lone Wolf
Alabama_Sniper
AFU
Zane
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Zane
Major
Major

Posting for rank Empty
PostSubject: Posting for rank   Posting for rank Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 1:42 pm

This is just me blowing of steam so ignore if you want. I am REALY tired if people making random pointless posts just for the purpose of getting forum "rank" If you don't have somthing constructive to add to the discusion PLEASE don't respond. And also please do not post 5 times in a row making a sentance with one word posts each time..(exageration but some of you are close) Make your response into one well devoloped answer to the topic at hand and if a a real response is needed make one but I BEG you do not make stupid pointless answers and keep your answer to one reply not 5 in a row. And just as I posted this it happened agian Mad

Quote :
How about attempting the simple solution first,

Police your Threads, let the individuals know that you are not happy with them Flooding your Posts and Threads with useless information of just plain old dribble, send them a PM, let them know what you think, be as polite as possible, but there are ways to get your point across without being insulting or demeaning.

I am sure a change is comming, when ?? I donīt know, but when it does there are going to be some unhappy individuals.

Quote :
More mods Second, we need a method that eliminates the need to make pointless post and IM/Email like conversations. Also suggest to Admin a chat-box. This will of course require even more moderators, and should be used firstly in beta testing to make sure that it doesn't cause too many problems than it prevents.

Thirdly, we need a sticky post on forum policy and manners. Maybe even put it in the terms of use!

Quote :
The only real way to prevent people from making "pointless" is to be incredibly strict, and a lot of people will complain about the moderators, and you'll even lose a lot of members because of it.

The Pros to this are:

The forum becomes a closer knit community for those who stay.
Most post and topics are better thought-out and in general a higher quality.

The cons:

You lose a lot of younger or impatient members.
The moderators won't be as liked as much, because they will be seen as strict

Quote :
All members have limited moderator power to edit or delete a post...may and probably will be abused unless some sort of checks and balance system is set up, maybe requiring three thumbs down to warrant a change or something of that sort.

Last edited by Zane on Mon May 04, 2009 7:08 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
AFU
AFU

Posting for rank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posting for rank   Posting for rank Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 3:22 pm

Most forums have this problem, usually the moderators will tackle the problem on an individual level as they see fit. I say though, let the Moderators handle it. You don't need to worry about people making stupid post to raise their post count, that isn't your job right now. It is the moderators job, let them handle it.

If you think they are unaware of the problem, a PM would have sufficed better than a post.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Salkand
Alabama_Sniper
Colonel
Colonel

Posting for rank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posting for rank   Posting for rank Icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2009 6:09 pm

Sometimes , like by double posting , rank posting is just by accident sometimes it isn't . Our moderators are doing their very best but it just isn't good enough all of the time . We need some more moderators if you ask me , not that Slob and Sticks aren't doing a great job they just need some more help . I am not saying that I could do it better than or that I am posting this just to help me get the job don't get me wrong I probally couldnt do near as good of a job as Slob and Sticks . This forum used to be like a small town , low crime , but now that the small town is growing into a large city , high crime , it is hard to control it with a limited amount of moderators or administrators .
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/alabamaairsoft
AFU
AFU

Posting for rank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posting for rank   Posting for rank Icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2009 7:57 pm

I have a very experiences forumer, so take my word when I say this.

The only real way to prevent people from making "pointless" is to be incredibly strict, and a lot of people will complain about the moderators, and you'll even lose a lot of members because of it.

The Pros to this are:

The forum becomes a closer knit community for those who stay.
Most post and topics are better thought-out and in general a higher quality.

The cons:

You lose a lot of younger or impatient members.
The moderators won't be as liked as much, because they will be seen as strict

Obviously that isn't even scratching the surface of the situation, but I feel that is a good generalization on what will happen.
Back to top Go down
Zane
Major
Major

Posting for rank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posting for rank   Posting for rank Icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2009 8:01 pm

I don't know the thing is in my view forum rank is to show those who have shown exceptional knowledge in the particular area and those with high rank are the ones you can turn to when you most need help. Thats just my humble take on life so eh lol.
Back to top Go down
Lone Wolf
General
General
Lone Wolf

Posting for rank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posting for rank   Posting for rank Icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2009 8:46 pm

I agree I have seen so many topics that I just don't care to post in, because it isn't a topic at all, its email or IM at some times to people. Guys if you want to discuss bullshit go to the shout box out on the TASS and keep it somewhat related to airsoft.

But what we are really in need of are a few mods to stay active. We now have over 500 members, 20% of which are moderately active and only 2 seriously active and great mods. But honestly I think they can use a hand.
Back to top Go down
http://ontargetairsoft.com/
Zane
Major
Major

Posting for rank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posting for rank   Posting for rank Icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2009 8:50 pm

Lone Wolf wrote:
I agree I have seen so many topics that I just don't care to post in, because it isn't a topic at all, its email or IM at some times to people. Guys if you want to discuss bullshit go to the shout box out on the TASS and keep it somewhat related to airsoft.

But what we are really in need of are a few mods to stay active. We now have over 500 members, 20% of which are moderately active and only 2 seriously active and great mods. But honestly I think they can use a hand.

Agreed 100% there are several members who would make great mods and have the airsoft experience to back it up with. Correct me if im wrong but 1 mod per 100 members sounds like a good number to me. Or if all else a chatbox could be added at the bottom of the forum to allow them to talk all they want.
Back to top Go down
Spl. Durkee
General Grade 2
Spl. Durkee

Posting for rank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posting for rank   Posting for rank Icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2009 8:54 pm

Ya a chatbox would be awsome. I agree 100% with your 1:100 ratio. I was about to ask about moderators.
Back to top Go down
Lone Wolf
General
General
Lone Wolf

Posting for rank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posting for rank   Posting for rank Icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2009 8:59 pm

eh off topic chat can be arranged, but it takes web space. And depending on the shoutbox it can be real laggy.

And forgive my double post..hehe(forgiven Laughing, modded for awesomeness)...

But we do have moderator #'s to manage it. BUT only 2 of these moderators are really ever active.
Back to top Go down
Spl. Durkee
General Grade 2
Spl. Durkee

Posting for rank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posting for rank   Posting for rank Icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2009 9:34 pm

Ya lag and all that would ruin everything. I get what your saying about only 2 active moderators really. I kinda noticed that too. There are also periods of HOURS where there are no moderators online.
Back to top Go down
S.T.O.R.M. Airsoft
Major
Major
S.T.O.R.M. Airsoft

Posting for rank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posting for rank   Posting for rank Icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2009 11:02 pm

HAHA so who died and made you the moderator? Sorry but to me this post is a rank post becuase its not nessacary. The Mods/ADMIN are doing there best job that they can. They also don't want to ban people for stupid reasons. Sometimes it just happens and you don't even realize it and sometimes theres really nothing much to say theres no questions to ask or theres nothing to comment about.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/STORMAIRSOFT1
Lone Wolf
General
General
Lone Wolf

Posting for rank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posting for rank   Posting for rank Icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2009 11:17 pm

Well they should still issue warnings telling people to tone down the rank posting. Ive seen people we gained about a month ago having over 900 posts and the majority of those post are the most pointless nonsense. They are really using the forum like their personal email or chat. I think that needs to be restricted.
Back to top Go down
Zane
Major
Major

Posting for rank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posting for rank   Posting for rank Icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2009 11:29 pm

S.T.O.R.M. Airsoft wrote:
HAHA so who died and made you the moderator? Sorry but to me this post is a rank post becuase its not nessacary. The Mods/ADMIN are doing there best job that they can. They also don't want to ban people for stupid reasons. Sometimes it just happens and you don't even realize it and sometimes there's really nothing much to say there's no questions to ask or there's nothing to comment about.

No one "died" and made us mods we are raising a valid point in the appropriate section of the forum. This is a concern for some of us who have been here for a while sorry but if someone gets to 900 posts in a month and does not contribute anything meaningful yes there's something wrong.

S.T.O.R.M. Airsoft wrote:
and sometimes there's really nothing much to say there's no questions to ask or there's nothing to comment about.

That is the main issue some of us are having if there's nothing to say don't say anything. If there's nothing to ask don't ask anything if you don't have a valid comment don't make it. its simple. that's all were asking were not asking to be mods were not asking for a miracle all were asking for is something a bit like it was a year ago were if you asked for help you get a good bit of advise not something like "loolz I ate a cookie" or random weird stuff like that.
Back to top Go down
S.T.O.R.M. Airsoft
Major
Major
S.T.O.R.M. Airsoft

Posting for rank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posting for rank   Posting for rank Icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2009 11:30 pm

Agreed there should be some warnings issued that would easily help the cuase. But the 900 posts in a month is just outragouse. Ive been a member for a few weeks now and I have 510 posts (when I posted this comment) if you go through my posts you will find that almost all of them are helpful in a way and are at least 2-3 sentences that have value. I'll admit ive had a few posts that aren't exactly the best or the longest but that was only because there was nothing more to say. We've all done it at some point, some more than others. Really the only problem I have with people is double posting thats what I consider rank posting. To people that do that theres a little EDIT button up in the top right corner.

Zane that was a joke and I agree with you but I belive we should just let the mods/ADMIN do there jobs and leave it at that.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/STORMAIRSOFT1
AFU
AFU

Posting for rank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posting for rank   Posting for rank Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 2:48 am

Ok guys, instead of arguing and agreeing with each other over and over again, think about how to fix this, and hop Admin reads the post.

First, we need more Admins, but has anyone bothered to suggest who would make good Moderators and who wouldn't? Obviously Admin will choose the people HE believes will make good moderators, but a few suggestions could always help him consider who he likes and who he doesn't.

Second, we need a method that eliminates the need to make pointless post and IM/Email like conversations. Also suggest to Admin a chat-box. This will of course require even more moderators, and should be used firstly in beta testing to make sure that it doesn't cause too many problems than it prevents.

Thirdly, we need a sticky post on forum policy and manners. Maybe even put it in the terms of use!

Remember guys, choosing a moderator isn't an easy thing to do. First, Admin has to make sure that the person he is promoting is not going to ruin the forum by editing/deleting post or acting immature. He also needs to know his moderators can handle the workload he is asking them to do. He needs to know he can trust these people, and that takes time to build.
Back to top Go down
Alabama_Sniper
Colonel
Colonel

Posting for rank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posting for rank   Posting for rank Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 10:32 am

Actally most of the people on this forum use the airsoft sniper chat menu . I do . As for rank posting I agree with AFU , its kind of lose lose either way but each way has its own benifits . I say we fix the rank posting even if we lose some members . The way I see it the members that leave because of the stricter rules then those members weren't needed on the forums at all .
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/alabamaairsoft
slob212
slob212

Posting for rank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posting for rank   Posting for rank Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 3:46 am

The posting for `` RANKīī has become a big issue, and I will be the first to admit that there are a small number of members that have gone completly overboard with posting absolute non-sense, meaningless drivel and outright crap.

There are currently 2 Active Mods, and we canīt do it all alone, I personaly donīt have the time to go through each and every post looking for empty, usless comments, Between answering all the PMīs, Questions, and E-Mails from members here that are looking for serious solid information or Help alot of the other problems are slipping through the cracks, soooo...

If you have a problem with empty posts in your threads, topics, posts, PM me !! and I will tent to the matter right away, and I am sure that Sticks would also be more than happy to do the same.

P.S. Last weekends OP was Smokin.....!!!!!!!!!!!.............. Twisted Evil Every muscle in my body is making itself known, Pics and Vids will be posted ASAP.
Back to top Go down
AFU
AFU

Posting for rank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posting for rank   Posting for rank Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 1:39 pm

Like I side, we need to begin recommending names of forum users that would make good moderators. But we need to keep in mind that Admin is the one who chooses, and he may decide we do not need any more mods.

and even if we do make a list, he may already know who he wants to be a mod for his forum and it may not be anyone who is on our list.

I think with a little patients we will see more moderators begin to show on the forum.
Back to top Go down
Spl. Durkee
General Grade 2
Spl. Durkee

Posting for rank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posting for rank   Posting for rank Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 1:47 pm

Well I'm kinda working along that lines right now AFU. I sent Admin a PM yesterday asking if he was looking for moderators. I volunteered myself and am willing to recommend a few people (AFU) but I haven't gotten a reply yet. I feel that I would be a good part of the AA leadership because I have worked with a few different online communities over the years, plus a job in leadership would keep ME in line. I'm online from 3pm to 12pm on most days, weekends Im on even more, so a productive role in the community would be something good for me (that way I'm not just wasting hours every day online).

But I guess I don't want to be self-nominating. I think we should make posts in the "Lounge" and other not-so-important sections not worth points, because thats where most of the non-sense and rank posting is going on.

But in the end, if Airsoft Allies is going to thrive and grow, we need more moderators.

Last edited by Spl. Durkee on Mon May 04, 2009 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TheOneNamedMike
Colonel
Colonel

Posting for rank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posting for rank   Posting for rank Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 2:26 pm

I personally think, that Spl. Durkee, should become a moderator, not for personal reasons, but for what he contributes to our airsoft allies community. He provides information of legal issues (backyard airsofting, and dangerous airsoft players), provides good (if not great) information to new people, and he's always on, keeping an eye on every topic, post, sentence, word, letter, and period. He's always on, and with him being moderator, I think he'll be more productive.
Back to top Go down
Lone Wolf
General
General
Lone Wolf

Posting for rank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posting for rank   Posting for rank Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 4:51 pm

Ok guys but lets not self-nominate people here. We'll wait and let this trickle down to admins ear and maybe he'll open a poll for moderator nominations. I don't think we need Global moderators as we do lvl 1's (Moderators who moderate only a few sections at a time). I may or may not apply for nominations, but I am here practically all of the time and I moderate a few other forums already.
Back to top Go down
TheOneNamedMike
Colonel
Colonel

Posting for rank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posting for rank   Posting for rank Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 4:53 pm

Well then Lone Wolf, i nominate you too! Seeing how you have experience and is usually on
Back to top Go down
AFU
AFU

Posting for rank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posting for rank   Posting for rank Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 5:00 pm

You know, I don't know about this forum, but I know a lot of other forums are capable of this.

One way to prevent posting for rank is to restrict which areas of the forum actually keep track of post count.

I am a part of another forum, where if you post in any off topic or lounge area, or certain picture areas etc. Then your post is not counted for your rank.

This means people can still feel free to make pointless post within a lounge or light post within pictures etc. And the moderators will only have to moderate more important areas for frivolous post.
Back to top Go down
Lone Wolf
General
General
Lone Wolf

Posting for rank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posting for rank   Posting for rank Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 5:08 pm

Okay, how they should determine rank is by reviews and guidance. If a moderator sees you have helped a member with clear and expert advise then they could reward you points for rank. If you submit a review or guide and it is well written and detailed then they could also reward you points. Not by going through every single post to make sure points are not awarded to some individuals.
Back to top Go down
AFU
AFU

Posting for rank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posting for rank   Posting for rank Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 5:18 pm

No, I didn't mean that an actual moderator should go through every single post and determine what isn't worth points.

What I meant was this.

If you go into the forum options there may be an option that makes it so that ANYONE who post in the "lounge" bored, will not receive a point (as if they never posted). It doesn't matter how well thought out the post is, that bored just simply wont give points at all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Posting for rank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posting for rank   Posting for rank Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Posting for rank
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next