Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inThe Airsoft Sniper

Posting for rank

Go down 
+5
Spl. Durkee
Lone Wolf
Alabama_Sniper
AFU
Zane
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Lone Wolf
General
General
Lone Wolf

Posting for rank - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posting for rank   Posting for rank - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 5:21 pm

well that is kind of hard to set up because Admin made it where post in O.T don't count as rank a while ago. But the post number goes up dramatically. Those post are logged indiscriminately if they were in off topic or not.
Back to top Go down
http://ontargetairsoft.com/
slob212
slob212

PostSubject: Re: Posting for rank   Posting for rank - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 5:39 pm

How about attempting the simple solution first,

Police your Threads, let the individuals know that you are not happy with them Flooding your Posts and Threads with useless information of just plain old dribble, send them a PM, let them know what you think, be as polite as possible, but there are ways to get your point across without being insulting or demeaning.

I am sure a change is comming, when ?? I donīt know, but when it does there are going to be some unhappy individuals.
Back to top Go down
elementfrvr
Captain
Captain
elementfrvr

PostSubject: Re: Posting for rank   Posting for rank - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 5:54 pm

I know Admin will have the final say in the mod thing, but I agree that lone wolf should be a moderator. I also think Alabama Sniper should be a moderator.
Back to top Go down
Zane
Major
Major

PostSubject: Re: Posting for rank   Posting for rank - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 6:41 pm

Ok this is pointless my intent for this post was for people to propose solutions to the issue at hand. Namely posting for rank. This is not meant for people to promote themselves for potential mods. Please keep this on topic. To clarify one more time, propose your solutions for rank post issues here do not put your name out there for a moderator that is not the purpose of this post. please keep it on topic.
Back to top Go down
Alabama_Sniper
Colonel
Colonel

PostSubject: Re: Posting for rank   Posting for rank - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 6:44 pm

Well I am happy that I was mentioned but you know again Admin decides the moderators and we don't . We could put it up to a vote but then again that would just lead to personal opinions and stuff like that . I also agree with you one hundred percent this thread has become more of a struggle to promote each other and yourselves that you have lost track at what this thread was set out to do . In hopes of keep ing to the topic I do have a few good reccommendations as to fixing this problem which does not include appointing new moderators this will just cause trouble among ourselves as well . Personally I think that we should all become a moderator not in a sense like we will all be able to moderate the forums and such but in a sense that if somebody is out of line the other members let them know . That used to work before back in the good old days of the forums but now that we have grown larger you just don't see that much of policing and correcting each other any more . We went from having eight moderators down to only two or three and until we get new moderators if Admin decides that we need too we should police ourselves . I also believe that if we keep up with policing ourselves even after we again if Admin decides it is needed for us to keep us ourselves to policing ourselves . In sports people do it in the real world people do it it just works and we should do it more on the forums . Again the moderators aren't superhuman they are just like us and they need to have some help every once in a while . I also agree with you we shouldnt be promoting ourselves or promoting one another .

Last edited by Alabama_Sniper on Mon May 04, 2009 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/alabamaairsoft
AFU
AFU

PostSubject: Re: Posting for rank   Posting for rank - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 6:46 pm

zane wrote:
Please keep this on topic. To clarify one more time, propose your solutions for rank post issues here do not put your name out there for a moderator that is not the purpose of this post. please keep it on topic.

I beg to differ, the solution that we proposed was that in order to prevent posting for ranks was to obtain more moderators. So it is actually quite appropriate for a person to suggest himself or others as moderators, as (If you had read my original post on the subject) you would see was mentioned earlier as a solution with some other solutions mentioned further down the line.

As the starter of this thread, you should go back and gather all the solutions, then make a post with all of them together, that way we can all review them again and compare them to each other.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Salkand
Zane
Major
Major

PostSubject: Re: Posting for rank   Posting for rank - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 6:48 pm

All proposed will be added in my first one in a min. And no this is not a place to be running to be a moderator that will be decided by the current mods and admin based on performance not a popularity contest.
Back to top Go down
Alabama_Sniper
Colonel
Colonel

PostSubject: Re: Posting for rank   Posting for rank - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 6:52 pm

I highly agree and couldnt agree with you more . While I also Agree with you AFU I also think that you and every one else should reframe from reccomending new moderators as this will just cause conflict amoung the members and distract away from the true purpose of this thread thank you very much .
Back to top Go down
AFU
AFU

PostSubject: Re: Posting for rank   Posting for rank - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 6:59 pm

Alabama_Sniper wrote:
I think that we should all become a moderator not in a sense like we will all be able to moderate the forums and such. . .

Interesting idea, is there a option that Admin could set on the forum that allows the starter of a thread very small modification abilities?

Because if you gave the starter of any thread the ability to delete post, we could solve the problem. Because they can only delete post in their threads, they won't be able to modify someone's post or make it appear like they are saying anything they weren't, but they can eliminate post they don't want.

Obviously you'll run into a few problems like a thread starter deleting a good post (In his thread) because he doesn't like the person who posted it. But I think we can overlook that, right?
Back to top Go down
Alabama_Sniper
Colonel
Colonel

PostSubject: Re: Posting for rank   Posting for rank - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 7:05 pm

Well I don't know that may be taken advantage of like you said if the starter of the thread didnt like the post . We could have it fixed to where that they had to state a reason why they where deletting that post and that have to be cleared by a Moderater or an Administrator first kind of like we had to back whenever we were Moderators on that old SCAR forum remeber that AFU . But then again that may also cause conflict and problems . We could have the site set to where a fill in the blank thing appeared whenever they tried to delete a post and if their reason wasn't on one of the fill in the blanks they could select other reason than listed here and then right it in . Again its not a great ideal but it could work as just an improvement to your ideal .
Back to top Go down
Zane
Major
Major

PostSubject: Re: Posting for rank   Posting for rank - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 7:09 pm

I like that idea but how about a system such as the CSS votekick system were it requires a certain number of votes to be deleted or changed.
Back to top Go down
Alabama_Sniper
Colonel
Colonel

PostSubject: Re: Posting for rank   Posting for rank - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 7:15 pm

Again that may run into some problems . You see multiple account holders may take advantage of this and also popular vote may not like the purpose of the post and take advantage of this and vote to delete a perfectly good thread post . You are going to have trouble just about everything that you try and to do .
Back to top Go down
Zane
Major
Major

PostSubject: Re: Posting for rank   Posting for rank - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 7:18 pm

mhm your right so basically the way I see it posted so far three options are practical 1) Try to keep control of your own thread by PMing people making pointless stuff and such. 2) Add a chat box (may have some potential lag issues?) 3) More mods. That pretty much covers the only viable solutions to rank posting. If im wrong post away but I believe those are the only practical options available at this time.
Back to top Go down
AFU
AFU

PostSubject: Re: Posting for rank   Posting for rank - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 7:29 pm

Zane wrote:
Try to keep control of your own thread by PMing people making pointless stuff and such. . .

Actually, you send a PM to the person, but his irrelevant post (As well as the other 200 other irrelevant post made by other people, is still there. To top that off, more people will continue to come on forcing you to continually PM a thousand people (Exaggerated) for every thread you start. Most members will simply give up and stop bothering to PM people anymore.
Back to top Go down
Alabama_Sniper
Colonel
Colonel

PostSubject: Re: Posting for rank   Posting for rank - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 8:55 pm

Yeah hes right Zane . While I don't like it the only solution is to deal with it for a little while until we can either appoint new Moderators or Find a sure good way to completely do away with rank posting . I used to do it but now I don't . People don't relise it they just want a higher rank so that they can seem important to the forum well let me say this that rank isn't what makes you seem important to the forum but its the good experience and the good advice that is inside of all of your posts . As a matter of fact I probally have if not the most but one of the most posts on this forum but I would rather trade all of my 1400 posts for just five wise and experienced ones . Makes you really think if you are posting just for your rank huh if you one of the ones that is rank posting .
Back to top Go down
S.T.O.R.M. Airsoft
Major
Major
S.T.O.R.M. Airsoft

PostSubject: Re: Posting for rank   Posting for rank - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 9:00 pm

I think we should all just police our own threads. This way it takes some wieght off the shoulders of then ADMIN/Mods its just an easy PM to them and then they can decide what to do. But this could also run into problems like if the person isent posting for rank...... That could be an issue but im sure the ADMIN/Mods would be able to decide that. Also if we do this it should be annoymos (spelling?) that way it prevents fights for breaking out.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/STORMAIRSOFT1
Zane
Major
Major

PostSubject: Re: Posting for rank   Posting for rank - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 9:06 pm

Alabama_Sniper wrote:
Yeah hes right Zane . While I don't like it the only solution is to deal with it for a little while until we can either appoint new Moderators or Find a sure good way to completely do away with rank posting . I used to do it but now I don't . People don't relise it they just want a higher rank so that they can seem important to the forum well let me say this that rank isn't what makes you seem important to the forum but its the good experience and the good advice that is inside of all of your posts . As a matter of fact I probally have if not the most but one of the most posts on this forum but I would rather trade all of my 1400 posts for just five wise and experienced ones . Makes you really think if you are posting just for your rank huh if you one of the ones that is rank posting .

See people like you are what rank is for...I know for a fact every one of those 1400 posts you made was to contribute to a topic or to help someone. I know if I need help I can ask you because you are experienced its just recently that the rank posters have come into play before this you could go to someone with high "rank" and expect someone knowledgeable or someone that would take time to find the right answer at the other end. But thats just my opinion. Sic Vita Est
Back to top Go down
Spl. Durkee
General Grade 2
Spl. Durkee

PostSubject: Re: Posting for rank   Posting for rank - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 10:26 pm

Ok so my last comment on this issue was deleted or removed I guess:

I was saying that I don't think a moderator should have the right to delete posts anyway. The Administrator should be the only person with that capability. Moderators, by definition, are there to MODERATE, not ELIMINATE. I've been on too many forums that give moderators too much power, I don't want to see this one turn out like that.

Voting for moderators would be pointless by the way. The Administrator needs to be the one making choices around here. Hand selecting is the only way to pick effective, mature, trustworthy leadership.

STORM is justified in saying that we need to police our own threads, that we should contact a Moderator through PM's if we see a problem...but thats the problem, Moderators would be so overwhelmed once this forum starts to really expand. Not that you should'nt HELP the moderators, its just that moderating needs to be done by moderators, just as policing needs to be done by your local law enforcement Very Happy

Rank is something needed in all good forums, but I think there are some sections of this forum that don't have to have rank ability. For one, the "Lounge" should not reward people for making posts, commenting, etc. because that is where the majority of so-called "rank posting" and off-topic discussion is made. Like I said, rank needs to stay. Its a way of seeing "Hey, that guy has made _____ number of comments. Surely he knows what he's saying. He must be a good person to ask for advice."

On that subject, rank should not be a manual thing as some of you suggested. Moderators and Administrators are busy enough as it is without having to patrol EVERY post, EVERY article, and EVERY comment in order to give "points". Consider that idea off the books. As an moderator on a few other websites, that would be a living night-mare. Its a good idea for a forum that maybe has a few hundred people, but for a rapidly expanding and soon-to-be massive forum...it aint too effective.

Now, for all of you out there thinkin about challenging the moderator's authority...don't. They will do what they need to do to make your experience on Airsoft Allies worthwhile and educational. If we, the community, just watched what we say, minimize un-needed comments and play nicely we will ease the workload of our leadership (and some of you, LEARN TO SPELL!).

Keep in mind that the Codes of Conduct of airsoft don't apply only on the field, but should be respected online, in everyday life, and in conversation.

RESPECT
HONOR
FAIRNESS
FRIENDSHIP
KINDNESS
AND NUMBER ONE....FUN!

Lets keep the spirit of sportsmanship alive in a wold that lacks it.

Thank you Admin, Sticks, Seabass, Slob and others for an amazing experience and forum.
Back to top Go down
slob212
slob212

PostSubject: Re: Posting for rank   Posting for rank - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 3:16 am

This is going to be the last post in this Thread,

A lot of good Ideas have been tossed around and discussed, some good some bad, the final decision rests with ADMIN and I am sure that he will address the situation and make the Appropriate corrections.

Mod, powers and capabilities to lock, delete, move, split, merge threads can be annoying to members when their threads just disappear, or end up being Modified for what ever reason, but if People would take the time to read the Forum Rules, Topic Rules, this discussion here would never have come up !!!!

If you should have a Problem with a specific MOD, send them a PM explaining what is on your mind or bothering you. We are trying to do our best and to be fair to all members here, we can accept Criticism, Suggestions for Improvement, sometimes maybe even go to the extreme to keep the Majority happy.

I have read over and over from many Members here, one of the reasons they like this Forum is mainly to do with the laid back and relaxed atmosphere, the solid and helpful information that they receive, just like in everything else in life, there is an element that has taken it upon themselves to abuse the Positive aspects of this Forum, all I can say for now is,

Police your threads, Wait for ADMIN to make the changes ( If Any ), that he thinks needed to be done in order to correct the problems, Inform your Friendly MODS Twisted Evil about issues that are bothering you, and be patient.

With that,
Closed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Posting for rank   Posting for rank - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Posting for rank
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2