Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inThe Airsoft Sniper

Why are green lasers better than red?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Spl. Durkee
General Grade 2
Spl. Durkee

Why are green lasers better than red? Empty
PostSubject: Why are green lasers better than red?   Why are green lasers better than red? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 6:06 pm

http://shock.military.com/Shock/videos.do?displayContent=209417&page=1

Bottom line, our eyes are more sensitive to the light frequency found in green light than any other color.
Just wanted to clear that up...
Back to top Go down
alexkmmll
Major
Major
alexkmmll

PostSubject: Re: Why are green lasers better than red?   Why are green lasers better than red? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 6:08 pm

So that means that they can see your lazer better?
Back to top Go down
Spl. Durkee
General Grade 2
Spl. Durkee

PostSubject: Re: Why are green lasers better than red?   Why are green lasers better than red? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 6:12 pm

alexkmmll wrote:
So that means that they can see your lazer better?

Lasers are built so that you have to be looking at the source stright on in order to see it from the recieving end. In that sense, it should be near impossible for an OPFOR operator to pick up your position based on the laser. Even if they were to be able to do so somehow, hopefully you would have racked off a few rounds by then. Laser sights aren't like they are in the movies. You can't see the beams unless the room is REALLY foggy, dusty, smoky.
Back to top Go down
alexkmmll
Major
Major
alexkmmll

PostSubject: Re: Why are green lasers better than red?   Why are green lasers better than red? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 6:15 pm

Good point...
Back to top Go down
Omega Lambda
Major
Major
Omega Lambda

PostSubject: Re: Why are green lasers better than red?   Why are green lasers better than red? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 7:35 pm

Actually, lasers at the frequencies they're talking about in that vid (visible green and red) can be seen from any angle. The beam can be seen most clearly at night, or if there is some smoke/dust/fog in the air. Lasers in red dot sights operate at different frequencies (invisible infrared frequencies) which is why you can only see them through the sight or through infrared goggles.
Back to top Go down
Spl. Durkee
General Grade 2
Spl. Durkee

PostSubject: Re: Why are green lasers better than red?   Why are green lasers better than red? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 12:49 am

Omega Lambda wrote:
Actually, lasers at the frequencies they're talking about in that vid (visible green and red) can be seen from any angle.
With propper shielding your tactical laser should have 0 peripheral.

I own a red CT grip laser (on my kimber) and the diode and source is extremely hard to spot...which is what I was trying to say.
No laser that I've ever seen is strong enough to make the beam visible in broad daylight with no obstruction (smoke, fog, etc.)...

Lasers as far as I've seen are primarily used during daytime operation. Yes, the beam is more likely to become visible during nightime use...but thats mainly when being used over long distances where the light is able to refract off atmospheric particles.
Back to top Go down
Zane
Major
Major

PostSubject: Re: Why are green lasers better than red?   Why are green lasers better than red? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 12:50 am

to be honost its simple..just look at the light spectrum....r-o-y-g-b-i-v
Back to top Go down
Ostentatious1
Private
Private
Ostentatious1

PostSubject: Re: Why are green lasers better than red?   Why are green lasers better than red? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 11, 2010 10:06 pm

Lasers are good - for the cool factor, target practice, movies, ticking off cats or my 3 year old, etc.

Us in the military generally use red (or maybe a green) dot sights. As we are the only ones that can see their light. Highly important when you are not the only one out there with a weapon.

Pretty simple.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why are green lasers better than red?   Why are green lasers better than red? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why are green lasers better than red?
Page 1 of 1