Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inThe Airsoft Sniper

how to be a spotter with no camo

Go down 
+5
sticks.13
Satan
Spl. Durkee
K1nG
Vegas
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Vegas
Private
Private

how to be a spotter with no camo Empty
PostSubject: how to be a spotter with no camo   how to be a spotter with no camo Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 10:28 pm

Title says it all, here, unless you are filling the role of a sniper, and using a snniper rifle class weapon, you cannot use a ghillie of any sort. So what could a spotter do in this situation?

Oh yeah, here, snipers can only use a 25% ghillie Mad Its the most limited class, they justify it by saying they have the most FPS Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
K1nG
Sergeant
Sergeant
K1nG

PostSubject: Re: how to be a spotter with no camo   how to be a spotter with no camo Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 10:39 pm

Well, where some dark greens. Find a place to hide below some bushes or something like a tree maybe. Just an opinion.

SUMMARY:

Hide behind something.
Back to top Go down
Spl. Durkee
General Grade 2
Spl. Durkee

PostSubject: Re: how to be a spotter with no camo   how to be a spotter with no camo Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 10:42 pm

Quite good actually. Considering I do not wear a ghillie suit of any kind, just BDU's, and manage to perform the role of spotter/designated marksmen very well.

The human eye looks for three things:
-Color differences
-Texture differences
-Movement

Depending on your region, well picked battle dress can prove invaluable and sometimes even more effective than a ghillie. It just depends on how you play the game of tricking the human eye.

Last edited by Spl. Durkee on Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Vegas
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: how to be a spotter with no camo   how to be a spotter with no camo Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 5:47 pm

Alright, I'll look into some tigerstripe or M85 woodland, i think those will work best.
Back to top Go down
Spl. Durkee
General Grade 2
Spl. Durkee

PostSubject: Re: how to be a spotter with no camo   how to be a spotter with no camo Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 6:21 pm

What kind of environments are you playing in? I may be able to help you out with some better BDU choices.
Back to top Go down
Vegas
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: how to be a spotter with no camo   how to be a spotter with no camo Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 7:11 pm

I'll get you a picture soon, right now its dark. In summer its pretty green, with a lot of rhododendrons, and I mean a lot. Right now everything's dead, grey except for the red, yellow, and orange leave covered ground.
Back to top Go down
K1nG
Sergeant
Sergeant
K1nG

PostSubject: Re: how to be a spotter with no camo   how to be a spotter with no camo Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 7:42 pm

WELLLL, I'd get ACU (for the grey) or a dark desert color. See what people at your field where. If you live in a place like Durkee's avatar then I'd get more of Desert/green.
Back to top Go down
Vegas
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: how to be a spotter with no camo   how to be a spotter with no camo Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 8:03 pm

Yeah, my places is nothing like his, tons more vegetation. Usually theres a lot of woods, and thick underbrush.
I'll check out some people next time, problem is, because we identify teams based on a green/tan, basis, theres many who say screw working camo, and go for what they think looks cool.

I found a locals team's pictures you can check out, get an idea for where I would play
http://www.taskforce16.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=7241953
I think this one is around early spring, or late fall.
http://www.taskforce16.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=1820662
Back to top Go down
Satan
Major
Major
Satan

PostSubject: Re: how to be a spotter with no camo   how to be a spotter with no camo Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 8:35 pm

Back to top Go down
sticks.13

PostSubject: Re: how to be a spotter with no camo   how to be a spotter with no camo Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 9:22 pm

Get a Boonie hat, attach rubber bands and jute etc to the hat. Make sure the jute can come down to your shoulders. This should be enough if you expect close engagements with OPFOR.

IMO the best tool for a sniper/spotter team is no or little movement as possible. I've seen people walk right over and actually on someone who was in BDU pants, and a black T shirt. Our eyes are trained to pick up movement, no movement and the likelihood of being spotted in little.

sticks
Back to top Go down
Vegas
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: how to be a spotter with no camo   how to be a spotter with no camo Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 10:07 pm

Thanks Satan, I'll look into those, I think the reason they're so strict on Ghillies is they don't want someone coming in with a full ghillie on an 80 degree day, and suffering heat strokes. I've tried those on before, they are quite light.

@Sticks, I'll try your advice, I've got a year before I can wear a Ghillie, so I may just do without after a years worth not having it.
I had also thought for a cheap ghillie, using the same method you described, but using paracord, and weaving it back forth, in and out of the molle webbing on a vest. Natural camo>fake camo Laughing
Back to top Go down
sticks.13

PostSubject: Re: how to be a spotter with no camo   how to be a spotter with no camo Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 10:15 pm

The rubber bands are for attaching natural veg. Fake veg is a great filler, and when applied correctly works great in conjunction with real veg. Just make sure the whole thing isn't fake veg.

Note: the whole point of a ghillie is to break up the outline of the human body. The most recognizable part if the body would be the human head and shoulders. The boonie trick eliminates both the head and shoulder silhouette if done correctly...

sticks
Back to top Go down
Vegas
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: how to be a spotter with no camo   how to be a spotter with no camo Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 10:29 pm

Yeah, definitely looking into that, and the gun wrap. I'm thinking just paracord it like Bauer:
how to be a spotter with no camo Bauer
how to be a spotter with no camo DSCF5596

And sticks, this is what you are talking about right?
how to be a spotter with no camo DSCF5588
how to be a spotter with no camo DSCF5594
But adding some to a Boonie too?
Back to top Go down
Insane Mercc
Colonel
Colonel
Insane Mercc

PostSubject: Re: how to be a spotter with no camo   how to be a spotter with no camo Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 8:36 pm

If your going to be less moblie than a DM then you will want much more than what you have now...plus when you are putting Veg in your hat etc then put the bunched end in first. and try to keep Veg on your rifle vertical or slanted but not too high its in your way. jocolor
Back to top Go down
Vegas
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: how to be a spotter with no camo   how to be a spotter with no camo Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2009 4:42 pm

I can put as much as I want of veg and other camo material on my head and rifle, but on the body, only 25% can be covered, so upper and middle back is about what i can get away with. No limits on how thick it is, just how much it covers you. I think I could get by if I stuck to being on a crest, or similar.

Just restating, thats not me in the pics, thats Bauer from Arnies airsoft, using his pictures for reference.
Back to top Go down
sticks.13

PostSubject: Re: how to be a spotter with no camo   how to be a spotter with no camo Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2009 5:27 pm

I was actually just talking about a lone standing boonie hat setup. All the veg would be on the boonie, and jute would come down(from the boonie) to cover your shoulders.

Heres something you might be interested in:
http://www.rstacticalgear.com/pd_ghillieskins.cfm

I know the price is outrageous, however replicating this system would be relatively cheap. I believe this is less than 25% of the body as well.

sticks
Back to top Go down
Briss - Sniper
Private
Private
Briss - Sniper

PostSubject: Re: how to be a spotter with no camo   how to be a spotter with no camo Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 7:01 pm

Do not forget that wearing camo's that blend into your surroundings does not make you invisible by any means, there are obvious things like not standing straight up to the horizon as to reveal a clear silhouette. Not that i am by any means a pro at blending in to my surroundings, i assume that the skill comes with experience and practice, so the more you play, the better you will get at it.
Back to top Go down
Rusty M16A4
Captain
Captain
Rusty M16A4

PostSubject: Re: how to be a spotter with no camo   how to be a spotter with no camo Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 3:30 pm

Well, I'm currently a sniper and all I wear is my US M81 Woodland BDUs. No ghillie, no hat, no gloves, no face paint, and no mask. For my rifle, all I have is some crude fake woodland camouflage cloth wrapped around my rifle's outer barrel and stock. I also taped plastic foliage around my barrel. I've been told I was a good sniper, so I guess it works okay.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/sgtb0yr13
Creed769
Colonel
Colonel
Creed769

PostSubject: Re: how to be a spotter with no camo   how to be a spotter with no camo Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 5:46 pm

Necropost alert
Back to top Go down
http://thetruthaboutairsoft.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how to be a spotter with no camo   how to be a spotter with no camo Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

how to be a spotter with no camo
Page 1 of 1