Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inThe Airsoft Sniper

Homemade airsoft guns- is it possible?

Go down 
+3
Spl. Durkee
Insane Mercc
Accordion man
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Accordion man
Corporal
Corporal
Accordion man

Homemade airsoft guns- is it possible? Empty
PostSubject: Homemade airsoft guns- is it possible?   Homemade airsoft guns- is it possible? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 12:06 am

hello, this Accordion Man.

I was thinking today, is it possible to make your own airsoft guns? And if so is it legal?

I was thinking if you got, for an example, the body and barrel for a - lets say a spring M4 - then could you possibly somehow form them together to make the outside? then get a gearbox, spring, Etc.

anyway I was mostly wondering about this for reference.
Back to top Go down
Insane Mercc
Colonel
Colonel
Insane Mercc

PostSubject: Re: Homemade airsoft guns- is it possible?   Homemade airsoft guns- is it possible? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 12:12 am

If its the spring M4 then it wouldnt be possible really...or even a super cheap LPEG M4 because a different gear box would use different screw holes than the POS models and if you drop it the body would probly break.

As far as Legality im fairly sure its not illegal but thats up to wherever you live and your states laws.
Back to top Go down
Spl. Durkee
General Grade 2
Spl. Durkee

PostSubject: Re: Homemade airsoft guns- is it possible?   Homemade airsoft guns- is it possible? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 12:45 am

You can build airsoft guns from factory parts...but I've yet to hear of anyone building from scratch.

Legal, yes.
Possible, I suppose.
Practical, not at all.
Back to top Go down
Accordion man
Corporal
Corporal
Accordion man

PostSubject: Re: Homemade airsoft guns- is it possible?   Homemade airsoft guns- is it possible? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 2:22 am

Then that raises another question. Would it cost more, less or the same?
Back to top Go down
Spl. Durkee
General Grade 2
Spl. Durkee

PostSubject: Re: Homemade airsoft guns- is it possible?   Homemade airsoft guns- is it possible? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 2:27 am

Accordion man wrote:
Then that raises another question. Would it cost more, less or the same?
Really depends on what you're doing. I would assume it would cost less...but probably not by much...and probably not worth the time/work.
A great person to talk to about this sort of thing is "Killbucket". He's a real cool guy...builds all kinds of crazy crap.
http://www.airsoftallies.com/profile.forum?mode=viewprofile&u=644

He is my hero.
Back to top Go down
slob212
slob212

PostSubject: Re: Homemade airsoft guns- is it possible?   Homemade airsoft guns- is it possible? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 8:45 am

Homemade Airsoft is not only possible, but some have created buisnesses from it.

Thanks Killbucket ( Pssst a member here ).

Twin Hunter ( all Handmade )

Just a couple of examples.

Think of the Gun as the carring case for the Gearbox and inner barrel, once you have designed a locking assemble for the GB and Inner Barrel, the rest is all cosmetics.
Back to top Go down
Spl. Durkee
General Grade 2
Spl. Durkee

PostSubject: Re: Homemade airsoft guns- is it possible?   Homemade airsoft guns- is it possible? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 5:42 pm

Ah, must've misunderstood your question.

When I said "I've yet to hear of anyone building from scratch.", I meant using self-built internals and all.

KB and TH use off-the-shelf internal parts...just with custom bodies and extras.
So they really aren't built from scratch, per say.

Anyway...
Very Happy

The example you posted, using a springer M4 body and just putting in AEG parts...don't know how practical that is.
With a springer you are generally getting lower quality materials...and unless the body was something really interesting/cool, you might as well just get a body/stock kit from a retailer.
Back to top Go down
slob212
slob212

PostSubject: Re: Homemade airsoft guns- is it possible?   Homemade airsoft guns- is it possible? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 6:14 pm

@Spl Durkee,

But that is exactly how the best new innovations come about, take what is available, build on it or improve on it, and if I remember correctly, for KB´s M134 he actualy developed an entirely new feeding system using Drill Parts, comparable to that used in his .50 Cal M2.

The Twin Hunter system actualy shows the Batter Output per Barrel, Power Drain, Yes it is nothing more than 2 V3 gearboxes placed side by side, but being able to combine all the information, magazine, and feeding system into 1 Gun, not bad for a gun built from the ground up.

BTT,

Building a gun from the ground up will cost a small fortune if you are going to re-invent the GB, Gears, Hop-Up, and this even before we get to the Body.
Back to top Go down
Accordion man
Corporal
Corporal
Accordion man

PostSubject: Re: Homemade airsoft guns- is it possible?   Homemade airsoft guns- is it possible? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 8:51 pm

this got me thinking... maybe I could start with building spring guns, like sniper rifles, then eventually move to electric then maybe, MAYBE even gas... of course gas would be extremely difficult since I would have to make the gun extremely air tight so the gas couldn't leek out...
but maybe...maybe...

Heck I did want to try sniping.

I'm going to look on some store real quick...
Back to top Go down
Accordion man
Corporal
Corporal
Accordion man

PostSubject: Re: Homemade airsoft guns- is it possible?   Homemade airsoft guns- is it possible? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 9:23 pm

spring guns do also use gearboxes right?
if they do i can't seem to find them anywhere... (I've tried looking for them before)

(I'm sort of a noob so I just need help on this one)
Back to top Go down
Insane Mercc
Colonel
Colonel
Insane Mercc

PostSubject: Re: Homemade airsoft guns- is it possible?   Homemade airsoft guns- is it possible? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 9:32 pm

No they don't.....At all..a gear box is a set of gears that pull back a spring then it is released shooting the BB out the barrel.
Back to top Go down
DrummerBoyz95
General Grade 2
DrummerBoyz95

PostSubject: Re: Homemade airsoft guns- is it possible?   Homemade airsoft guns- is it possible? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 10:01 pm

On spring guns, the spring is pulled back when you cock it. When you pull the trigger it basically just releases the spring, which pushes air out and makes the BB go flying.

That's the most basic explanation, there's other parts that go into it.
Back to top Go down
Accordion man
Corporal
Corporal
Accordion man

PostSubject: Re: Homemade airsoft guns- is it possible?   Homemade airsoft guns- is it possible? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 2:24 pm

ah, good because if there were any gearboxes I would be in trouble...
once again sorry for the noob question...
Back to top Go down
Creed769
Colonel
Colonel
Creed769

PostSubject: Re: Homemade airsoft guns- is it possible?   Homemade airsoft guns- is it possible? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 2:46 pm

I tell this to everyone with these "overcomplicated" questions;
You're a beginner, by a gun, play airsoft, then start the crazy time wasting (in my opinion) stuff.
Even if it's cool, just play the game, don't be a chairsofter, buy a gun, go play, then if you're really into it, have the brains the money and the time, to whatever the "Watch your language" you wawnt
Back to top Go down
http://thetruthaboutairsoft.blogspot.com/
NoNeed2Hate
General
General
NoNeed2Hate

PostSubject: Re: Homemade airsoft guns- is it possible?   Homemade airsoft guns- is it possible? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 7:04 pm

i agree with creed. also you get to know a lot more about airsoft guns as you play with them than sitting at home experimenting hoping something works. i used to know nothing about my airsoft guns. but then technical problems would come up i would ask people what to do they would help me. and thus i learned to be a little technical. you can't just expect to make a wicked sick noob pwning airsoft gun off the bat with no knowledge at all of how any of the gun types work (spring, electric, gas) im not trying to be a douche. i am just being critically honest.
Back to top Go down
Accordion man
Corporal
Corporal
Accordion man

PostSubject: Re: Homemade airsoft guns- is it possible?   Homemade airsoft guns- is it possible? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 12:07 am

Quote :
you can't just expect to make a wicked sick noob pwning airsoft gun off the bat with no knowledge at all of how any of the gun types work

I wasn't I was planning on getting to know guns first ( as creed said) I was planning on getting a JG BAR 10 which has excellent upgrade ability, which means I could learn from that. Then comes experience which I will have with time. As for money I can work and buy it a couple parts at a time. as for time, I have quite an excess of it.

(By the way what does "Chairsofter" mean?
Back to top Go down
Insane Mercc
Colonel
Colonel
Insane Mercc

PostSubject: Re: Homemade airsoft guns- is it possible?   Homemade airsoft guns- is it possible? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 12:12 am

But you can't be guarnteed to get experiance from buying upgrades for guns and installing them...you will have to do many other things to understand how things work on airsoft guns in general.

A chairsofter is someone who sits in a chair and thinks he knows everything about airsoft and doesnt play it hardly.
Back to top Go down
Accordion man
Corporal
Corporal
Accordion man

PostSubject: Re: Homemade airsoft guns- is it possible?   Homemade airsoft guns- is it possible? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 12:41 am

I try to play airsoft as much as possible. Which is rarely, but I use my guns a really lot.
Back to top Go down
DrummerBoyz95
General Grade 2
DrummerBoyz95

PostSubject: Re: Homemade airsoft guns- is it possible?   Homemade airsoft guns- is it possible? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 1:10 am

Yeah I know what you mean. I SHOULD be playing in an event this weekend but I have to go up north all weekend Evil or Very Mad. I haven't played in so painfully long Sad

Anyway... Carry on
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Homemade airsoft guns- is it possible?   Homemade airsoft guns- is it possible? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Homemade airsoft guns- is it possible?
Page 1 of 1