Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inThe Airsoft Sniper

Military Trivia, Anyone ??

Go down 
+12
p51dmustang
kkoerber
djstasevich
ncis
Insane Mercc
TheOneNamedMike
Jarhead999 76 65
Tank
AFU
white wolf
sticks.13
slob212
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
slob212
slob212

Military Trivia, Anyone ?? Empty
PostSubject: Military Trivia, Anyone ??   Military Trivia, Anyone ?? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 12:22 pm

Since I´m a Fan of Military Trivia, thought it might be fun to start a thread on it.
Please make sure if you Post, that the trivia is true, I´m sure more than One member will be double checking Laughing especially if it´s outrageous Wink ,
Example,

The Term `` SNIPER´´ comes from the times of the Polynesian Archers, When the enemy was out of Eye sight the archers would over elevate their bows getting a downward trajectory with their arrows. After the battle the Archers would move forward to collect their Arrows and due to the added energy of the arrows coming down, `` SNIPS ´´ of clothing would be found on their arrowheads.

When in truth the Term `` SNIPER ´´ comes from the field of Bird Hunting, to be specific the bird `` SNIPE´´. The Snipe is incredibly hard to locate because of its natural camouflage, and it is not uncommon for the bird to let Hunters pass it by and later make its escape, the term goes all the way back to the 18th century.

1. The only Army in the world that has never lost a Flag, Guidon, or banner is the Bulgarian Army ,even tho the participated in every major war in Europe since the end of the 19th Century.
2. The first American Soldier to die in WWII was killed by a British Soldier, not to be out done, the first German was killed by a Japanese Soldier, Both deaths happened during training exercises preparing to fight the enemy.
3. At the time of Pearl Harbor the Naval High Command was called CINCUS ( pronounced Sink Us ), the shoulder patch of the 45th Infantry Div. ( US ) was a Swastika, and Hitlers Train was called `` Amerika´´.
4. More Airman Died during all of WWII than Marines. The Death Rate for Airman was over 71%.
5. When allied Armies first reached the Rhine River, the first thing they did was Pee in it.
6. The German Air Force had 22 infantry divisions, 2 armor divisions, and 11 paratroop divisions. None of them were capable of airborne operations. The German Army had paratroops who WERE capable of airborne operations.
7. During the Japanese attack on Hong Kong, British officers objected to Canadian infantrymen taking up positions in the officer’s mess. No enlisted men allowed!
8. Among the first “Germans” captured at Normandy were several Koreans. They had been forced to fight for the Japanese Army until they were captured by the Russians and forced to fight for the Russian Army until they were captured by the Germans and forced to fight for the German Army until they were capture by the US Army.
9. Most members of the Waffen SS were not German. They were Poles.
10. One of Japan’s methods of destroying tanks was to bury a very large artillery shell with only the nose exposed. When a tank came near the enough a soldier would whack the shell with a hammer. “Lack of weapons is no excuse for defeat.” – Lt. Gen. Mataguchi
11. The only nation that Germany declared was on was the USA.
12. At the start of WWII the US Army had more ships that the US Navy.
13. German Me-264 bombers were capable of bombing New York City but it wasn’t worth the effort.
14. The Russians destroyed over 500 German aircraft by ramming them in midair (they also sometimes cleared minefields by marching over them). “It takes a brave man not to be a hero in the Red Army”. Joseph Stalin
15. Following a massive naval bombardment, 35,000 US and Canadian troops stormed ashore at Kiska. 21 troops were killed in the fire-fight. It would have been worse if there had been Japanese on the island.

Alright guys and gal, post away !!!!
Back to top Go down
sticks.13

PostSubject: Re: Military Trivia, Anyone ??   Military Trivia, Anyone ?? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 4:52 pm

slob212 wrote:

1. The only Army in the world that has never lost a Flag, Guidon, or banner is the Bulgarian Army ,even tho the participated in every major war in Europe since the end of the 19th Century.

-True, as I cannot think of a time where they would have lost a unit marker.

2. The first American Soldier to die in WWII was killed by a British Soldier, not to be out done, the first German was killed by a Japanese Soldier, Both deaths happened during training exercises preparing to fight the enemy.

-false, unless you do not count the American aviators who flew for the french...

3. At the time of Pearl Harbor the Naval High Command was called CINCUS ( pronounced Sink Us ), the shoulder patch of the 45th Infantry Div. ( US ) was a Swastika, and Hitlers Train was called `` Amerika´´.

-false, I don't believe commands were given acronyms till after the second world war, Hitlers train didnt have a name(but he did have a mine called Amerika that was in prussia I believe).

4. More Airman Died during all of WWII than Marines. The Death Rate for Airman was over 71%.

-false, this was true in WW1 though I believe.

5. When allied Armies first reached the Rhine River, the first thing they did was Pee in it.

-false, although funny I think they were more worried about getting across the bridge.

6. The German Air Force had 22 infantry divisions, 2 armor divisions, and 11 paratroop divisions. None of them were capable of airborne operations. The German Army had paratroops who WERE capable of airborne operations.

-True, the only german capable unit of the war was the Fallschirmjäger

7. During the Japanese attack on Hong Kong, British officers objected to Canadian infantrymen taking up positions in the officer’s mess. No enlisted men allowed!

-not sure, I would beleive it!!!!

8. Among the first “Germans” captured at Normandy were several Koreans. They had been forced to fight for the Japanese Army until they were captured by the Russians and forced to fight for the Russian Army until they were captured by the Germans and forced to fight for the German Army until they were capture by the US Army.

-false, never heard of it.... Although some Koreans did fight for the Japanese

9. Most members of the Waffen SS were not German. They were Poles.

-false, Poles were technically on the other side.....

10. One of Japan’s methods of destroying tanks was to bury a very large artillery shell with only the nose exposed. When a tank came near the enough a soldier would whack the shell with a hammer. “Lack of weapons is no excuse for defeat.” – Lt. Gen. Mataguchi

-True, but then again I could be getting vietnam mixed with WW2....

11. The only nation that Germany declared was on was the USA.

False, they invaded Russia too!

12. At the start of WWII the US Army had more ships that the US Navy.

-True, I guess...

13. German Me-264 bombers were capable of bombing New York City but it wasn’t worth the effort.

False, I don't think there was a Me 264......

14. The Russians destroyed over 500 German aircraft by ramming them in midair (they also sometimes cleared minefields by marching over them). “It takes a brave man not to be a hero in the Red Army”. Joseph Stalin

maybe? I would believe it....

15. Following a massive naval bombardment, 35,000 US and Canadian troops stormed ashore at Kiska. 21 troops were killed in the fire-fight. It would have been worse if there had been Japanese on the island.

False, I just can't beleive this one(or can I?)....

Alright guys and gal, post away !!!!

I think I did really bad, see quoted post for my replies. I never really studied WW2 as much as I would have liked too!

sticks
Back to top Go down
slob212
slob212

PostSubject: Re: Military Trivia, Anyone ??   Military Trivia, Anyone ?? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 7:07 pm

Quote :

-false, unless you do not count the American aviators who flew for the french...
Soldier not Airman,
American was killed by a Russian ( my Mistake, Sorry ) Finnland 1940
German was killed in China 1937
Quote :
At the time of Pearl Harbor the Naval High Command was called CINCUS ( pronounced Sink Us ), the shoulder patch of the 45th Infantry Div. ( US ) was a Swastika, and Hitlers Train was called `` Amerika´´.

-false, I don't believe commands were given acronyms till after the second world war, Hitlers train didnt have a name(but he did have a mine called Amerika that was in prussia I believe).

CINCUS goes back as far as 1925 ( Commanider In Chief US fleet )
CINCLANT, 1914 Commander In Chief US Atlantic Fleet
AMERIKA http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F%C3%BChrer_Headquarters National Geographic did a special on this train not to long ago.

Quote :
Most members of the Waffen SS were not German. They were Poles.

-false, Poles were technically on the other side.....

Although at first membership in the Waffen-SS was open to "Aryans" only in accord with the racial policies of the Nazi state, in 1940 Hitler authorized the formation of Waffen-SS units composed largly or solely of foreign volunteers and conscripts, and by the end of the war ethnic non-Germans made up approximately 60% of the Waffen-SS.

Quote :
The only nation that Germany declared was on was the USA.

False, they invaded Russia too!
Correct they invaded Russia, but never declared War with Russia, the same goes for all the other countries that they marched into, except that they had Non Aggression Treaties with those countries. The German government used thos treaties to their advantage, Just walked in and took over. The only Country that Germany Declared WAR on during WWII was America.

Quote :
German Me-264 bombers were capable of bombing New York City but it wasn’t worth the effort.

False, I don't think there was a Me 264......

Military Trivia, Anyone ?? Me264_V1_01
ME 264

Quote :
Among the first “Germans” captured at Normandy were several Koreans. They had been forced to fight for the Japanese Army until they were captured by the Russians and forced to fight for the Russian Army until they were captured by the Germans and forced to fight for the German Army until they were capture by the US Army.

-false, never heard of it.... Although some Koreans did fight for the Japanese

Just because you never heard of it doesn´t make it not true, lol
Military Trivia, Anyone ?? Japaneseddaywa5

The name of the soldier in this photo is Kyoungjong Yang who was born in Shin Euijoo, Northwestern Korea on March 3, 1920. He was conscripted to the Kwantung army in 1938 and captured by the Soviets in Nomonhan and captured again by Germans in Ukraine in the summer of 1943, maybe in the battle of Kharkov, and captured finally by Americans in Utah beach, Normandy on June 6, 1944.
They are actualy making a movie about this porr guy, or lucky depending on how you look at it.

Quote :
More Airman Died during all of WWII than Marines. The Death Rate for Airman was over 71%.

-false, this was true in WW1 though I believe.
Total Number of Airman Killed In WWII was 88,119
Total Marines was 24,511
don't forget this number includes all Bomber crews that were required to fly 300 Missions.
Back to top Go down
white wolf
General
General
white wolf

PostSubject: Re: Military Trivia, Anyone ??   Military Trivia, Anyone ?? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 6:01 pm

tiger force pointman Sam Yabarra collected ears off of dead vietnamese
he also turned them into necklaces
He cut the head off a (true 100% by investigation of US army) baby
Back to top Go down
slob212
slob212

PostSubject: Re: Military Trivia, Anyone ??   Military Trivia, Anyone ?? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 4:02 am

It was common practice for the Tiger Force members to do that with the Ears, he wasn´t the only one.
It wouldn´t surprise me about the heads either, Disgusting, Immoral, and just plain Sick, but it wouldn´t surprise me.

He was also Dishonorably Discharged for Insubordination and Drug Use and Abuse, after his discharge he lived with MaMa until he died in 1982.
Back to top Go down
white wolf
General
General
white wolf

PostSubject: Re: Military Trivia, Anyone ??   Military Trivia, Anyone ?? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 10:18 am

I read about that,
Apsey a investigator descovered the war crimes 5 or 10 (forgot) he finished the case and another decade later two writers for the Blade found the files and created a newspaper collom and 2 books

and he was the only beheader of the group
Back to top Go down
slob212
slob212

PostSubject: Re: Military Trivia, Anyone ??   Military Trivia, Anyone ?? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 5:06 pm

Whether he Beheaded or not has never been proven, and from the 10 cases of war crimes there where only 7 that the investigators could gather enough evidence on to attempt prosecution, but being that all the Living Members were discharged, they could not be forced to provide statements or evidence.
Back to top Go down
white wolf
General
General
white wolf

PostSubject: Re: Military Trivia, Anyone ??   Military Trivia, Anyone ?? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 5:51 pm

a medic from the platoon I think Causey saw Yabarra decapitate the child.
though all of the members had also as soon as they heard of the investigation left the military
Back to top Go down
slob212
slob212

PostSubject: Re: Military Trivia, Anyone ??   Military Trivia, Anyone ?? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 4:49 am

@ White Wolf.
The investigation into the Crimes was started well after all parties involved were either dead of no longer on active duty, that is exactly the reason why it was so difficult to bring any Charges against the persons involved.

A little Military Judicial Trivia, that your recruiter won´t tell you when you enlist.

By joining the Military you Surrender Different Rights that you have as a Civilian,

The Right to Remain Silent,
The right not to offer information that may be Self Incriminating,
The right to Freedom of Speech, Some comments can and will be prosecuted as violations of the UCMJ under Deportment ( Disrespect ),
The right to have a lawyer present during Questioning, Investigating Authorities can Question you alone, your Lawyer will receive a Transcript of the questioning.
The right not to be tried twice for the same crime, if new evidence is brought forward after a conviction, that will increase the punishment, you can be retried for the same offense, if the crime is committed outside of a military installation, you can and will be tried by the civilian authorities, and now for the real kicker, if you commit a crime outside of a military installation, while serving in a Foreign country, you can be Prosecuted by the Military, Local Civilian authorities, and by the Host Nations Government.

Just to name a Few.
Back to top Go down
slob212
slob212

PostSubject: Re: Military Trivia, Anyone ??   Military Trivia, Anyone ?? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 5:07 am

So how about some Civil War Trivia,

1, The most Feared ship during the War was the Confederate CSS Alabama, tho she was built by the British in Liverpool England she never once made port in a Confederate state, during her first 2 weeks of survice she focused all her attention on the Union whaling fleet, sinking 10 Whaling ships and Capturing an additional 12, almost single handedly crippling the Union Whaling industry. Later her reputation was so Fierce that no Union ship would sail from Port if it was reported that the `` Terror of the Sea ´´ was operating in the Area.

2, The only `` Official ´´ Female, Congressional Medal of Honor recipient comes from the Civil War, Dr. Mary Edwards Walker.

3, The youngest person ever to receive the Medal of Honor was probably William "Willie" Johnston, who earned the Medal during the Civil War just prior to his 12th birthday and received his award 6 weeks after his 13th.

4, General Stonewall Jackson walked around with his right hand in the air to balance the blood flow in his body? Because he was right-handed, he thought that his right hand was getting more blood than his left, and so by raising his hand, he'd allow the excess blood to run into his left hand. He also never ate food that tasted good, because he assumed that anything that tasted good was completely unhealthy.

5, Centuries before and decades after the Civil War, including the war itself, doorways were wide, not because of the width of women's skirts, but so coffins could be passed through, with a pallbearer on either side?

6, During the Battle of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, the only civilian to die was twenty-year-old Mary Virginia "Jennie" Wade, who was shot through the heart while making bread? What a way to go.

7, After the Battle of Gettysburg. the discarded rifles were collected and sent to Washington to be inspected and reissued? Of the 37,574 rifles recovered, 24,000were still loaded; 6,000 had one round in the barrel; 12,000 had two rounds in the barrel; 6,000 had three to ten rounds in the barrel. One rifle, the most remarkable of all, had been stuffed to the top
with twenty-three rounds in the barrel. Apparently Adrenaline and Fear make you loose count.

8, During the Civil War, muzzleloading rifles were preferred over the faster firing breach loaders? The breach-loading rifle was invented in 1803 and had been issued by the army in 1825. They were discontinued and all government research stopped in 1840, however, because it was thought that the soldiers would waste ammunition.

9, If a statue in the park of a person on a horse has both front legs in the air, the person died in battle; if the horse has one front leg in the air, the person died as a result of wounds received in battle; if the horse has all four legs on the ground, the person died of natural causes.

10, Even in the midst of the Civil War, there was one thing the North and South shared: an addiction to caffeine. In that respect, the Union had an advantage. Not only did the North have over 2/3 of the population and control most of the heavy industry in the country, it hoarded supplies of the addictive little bean, leaving the Confederacy to wage its own war against java deprivation. Union troops loved their coffee because it was the best thing on the menu: Union supply chains were riddled with corrupt food contractors, but coffee was fresh because it was delivered in whole-bean form - making it difficult for even the most dishonest supplier to skimp on quality.

11, General "Stonewall" Jackson died during the Battle of Chancellorsville in 1863. He was shot by his own men, who thought he was the enemy.
Back to top Go down
AFU
AFU

PostSubject: Re: Military Trivia, Anyone ??   Military Trivia, Anyone ?? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 5:27 am

slob212 wrote:
11, General "Stonewall" Jackson died during the Battle of Chancellorsville in 1863. He was shot by his own men, who thought he was the enemy.

Actually after amputating Jackson's left arm, he was on the path to recover. He not only would have survived, but most likely could continue leading his men. He developed ammonia while in recover and died of that.

More American's died in Gettysburg than WWI and WWII combined (as well as other wars, including the revolution).
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Salkand
white wolf
General
General
white wolf

PostSubject: Re: Military Trivia, Anyone ??   Military Trivia, Anyone ?? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 8:51 am

the confederate states had plans for a rocket attack on the union
Back to top Go down
slob212
slob212

PostSubject: Re: Military Trivia, Anyone ??   Military Trivia, Anyone ?? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 11:02 am

Quote :
More Americans died in Gettysburg than WWI and WWII combined (as well as other wars, including the revolution).

Find that hard to believe , the combined total for total loss of life was a little over 55,000 for the 3 days of Fighting.

In WWII The U.S. lost, ( Strictly to Battle, not due to Complications from wounds, Technical Accidents, or just Plain Accidents )

Army 291,557 ( Includes Army Air Corp )
Navy 36,950
Marines 19,733

Total Deaths for U.S. Military,
Army 318,724
Navy 62,614
Marines 24, 511

What may make your statement True, and it is, More Americans died in the Civil War, than in all other wars that the US was in Combined.

Since the Confederates were not that great at keeping records of losses, a conservative estimate puts the total number of American lives lost in the Civil War at 2,5 Million.

It only makes sense, Americans killing Americans in America.

Quote :
Actually after amputating Jackson's left arm, he was on the path to recover. He not only would have survived, but most likely could continue leading his men. He developed ammonia while in recover and died of that.

Then to make it true, it should be written like so,

Stonewall Jackson, after being mistaken for the enemy and being shot by his own soldiers, later developed Pneumonia and died, due to complications of having his arm amputated.
Back to top Go down
Tank
Major
Major
Tank

PostSubject: Re: Military Trivia, Anyone ??   Military Trivia, Anyone ?? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 8:19 pm

Well in other more 21st century terms "OWNED!"
Back to top Go down
white wolf
General
General
white wolf

PostSubject: Re: Military Trivia, Anyone ??   Military Trivia, Anyone ?? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 9:03 pm

the AMERIKA was protected by a special team for just the train
Back to top Go down
Tank
Major
Major
Tank

PostSubject: Re: Military Trivia, Anyone ??   Military Trivia, Anyone ?? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 9:05 pm

Awesome
Back to top Go down
white wolf
General
General
white wolf

PostSubject: Re: Military Trivia, Anyone ??   Military Trivia, Anyone ?? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 9:13 pm

THEY WERE DELTA FORCE TOUGH
Back to top Go down
Tank
Major
Major
Tank

PostSubject: Re: Military Trivia, Anyone ??   Military Trivia, Anyone ?? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 9:16 pm

ahh Delta!
Back to top Go down
slob212
slob212

PostSubject: Re: Military Trivia, Anyone ??   Military Trivia, Anyone ?? Icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2009 1:55 pm

Well it has been awhile sooooo,
Some Trivia,
A question,
and some Humor,

The U.S Military once had a `` Camel ´´ Corps.

The Russians during WW II, used dogs as mobile Anti-Tank Mines.

Bolivia, a Land Locked nation, actually has a Navy.

The 100 year War, is a Lie, it was actually 116 Years long.

Bob Hope, is a Veteran, tho he never served a Day in the Military.

Japanese Soldiers were still fighting the Second World War as late as 1974.

During the Invasion of Africa, among the list of Essential Military equipment offloaded was, 3 Coca Cola production Factory.
CoCa Cola was the Official Drink of the Allied Forces.
Fanta was the Official Drink of the Nazi Party.

A "siesta" ordered by Mexican General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna to his troops during a conflict between the Mexicans and Texans caused the infantry to be overtaken in just 18 minutes.

Fort Douaumont at Verdun in France was captured in 1916 by a single German soldier after French General Chretien forgot to pass on orders to defend the fort to the last man to his successor.

The shortest war in history was that between Britain and Zanzibar in 1896. It was all over in 38 minutes when Zanzibar’s only warship, the ageing Glasgow, was sunk by two shells.

Chrysler built B-29's that bombed Japan. Mitsubishi built the Zeros that tried to shoot them down. Both companies now build cars in a joint plant call Diamond Star.

During World War II, W.C. Fields kept US $50,000 in Germany 'in case the little bastard wins'.

Robert E. Lee, of the Confederate Army, remains the only person, to date, to have graduated from the West Point military academy without a single demerit.

The car manufacturer Henry Ford was awarded Hitler's Supreme Order of the German Eagle.

The launching mechanism of a carrier ship that helps planes to take off could throw a pickup truck over a mile.

The United States government keeps its supply of silver at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, NY.

Woodward Avenue in Detroit, Michigan carries the designation M-1, named so because it was the first paved road anywhere.

Why is it that a Lt.General, outranks a MAJ. General ??

Rank Has Its Limitations

General:
Leaps over tall buildings in a single bound, is more powerful than a locomotive, is faster than a speeding bullet, walks on water, and gives policy to Don't use the Lord's name in vain..

Colonel:
Leaps over short buildings in a single bound, is more powerful than a switch engine, is just as fast as a speeding bullet, walks on water if sea is calm, and talks to Don't use the Lord's name in vain..

Lieutenant Colonel:
Leaps over short buildings with a running start and a favorable wind, is almost as powerful as a switch engine, is as fast as a speeding b-b, walks on water in an indoor pool, and talks to Don't use the Lord's name in vain. if special request is approved.

Major:
Barely clears Quonset huts, loses tug-of-war with locomotives, can fire a speeding bullet, swims well, and is occasionally addressed by Don't use the Lord's name in vain..

Captain:
Makes high marks when trying to leap buildings, is run over by locomotives, can sometimes handle a weapon without inflicting self-injury, can doggie-paddle, and talks to animals.

First Lieutenant:
Runs into buildings, recognizes locomotives two out of three times, is not issued ammunition, can stay afloat if properly instructed, and talks to water.

Second Lieutenant:
Falls over door sills when trying to enter buildings, says "look at the choo-choo," wets himself with a water pistol, and mumbles to himself.

An NCO:
Lifts building and then walks under them, kicks locomotives off the track, catches speeding bullets in his teeth (and chews them), and freezes water in a speeding glance. He IS Don't use the Lord's name in vain..
Back to top Go down
Jarhead999 76 65
General Grade 2
Jarhead999 76 65

Location : Rio Rancho/NW Albuquerque, New Mexico, Socialist States of Obama

PostSubject: Re: Military Trivia, Anyone ??   Military Trivia, Anyone ?? Icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2009 12:11 am

when Barrett Arms designed the M82 Barrett Light .50 Anti-materiel rifle, it was outfitted with the Unertl 10x rifle scope. the rifle, which is designed to be accurate up to 2000 yards, is actually only accurate up to 1800 yards, when used by the average Marine marksman. now you get to explain why.

Last edited by Jarhead999 76 65 on Mon May 25, 2009 4:34 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://cqbtacticalairsoft.webs.com/
TheOneNamedMike
Colonel
Colonel

PostSubject: Re: Military Trivia, Anyone ??   Military Trivia, Anyone ?? Icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2009 12:13 am

Quote :

I'm sad.
Back to top Go down
sticks.13

PostSubject: Re: Military Trivia, Anyone ??   Military Trivia, Anyone ?? Icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2009 3:14 pm

slob212 wrote:
Well it has been awhile sooooo,
Some Trivia,
A question,
and some Humor,

The U.S Military once had a `` Camel ´´ Corps.

-Yes, WW1 aviators I guess....

-Yes, Russians experimented with this, but more often than not the dogs would run back to their owners in fear of the loud noises!

Bolivia, a Land Locked nation, actually has a Navy.

-yes? rivers and lakes I guess....

The 100 year War, is a Lie, it was actually 116 Years long.

-yes....

Bob Hope, is a Veteran, tho he never served a Day in the Military.

-false, I think he served a tour during WW2

Japanese Soldiers were still fighting the Second World War as late as 1974.

-false.... too unbelievable...

During the Invasion of Africa, among the list of Essential Military equipment offloaded was, 3 Coca Cola production Factory.
CoCa Cola was the Official Drink of the Allied Forces.
Fanta was the Official Drink of the Nazi Party.

-true for teh lulz

A "siesta" ordered by Mexican General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna to his troops during a conflict between the Mexicans and Texans caused the infantry to be overtaken in just 18 minutes.

-true, cause texans are crazier than Russians Very Happy

Fort Douaumont at Verdun in France was captured in 1916 by a single German soldier after French General Chretien forgot to pass on orders to defend the fort to the last man to his successor.

-True

The shortest war in history was that between Britain and Zanzibar in 1896. It was all over in 38 minutes when Zanzibar’s only warship, the ageing Glasgow, was sunk by two shells.

-true

Chrysler built B-29's that bombed Japan. Mitsubishi built the Zeros that tried to shoot them down. Both companies now build cars in a joint plant call Diamond Star.

-true, I have heard of Dimond star somewhere, don't know if its a car plant though

During World War II, W.C. Fields kept US $50,000 in Germany 'in case the little bastard wins'.

-true, he was probably a texan Very Happy

Robert E. Lee, of the Confederate Army, remains the only person, to date, to have graduated from the West Point military academy without a single demerit.

-True, unless you count the whole "siding with the enemy" as a post grad demerit Laughing

The car manufacturer Henry Ford was awarded Hitler's Supreme Order of the German Eagle.

-false? wasn't ford dead by then?

The launching mechanism of a carrier ship that helps planes to take off could throw a pickup truck over a mile.

-false, I just can't believe it....

The United States government keeps its supply of silver at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, NY.

-flase, I think all our precious metals are stored at Benning/ft Knox

Woodward Avenue in Detroit, Michigan carries the designation M-1, named so because it was the first paved road anywhere.

-true, roads were bricked but not paved until W ave....

Why is it that a Lt.General, outranks a MAJ. General ??

-because.... the Navy messed with the Army's head way far back?

Rank Has Its Limitations

General:
Leaps over tall buildings in a single bound, is more powerful than a locomotive, is faster than a speeding bullet, walks on water, and gives policy to Don't use the Lord's name in vain..

Colonel:
Leaps over short buildings in a single bound, is more powerful than a switch engine, is just as fast as a speeding bullet, walks on water if sea is calm, and talks to Don't use the Lord's name in vain..

Lieutenant Colonel:
Leaps over short buildings with a running start and a favorable wind, is almost as powerful as a switch engine, is as fast as a speeding b-b, walks on water in an indoor pool, and talks to Don't use the Lord's name in vain. if special request is approved.

Major:
Barely clears Quonset huts, loses tug-of-war with locomotives, can fire a speeding bullet, swims well, and is occasionally addressed by Don't use the Lord's name in vain..

Captain:
Makes high marks when trying to leap buildings, is run over by locomotives, can sometimes handle a weapon without inflicting self-injury, can doggie-paddle, and talks to animals.

First Lieutenant:
Runs into buildings, recognizes locomotives two out of three times, is not issued ammunition, can stay afloat if properly instructed, and talks to water.

Second Lieutenant:
Falls over door sills when trying to enter buildings, says "look at the choo-choo," wets himself with a water pistol, and mumbles to himself.

An NCO:
Lifts building and then walks under them, kicks locomotives off the track, catches speeding bullets in his teeth (and chews them), and freezes water in a speeding glance. He IS Don't use the Lord's name in vain..

-TRUE, BY FAR THE TRUEST THING EVER!

Answered in quote....

Jarhead- USMC snipers don't have the same skill as Army snipers Very Happy. on a more serious note, its because the "Watch your language" Lower Receiver is so light. Basically its just the trigger mechanism whereas the upper has a 20lb barrel/action....

sticks
Back to top Go down
Jarhead999 76 65
General Grade 2
Jarhead999 76 65

Location : Rio Rancho/NW Albuquerque, New Mexico, Socialist States of Obama

PostSubject: Re: Military Trivia, Anyone ??   Military Trivia, Anyone ?? Icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2009 6:23 pm

slob212 wrote:

have to disagree with ya, sticks. i think that's true.
Back to top Go down
http://cqbtacticalairsoft.webs.com/
slob212
slob212

PostSubject: Re: Military Trivia, Anyone ??   Military Trivia, Anyone ?? Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 7:00 am

They are all True,
some times Fact is really stranger than Fiction.

Camel Corps,
The U.S. Camel Corps was a mid-nineteenth century experiment by the United States Army in using camels as pack animals in the Southwest United States.

While the camels proved to be well-suited to travel through the region, their unpleasant disposition and habit of frightening horses is believed to be responsible for their failure to be adopted as a mode of transportation in the United States.

Anti-Tank Dog Mines
Anti-tank dogs, or Hundeminen as they were known by the Germans, were dogs taught to carry explosives under tanks and armoured vehicles where they would detonate and inflict the most damage upon the vehicle, killing the dog in the process.

The most concerted effort to use dogs as anti-tank weapons came during World War II when the Soviet Union used them against German tanks. When training the dogs, the Soviets kept them hungry in order to teach them to find food beneath tanks. On the battlefield a dog was fitted with an explosives-packed box and then released before oncoming German tanks. When the dog dove under a tank, a wooden lever sticking up from the top of the box was tripped which detonated the charge. Because the chassis was the most vulnerable area of these vehicles, it was hoped the explosion would gut the vehicle.

Among the plan's failings was the Soviet use of their own diesel tanks to train the dogs rather than German tanks, which had petrol engines[1]. On the battlefield this resulted in the dogs tending to seek food under and thus destroying the Russian tanks with which they were familiar instead of the strange German tanks. This was not always an issue, however, as the dogs were sometimes spooked by the noise and vibration of the tank engines and fled the field immediately upon release[2].

Despite these problems the anti-tank dogs were said to have been successful at the Battle of Kursk, the Soviets claiming 12 German tanks destroyed by 16 dogs[3]. As such the Germans were compelled to take measures against them. An armored vehicle's top-mounted machine gun proved ineffective due to the relatively small size of the attackers, the fact that they were low to the ground, their speed and the difficulty in spotting them. Consequently orders were dispatched that commanded every German soldier to shoot any dogs seen on sight as they might be rabid[4].

Bolivian NavyThe Bolivian Naval Force (Fuerza Naval Boliviana in Spanish), formerly Bolivian Navy (Armada Boliviana) is a naval force about 5,000 strong in 2008. [1] Although Bolivia has been landlocked since the War of the Pacific in 1879, Bolivia established a River and Lake Force (Fuerza Fluvial y Lacustre) in January 1963 under the Ministry of National Defense. It consisted of four boats supplied from the United States and 1,800 personnel recruited largely from the army. Bolivia's naval force was renamed the Bolivian Naval Force (Fuerza Naval Boliviana) in January 1966, but it also has been called the Bolivian Navy (Armada Boliviana). It became a separate branch of the armed forces in 1963. Bolivia has large rivers that are tributaries to the Amazon which are patrolled to prevent smuggling and drug trafficking. There is also a Bolivian Naval presence on Lake Titicaca, the highest navigable lake in the world, across which runs the Peruvian frontier.

Landlocked Bolivia has never become reconciled with its loss to Chile of its coast, and the Navy exists to keep the hope of recovering its coast alive by cultivating a maritime consciousness. The Bolivian Navy takes part in many parades and government functions, but none more so than the Dia Del Mar (Day of the Sea) in which Bolivia, each year, asks for the coast taken from them by Chile in the War of the Pacific (fought between Peru and Bolivia against Chile), 1879 to 1884. This is still a sore point for Bolivia, influencing many modern day political actions and trade decisions

100 Years War
1337 to 1453

Veteran Bob Hope,

Bob Hope was man an Honorary Veteran by an Act of Congress, to Honor the Man and all His efforts in supporting the U.S Forces deployed overseas in Hostile Action. Bob Hope actually accumulated more time in `` Combat Zones´´ and `` Operational Theaters of Hostile Action ´´ than most Soldiers. His carreeer in serving the Troops started in 1943 in Europe and after that never stopped, Wherever troops went, Hope went, including Korea, Vietnam, Lebanon and the Persian Gulf. His last performances for active-duty troops were Christmas shows in 1990 in Saudi Arabia and Bahrain during Operation Desert Shield.

Hope says his biggest honor was in 1997 when an act of Congress made him an honorary veteran. "I've been given many awards in my lifetime," he said, "but to be numbered among the men and women I admire most is the greatest honor I have ever received."

Japanese Holdouts,

Second Lieutenant Hiroo Onoda (小野田 寛郎 Onoda Hirō; born March 19, 1922) is a former Japanese army intelligence officer who fought in World War II, and did not surrender until 1974.

Military Trivia, Anyone ?? Onoda-young

He is considered to be the last `` Japanese Soldier´´ to surrender, tho 1 conscript did Surrender a few months later, it was never possible to verivy his nationality.

Henry Ford,
1863 - 1947

The Third Reich regime awarded Henry Ford the Verdienstkreutz Deutscher Adler (the Grand Service Cross of the Supreme Order of the German Eagle) on 30 July 1938, on Ford’s seventy-eighth birthday. This award was given to him by the German government in recognition of his pioneering work in the auto industry and in making the car available to the masses. Seeming oblivious to the fact that Hitler’s medal was one of an openly belligerent country that desired the conquest of a large part of Europe, the man who launched the “Peace Ship” twenty-three years earlier seemed pleased to receive it.

The reason a Lt General outranks a Major General,

Major General was oraginaly called Seargent Major General.
Back to top Go down
Insane Mercc
Colonel
Colonel
Insane Mercc

PostSubject: Re: Military Trivia, Anyone ??   Military Trivia, Anyone ?? Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 12:27 am

Jackson did lift his arms to balance the blood and he made a point of standing ramrod straight because he thought it would help a problem he had with his digestive tract.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Military Trivia, Anyone ??   Military Trivia, Anyone ?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Military Trivia, Anyone ??
Page 1 of 11Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next