Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inThe Airsoft Sniper

tips for preparing for the exams

Go down 
+3
Admin
Roamer
SniperL96
7 posters
AuthorMessage
SniperL96
Corporal
Corporal
SniperL96

tips for preparing for the exams Empty
PostSubject: tips for preparing for the exams   tips for preparing for the exams Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2008 7:55 pm

for thoses in jr.high or high school,what are some good tips for preparing for exams?
thanks

-
Back to top Go down
Roamer
Captain
Captain
Roamer

PostSubject: Re: tips for preparing for the exams   tips for preparing for the exams Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2008 10:42 pm

Oh exams, they suck for all ages. College finals suck big time to so I feel your pain.

Any particular subject or just exams in general. From a psychological view point it is always very important to elaborate on your material. If you read and read your notes over again it will help, but if you read your notes and try to expand on them through your own cognitions then you will remember the material drastically better and with a lot less studying.
Another thing that will really improve retrieval of any material you are trying to remember is to make the material personal. If you link a vocabulary term to your own personal experiences or make up a story with you in it for that matter you are going to be far more likely to retrieve it when you are taking the test.
Lastly there is a well known phenomenon known as encoding specificity. Encoding specificity says that retrieval of information will be at its best when the conditions found at the time of retrieval (when you are taking your exams) match the conditions in which you originally encoded (learned) the material. This may seem stupid at first, but it really does have a profound effect on recollection. This means keep everything you can the same between studying and exam taking. If you are in a good mood while studying then try to remain in a good mood while taking a test. Everything you keep the same will help. No kidding. A recent psychological study tested this with smells. People who smelled perfume while studying did significantly better when they were able to smell the same smell while taking the exam compared to those who did not have the smell at either situation.

I know it sounds silly, but these are professional peer reviewed modalities and have been experimentally demonstrated time and time again. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
http://theairsoftsniper.com
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: tips for preparing for the exams   tips for preparing for the exams Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2008 12:42 pm

My biggest piece of advice that Roamer hasn't already mentioned is get plenty of sleep every night, esp. the several nights before exams that students typically cram for their tests during. It's no use staying up late and getting little to no sleep if you're not going to retain any of the information anyway. Most of the info. we retain during the day is organized and stored in our brains starting around the 5 hour mark of sleep. So if you're not getting at least 7 hours of sleep each night, good look remembering all that material you spent all night memorizing!
Back to top Go down
http://www.theairsoftsniper.com
SniperL96
Corporal
Corporal
SniperL96

PostSubject: Re: tips for preparing for the exams   tips for preparing for the exams Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2008 5:12 pm

okay.now i don't do this but i have friends that do.is it a good idea to drink energy drinks before the test? i tell my friends that when u do that,u might be wide awake during the test,but i also tell them that u will carsh after the energy drink wears off. i know that personally myself. i have seen it happen at a test. so is it a good idea?
Back to top Go down
Roamer
Captain
Captain
Roamer

PostSubject: Re: tips for preparing for the exams   tips for preparing for the exams Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2008 6:52 pm

Another great tip: This is actually my best tip, so I don't know why I waited. It is also grounded in cognitive psychology too (I am sure you are all thrilled).
Put time between your study sessions. It is sooo much better to study 15 minutes a day rather than an hour a day. This also says that cramming for an exam is a horrible way to study. It is better than nothing, but you will do so much better if you put space between your study times.
Back to top Go down
kkoerber
Major
Major
kkoerber

PostSubject: Re: tips for preparing for the exams   tips for preparing for the exams Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2008 11:07 pm

i hate exams to. this week is exam week but no pressure because i am trying to thing positive on things. Very Happy biology is the worst for me.
Back to top Go down
Sniper004
Sergeant
Sergeant
Sniper004

PostSubject: Re: tips for preparing for the exams   tips for preparing for the exams Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2008 11:14 pm

im an A student i can fail my exams and pass, but i still freak out my worst class is geometry
Back to top Go down
Roamer
Captain
Captain
Roamer

PostSubject: Re: tips for preparing for the exams   tips for preparing for the exams Icon_minitimeThu May 29, 2008 10:07 am

geometry sucks. The AP calculus test got me out of all of my math courses required for a doctorates degree in college... and I still hated geometry. Freakin proofs!
Back to top Go down
SniperL96
Corporal
Corporal
SniperL96

PostSubject: Re: tips for preparing for the exams   tips for preparing for the exams Icon_minitimeThu May 29, 2008 6:12 pm

Roamer wrote:
The AP calculus test got me out of all of my math courses required for a doctorates degree in college.... Freakin proofs!

that really has to suck!!!!! Neutral what r u going to do now?
Back to top Go down
kkoerber
Major
Major
kkoerber

PostSubject: Re: tips for preparing for the exams   tips for preparing for the exams Icon_minitimeThu May 29, 2008 11:24 pm

i also hate proofs. they want me to look for one word in the whole geometry language.
Back to top Go down
Roamer
Captain
Captain
Roamer

PostSubject: Re: tips for preparing for the exams   tips for preparing for the exams Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2008 10:44 am

the AP calculus test was a very good thing sniperL96. B/c of that I don't have to take any math in college Smile
Back to top Go down
kkoerber
Major
Major
kkoerber

PostSubject: Re: tips for preparing for the exams   tips for preparing for the exams Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2008 12:01 pm

i am so happy because school is out for the summer.
Back to top Go down
Ace
Corporal
Corporal
Ace

PostSubject: Re: tips for preparing for the exams   tips for preparing for the exams Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2008 1:19 pm

I hear all of this talk of hating math....

So, if you are wanting to be an engineer, get ready for math. Idea I do it all day every single day.

The trade off is the paycheck in the end. bounce
Back to top Go down
SniperL96
Corporal
Corporal
SniperL96

PostSubject: Re: tips for preparing for the exams   tips for preparing for the exams Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2008 11:20 am

Roamer: oh,i thought u meant that it made it so u cant go to college.
Back to top Go down
Alabama_Sniper
Colonel
Colonel

PostSubject: Re: tips for preparing for the exams   tips for preparing for the exams Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2008 12:36 pm

I hate exams Math especially .
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/alabamaairsoft
SniperL96
Corporal
Corporal
SniperL96

PostSubject: Re: tips for preparing for the exams   tips for preparing for the exams Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2008 5:53 pm

can someone answer my my question about the engery drink
Back to top Go down
Alabama_Sniper
Colonel
Colonel

PostSubject: Re: tips for preparing for the exams   tips for preparing for the exams Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2008 8:19 pm

They make you tired .
Back to top Go down
Roamer
Captain
Captain
Roamer

PostSubject: Re: tips for preparing for the exams   tips for preparing for the exams Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2008 12:26 pm

caffeine will clog dopamine receptors in the brain and in therefore will help you focus on your exams, but as Alabama_sniper mentioned there is usually a crash associated with energy drinks. If you are going to take caffeine anywhere in the finals' process, take it near the final itself so that you can focus on test taking, not so much for focusing on studying. That is important, but you don't want to be at the crash portion of the energy drink cycle while taking an exam. That wont benefit you at all.
Back to top Go down
Alabama_Sniper
Colonel
Colonel

PostSubject: Re: tips for preparing for the exams   tips for preparing for the exams Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2008 1:31 pm

Yeah they sell a bag of chips around here that amounts to three energy drinks the'er coated with caffien I ain't tried them yet though my buddies say that they are pretty good .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: tips for preparing for the exams   tips for preparing for the exams Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

tips for preparing for the exams
Page 1 of 1